A Farewell to Dragons [RPG]

I've purchased it on direct2drive.com website for 30 bucks. I've read the book, and aside from side quests the game follows it to the letter so far. Oh, and while there technically are three sides to the world, you're likely to be constrained to the Middle World, because Top world in uninhabitable to humans and you have no reason to return to the Bottom World.

I got it Saturday during the Steam summer sale, $7.49.

It's a real clunker of a game, that's not worth more than what I paid for it. i.e. I've seen Indie games with higher production values...

Now, as to the game play itself, I haven't had enough time with it yet to reach a conclusion, but I think that I can already safely hazard that it's not nearly as good as Drakensang nor as well polished nor as well translated.

Translation: Wow! This is the WORST translation to English that I've seen in a game. I haven't noticed any spelling errors yet nor any truly horrible grammar, but the text is best described as wooden, i.e. non-idiomatic and stiff. (Non-game worst translation goes to Asian engrishers...)

I gave AFtD a try, and didn't like it. Besides all the things that have already been pointed out, I also really hated the camera, and how there was no fog of war. You can scroll the map and see every creature, item, etc. without moving.

I gave AFtD a try, and didn't like it. Besides all the things that have already been pointed out, I also really hated the camera, and how there was no fog of war. You can scroll the map and see every creature, item, etc. without moving.
Yeah, this is DEFINITELY a game that is stuck in the '90's (as expected from russkies) the camera control is AWFUL, the engine is AWFUL, the translation is AWFUL, however I'm hoping to manage to slog through to the end.

If this game had been released in 1998 it'd've been a hit IFF they had good translation, however the limits of their engine and camera control are just hilariously CCCP quality… at best a sub $10 effort esp. given the low budget winner Drakensang…

(1C seems to be building their rep as a publisher of shit… I'm surprised that Valve took this one on while Planet Alcatraz seems to have had a better critical reception, but since it's only available from Gamersgate for a ludicrous $20 I'll wait for a $5 or less sale…)

[EDIT]
magerette needs MAJOR kudos forf playing this POS to the end…
[/EDIT]

[EDIT2]
Fog of war comment: yeah you can scroll to any area on the map, but AFAIK(and have seen) enemy mobs only show if your chars are nearby.. not much better, but…
[/EDIT2]

[EDIT3]
It just makes me wonder how the russkies crap out shit like this while CD Projekt is able to make a wonderful game like The Witcher, and another Polish company whose name I've forgotten make a decent ARPG like Two Worlds… sad…
[/EDIT3]

[EDIT4]
I'm frightened for Disciples III now, but then again, maybe I should've gotten Star Wolves 2(er 3): Civil War instead...
[/EDIT4]

Last edited:
It just makes me wonder how the russkies crap out shit like this while CD Projekt is able to make a wonderful game like The Witcher, and another Polish company whose name I've forgotten make a decent ARPG like Two Worlds… sad…

Well in all fairness, S.T.A.L.K.E.R and King's Bounty were from Russian developers, and they were both excellent imo.

And Majesty 2 is by Russian developers, as far as I know, as well.

There is lot of good games coming from Russia, but so are the bad ones, like this game.

Yeah, my point is for every King's Bounty and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. there are a 100 A Farewell to Dragon and worse…

Majesty: From what I've read about it people aren't as happy with it as they were with the original. Still not sure if the extra "expansion" addressed those problems or not and whether or not they at least got a map creation tool. Also no random map generator and some other key things(IMO) were also missing. [EDIT] Which is why I didn't even bother to pick it up when it was $5 or whatever it was cheap... [/EDIT]

Anyways, back to A Farewell to Dragons(haven't checked the tiny 1c forum yet), but does anyone know if there's a way to heal follower via potions who do NOT have character portraits? (I tried dropping a potion on one in the game play screen, but that just dropped it on the ground… no healer ATM…)

Does the game have a zoom function? Some of the screenies showing a high overhead view have put me off, but then other screenies seem to have a much closer, OTS view?

Does the game have a zoom function? Some of the screenies showing a high overhead view have put me off, but then other screenies seem to have a much closer, OTS view?
Yep, Q and E zoom in and out, and I discovered quite by accident that A, W, S, and D which pan the display also can rotated the camera when pressed in conjunction with the CONTROL key. Nice of them to bother documenting this, NOT!

As to the ailing hangers on, they, apparently, don't croak in Hilandia as I discovered a second was even worse off than the one that I originally wanted to heal, as in what looked to be almost zero health.

The engine's like a crappy version of the Infinity Engine written several years later.

[EDIT]
A NOTE on zooming: I don't seem to be able to zoom as close in as some of the screenshots on the default settings, but I'd guess there's a way to maybe change that. I haven't bothered to investigate yet as I usually max out zooming to better control the tactical situation, and better see the ubiquitous scenery objects to destroy for various ph47 1007(TM).

Hmmm… I had another quibble, but it escapes me ATM, but I'm sure to remember it again as soon as I subject myself to this game.

Voicing seems to be borked, or I misunderstand what's to be voiced as I get the music and FX but no voices AFAICS yet beyond the pre-recorded video narrations… kind of odd for a game so large as the gfx are nothing this side of the turn of the millenia… and even not up to BG standards…
[/EDIT]

[EDIT2]
Forgot Space Rangers in the list of good game, but IIRC BOTH SR & Stalker are by Ukrainians…
[/EDIT2]

[EDIT3]
The main looking config file appears to be the one named nvdd.ini which is in your profiles directory.

Looks to have a ton of settings in there, but I haven't had a chance to try changing any of them yet… and don't recall seeing it documented anywhere, although I seem to recall reading somewhere that this engine has been used in other games so there might be something to dig up about the engine elsewhere…

I remember two of the other quibbles now: pathing is beyond AWFUL… and that fog at the borders of the display?! (It's REALLY obvious when you zoon out max... kind of feeble for a game with such high sys reqs...)
[/EDIT3]

Last edited:
Anyone who finished this or did the traitor among cats quest??

Hi everyone.

Need some help with this quest. I have gotten to the bobrov map and cleaned out the raven camp but I don't see any evidence. The map shows a market but even standing right on it I find nothing.

Any help would be great.

Ninja, Magerette did a review on this one awhile ago.

Let's just say when she was playing the game I remembering her PMs wishing the game would just end. I believe she was actually a little more conservative in her review of the game.

I bought it before her review came out and regretted it. I like the steampunk additions, but the gameplay was horrible. I don't remember what was so horrible about it because I only played a few days and quit. There are better games out there to waste my time on. If you want a steampunk like game it's just better to play Arcanum again.

Ninja, Magerette did a review on this one awhile ago.

Let's just say when she was playing the game I remembering her PMs wishing the game would just end. I believe she was actually a little more conservative in her review of the game.

I bought it before her review came out and regretted it. I like the steampunk additions, but the gameplay was horrible. I don't remember what was so horrible about it because I only played a few days and quit. There are better games out there to waste my time on. If you want a steampunk like game it's just better to play Arcanum again.

That would require me having played it before! (I did buy it from GOG when it was $2.99, but haven't had time to play it yet!)

Yeah, I read that review, just was curious what someone else thought. I don't really care about combat, but if the story isn't great, it won't keep my attention.

Back
Top Bottom