Obsidian's new game revealed - Avowed

Not so weird when you consider this appears to be a first-person action-RPG. I think including PoE in the title would only lead to backlash.

Yeah, for some reason I can imagine what you're saying, about a backlash, but that still seems mental to me. To have a backlash over such a thing. :biggrin:

Was there a backlash for Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales? I imagine they could have come up with something similar. I imagine having Pillars in the name could be a positive. Anyway, it's their business.

Was there a backlash for Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales? I imagine they could have come up with something similar. I imagine having Pillars in the name could be a positive. Anyway, it's their business.

I'm not sure if that's the best analogy. Thronebreaker was just a lesser spin-off title.

I'm assuming this is a major big-budget release. Plus, "Pillars of Eternity" doesn't exactly fit easily into a subtitle.

Personally, I'm glad they're not including PoE in the name. I don't have a great feeling about this. I found The Outer Worlds disappointing in several ways, and with Obsidian being a subsidiary of Microsoft now, I expect them to continue heading down a more mainstream path design-wise.

So it's a first person ARPG set in the PoE setting? Gotta say I'm not excited right now but that might change when I see more game-play. Also not surprised due to three reasons.

1. Sales of the 2nd game weren't good.
2. Obsidian admitted they were going to make spin-offs.
3. Microsoft is funding the game.

People comparing this to… Elder Scrolls in the Youtube comments. :help: Going to be Outer Worlds = FNV all over again.

I'm ok with this being an action RPG if its character and story development is up to snuff, but there's practically no details given in the trailer. The drawing of magical runes by the PC was likely just artistic embellishment but I couldn't help thinking back to Arx Fatalis.

I'll be a bit optimistic. I've always thought that someone could take the TES style of game, and do it better. Without much to go on, this at least looks like that sort of game.

Although the Obsidian games haven't quite done it for me, I have seen many aspects I admire. I think they are a studio in the right ballpark, and you never know when they might knock it out of the park.

People comparing this to… Elder Scrolls in the Youtube comments. :help: Going to be Outer Worlds = FNV all over again
I just finished playing The Outer Worlds and it doesn't even compare to Fallout NV. It could probably be called a poor mans New Vegas. That game needed more funding.

Now with Microsoft funding Obsidian's new game it might actuality be a good ARPG.

I have mixed feelings about this… the concept seems interesting and worth being hyped about, but after seeing how they had all the wind in their sails with The Outer Worlds and they turned it into a bland and generic B-rating RPG shooter, I'm not very trusting.

Will keep an eye on it, of course, the potential is there.

I think they vastly overestimate the range of a longbow.

I think they vastly overestimate the range of a longbow.

200.gif

I'm excited very much. Looks like a my kind of game. :)

<shrug> It's Obsidian. Won't be bad, could be great, could be mediocre.

So now we have Avowed and Unavowed ?

I'm not overly enthused by this news, but will still check out reviews when it is fully out and determine where to go from what I read. I hope it's a solid game, but Obsidian is truly hit or miss with me.

Back
Top Bottom