For your most wanted upcoming games: Do you follow development?

D

Darth Tagnan

So, do you tend to follow news about the development of upcoming games that you're particularly excited about?

Personally, I'm trying to stay away from news like that. I think the best way to play a new game is to know nothing about it. Obviously, I rarely succeed completely - but I'm getting better at it, especially when it's far way from release.

Also, I try hard not to read about it as I'm playing it - but that's much harder to do.

In the past, before the Internet - playing games was such a different experience. Everything happened in a vacuum, and I guess we were so innocently ignorant.

Often, I think that was for the best.

----

Anyway, what do you think?

No, i really enjoy following the development. I really couldn't care less if it spoils 3% of the game or so.. Before internet i followed development in magazines. This has always been a huge part of the hobby for me and i actually think its the best part; anticipating games, following games (tons of these games i never finish).

Yesterday i rewatched the 48 min Cyberpunk 2077 gameplay video, can't wait :)

For your most wanted upcoming games: Do you follow development?
Not really, no.
On the other hand, development of patches of fresh releases... I'm kinda addicted to it.

I'll follow it somewhat, but we really don't get to hear much. Just "it's started" then "we're working on it" for a few years then maybe a "we need a couple more months of 'polish'" and that's it.

Star Citizen is the big exception there. You can watch every group make a video status report of what's been going on! I'll sometimes watch just to see what sort of troubles that video game developers can get themselves into. (And also to marvel in wonder at how they can take the time to do video presentations of these things. You're lucky to get a one-paragraph email for one of my status reports!)

I learned the lesson the hard way in the nineties when I immersed myself in upcoming games before the actual release dates, and wound up spoiling myself beyond redemption. I've not dabbled in this much since then, with the exception of Pantheon and a few projects that I became aware of that Beamdog was working on. I prefer now to not be spoiled and enjoy the full release of all content when it actually happens.

I do follow development of games I look forward but not obsessively - so I sort of get an idea what the game will be like without spoiling it for myself too much ;)

I don't really follow development. I like going in completely blind really. Just let me know when the game officially releases (not Early Access) and I'm good to go. :)

Although Dart has once again deleted his account, this is a fun question… Anyhow I used to do that, but I've learned my lesson. No point getting excited of promises and previews. There is a big difference between the promised product and the delivered product. And I don't really have time anymore to follow game development that closely. I'm just happy to spend my free time playing the actual games and perhaps discussing about those experiences. :)

Last edited:
Well he got answers he needed so there was no reason for him to stay I guess.
In other words, hardly anyone is interested in development of his Destiny clone that'll use some 80s "ultimate movie" setting. ;)

Although Dart has once ago deleted his account, this is a fun question… Anyhow I used to do that, but I've learned my lesson. No point getting excited of promises and previews. There is a big difference between the promised product and the delivered product. And I don't really have time anymore to follow game development that closely. I'm just happy to spend my free time playing the actual games and perhaps discussing about those experiences. :)

The best example for me must be Trespasser, lol... i followed that game religiously, i mean every day + discussing the game almost daily on their forum, talked to the devs a few times in PM's and i even did an interview (for a Swedish site).. Then when the game got released, like 50% of what was promised was delivered, if even that.

Though it was a fun game to follow, and it was fun to be so engaged and the community was great. I was disappointed but it's not so bad when i think back on it, the game was not the best experience - but the things surrounding it were pretty fantastic (even if much of that was really make-belief more than anything else heh).

I will if its covered here in the news. I like reading the little news blips about this feature or that feature of upcoming games. It just is fun to keep track of news. I don't ever play betas or "early access" though. Probably the last game I really followed the development very closely was the Witcher 3. But that did have a lot of well done marketing and hype about it to be sure.

I do still get excited about certain games, and anticipate them, but its limited to just a few usually, as I'm pretty picky.

Back
Top Bottom