Revisiting Wing Commander

Korplem

Shipwreck
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
I've been itching to play the whole Wing Commander series for a quite a while now. A few days ago, I started up WC1 and realized that this game is f'ing hard! Seriously hard! I'm stunned by the idea that 12 year old me was able to beat this game a zillion times and now about 14 years later this game is kicking my ass and making me wonder if I should waste my time on it.

Has anybody else experienced this with WC or any other old games?

On a side note, I found an awesome version of dosbox for Mac OS X called Boxer. It's dosbox for idiots (or dosbox the Mac way). There is no mounting drives or configuring stuff. You just drop the folder into boxer and it does everything for you. I think someone may have mentioned it here before but I can't remember who.

There was a time when challenge was considered part of the fun of gaming.

I think most of us have forgotten how much effort games used to take :)

There was a time when challenge was considered part of the fun of gaming.

I think most of us have forgotten how much effort games used to take :)

Yes, I agree on both points. I remember a time before "Press A to win" when I had to actually master games. It's been so long since I've encountered it that I've forgotten just what it takes to master a game.

Loved Wing Commander and the Privateer series. Been wanting to do a replay. but have a zillion other things to play first! How about Strike Commander? I tried it once, and that game made WC seem like a breeze!

Any of ya'll check this out yet? Wing Commander Saga

I did replay about half through WC1. I think the key was to use keyboard instead of joystick. In first WCs keyboard is a very good option. It felt more accurate than logitech wireless joystick.

The version I played was actually 3DO super wing commander through 3DO emulator. Had to do som tweaking but managed to get it work perfectly in XP. Super WC is like first WC plus som expansion pack and half with much improved visuals.

I played the first 2 or 3 WCs with keyboard and mouse. If I started them again I'd do the same I think.

Back
Top Bottom