Shroud of the Avatar - Update #22, More Bonus Rewards

To me, as long as the game is GOOD, I don't care if it's multiplayer or single player. I don't care if it's a JRPG, a European RPG, an RPG from the moon. I simply do not care as long as the game is a good RPG.

You could be right, but it says this on one of their updates:

It doesn't state this does not apply to the offline mode.

I'm not sure what you are going on about. There are two versions of single player. One is a SPO - single player online the other is SP offline. Single player offline will never be online. That is purely on your machine.

SPO you will see things in the world that affect the whole world…like player shops and stuff that you can buy things from…and game events. You will not see any other players and y our story will be purely you by yourself.

You cannot transfer an offline character to online, so you will never have to connect. I think you would for patches, just like every other game.

The benefits of SPO is you can step it up to FPO - friends play online…where people you want to play with are there…and OPO which is all players, but much smaller then a true MMO. However, and I stress this you do not have to go beyond SPO if you don't want to. YOu can play completely offline and not see online things if you want to.

The confusion about there not being a single player mode is simply the fact they didn't really plan to have a completely offline mode because they thought everyone would want the benefits of being online such as shops from players.

I hope that clears that up, they consistently mention they want all the best things from U7 in the game…Richard says he is trying something new.

EDIT: you as the player have the ability to switch the mode you are playing in.

http://casualaggro.wordpress.com/20...-the-gaming-industry-should-take-notice-sota/

As you could have read from the original post, this is not what worries me. What worries me is that RG in previous interviews has shown no interest in doing an offline game again.

He starts with a game design that does not cater for offline playing. He finds out that this was a mistake or thinks he can get more money by adding it or whatever good or bad reason there was, but during the Kickstarter we get an offline mode.

So the person that showed no interest in doing an offline game anymore will now provide us with a kick-ass offline game that somehow fits into their designs for an online game. I've pledged because I hope this is true, but I'm not convinced.

The talk about single player is confusing sometimes as there are two different modes, offline and online and I'm not always sure what is referred to.

I agree. My take on this is that Richard has stated a couple of times now that he wants to change the multiplayer paradigm to something different from what is currently known as mainstream MMOs (i.e. wow, EQ etc.)

But my impression is that although he may have some ideas about how to create a rich story driven multiplayer experience, clearly those ideas are in their infancy. And since this is a kickstarter, we as backers are somewhat privy to much more of the brainstorming going on behind the scenes that under a conventional developer-publisher framework we (as players) would have very controlled and highly limited access to - at least during the development cycle.

So I think all this results in a sort of conflated back-and-forth between him and his team and the backers and we constantly are asking ourselves, 'wait, does that apply to single player' and things of that nature.

In addition I do remember RG's interviews in the last years where it became obvious that single player offline games are not the games he wants to develop as the future lies elsewhere in his opinion.

This is what nags at me also in combination with the fact that when you take a look at the questions many backers are asking about in interviews, the main focus of the questions from PLAYERS is about all things multiplayer. I continue feeling I'm really not part of the target demographic by SOME of the things RG states and by MANY of the questions backers are asking. I'm definitely feeling like I'm a solo-player minority in a sea of UO players.

Last edited:
Well this is purely my opinion, but for those of you that are really nostalgic for Ultima VII and want more games like it, don't back this, back Divinity: Original Sin. Larian has always talked about how big of an influence it was on the type of games they are trying to create. I agree with Myrthos, Gariott doesn't seem interested in creating games like that anymore. Larian is. In fact, they are looking to take that formula and improve it.

Well I backed Original Sin for quite a lot more than I backed Shroud of the Avatar.

I ended up taking some of my SotA money and putting it against OS.

As you could have read from the original post, this is not what worries me. What worries me is that RG in previous interviews has shown no interest in doing an offline game again.

He starts with a game design that does not cater for offline playing. He finds out that this was a mistake or thinks he can get more money by adding it or whatever good or bad reason there was, but during the Kickstarter we get an offline mode.

So the person that showed no interest in doing an offline game anymore will now provide us with a kick-ass offline game that somehow fits into their designs for an online game. I've pledged because I hope this is true, but I'm not convinced.

No, your original problem was single player...not offline...you then changed it to mean offline.

No, your original problem was single player…not offline…you then changed it to mean offline.

In my terminology, single player always means offline.

I backed this project as kickstarter seems the ideal place to try something new.

The thoughts that go in my mind is that they are maybe trying to create a living (changing/persistant) world through offline and online functionality. More or less like mount and blade but without the great AI and the various types of social, warfare and economic rules that the AI is bound by that makes the world alive. Maybe they want to use the online functionality to update the offline world (a lazy man's living world maybe;)).

Back
Top Bottom