RPGWatch Guild for DDO

Ok changed one name. You have to figure out who is who Friday. :)

Name: SherwinSorc
Race: Human
Class/build: Level 5 Sorcerer
Preferred weapon: (Rechargable)Wand of Fire/QuarterStaff +3

Free to Play player currently...lets see how far I can go. Have some cool gear which requires me to be in a guild to use.

Assuming you're playing on Khyber, where the guild is located, either post here or PM me with your exact DDO name and I'll send you a guild invite. We have heaps of stuff on our guild airship which you can avail yourself of.

Harakadaram is now 13, Aracaram 10 and Daracaram 10, too. Alrikadaram remains 16.

Name: Imbazil
Race: Halfling
Class: Rogue
Prefered weapon: something pointy I guess=)

Current level: 1

Hello everyone. I am currently downloading DDO (finally Corwin!) and will jump on the Khyber server and join the guild. I'm not sure what character I am running with yet.

This might not be the best place for it, but do you guys have any starter tips for a complete DDO noob? I have only played a few D&D games before, and certainly never one this detailed, so any advice would be great.

I have heard that you want to let the computer handle your level ups for you, so you don't screw anything up, but I'd love to be able to play my first character and level them up manually. Thoughts?

The canned builds aren't really that great. Manual building is definitely more effective. You REALLY want to use a character planner, though. Window shopping for feats and enhancements when you level up does not work.

This is the planner that pretty much everyone uses.

As for starter hints, a lot depends on what sort of toon you like- caster, melee, support, self-sufficient, what-have-you… A wizzy is fairly simple to build and run, but you won't be very self-sufficient until later in the game. A two handed fighter (as in two-handed weapons like great axes) is also fairly simple to put together. Unless you invest a lot of money into the game up front, you'll be doing a 28-point build, which makes some of the more "exotic" classes and builds more challenging to do effectively. Clerics are always welcome additions, but if you don't have a support mentality you're likely to be frustrated with the lack of offense (or the lack of ability at the "core" healing function if you try to force some offense into your build). Since I know you like to explore based on your LOTR posts, you might find a rogue fun—getting into all the locked/hidden/trapped areas is quite nice— but you lose a lot if you play them as a front-line melee. It really depends on how you like to play your toons.

Of the basic classes (aka "free"), I would avoid barbarian, bard, paladin, ranger, and sorceror. They can be very fun to play but aren't necessarily Noob-friendly for various reasons. Well, on second thought, a tempest ranger (basically a 2-weapon melee, as opposed to a bow-n-arrow type) might not be bad to cut your teeth on, so scratch ranger off that "no-go" list. Tougher to do right than a fighter, but still very viable if you're a Disciple of the Pointy Stick like me (says the guy who currently has 4 non-melee toons, a monk, and a bard--I have much shame)

Last edited:
I read your post after I rolled my character. I rolled a Deepwood Scout I believe. The one that can add explosive power to their arrows. So we'll see how this goes. If you guys want to send me a guild invite, my character's name is Ethandel Steadybow. Level 1.

You get 2 toons for free. Run your sniper for a while (level 7 or so will generally do the trick) and see how it goes. Build a second toon based on lessons learned. It can be a better ranger or something completely different. If the sniper turns into a hot mess or just isn't what you were expecting, delete it and try again. The time investment to get to level 7 (+/- a couple) isn't so much that deleting a toon is out of the question. I will advise that it's much better to punt than to force something that isn't working for you. I did delete a toon early in my "career" because the build was complete garbage. I also stuck with a toon for too long and couldn't wait to get her to level 20 so I could TR her into something useful (my melee bard that was a poorly built barbarian, FWIW). With a stable of 6 toons, it's possible to endure a mistake like that. With 2, it's just not worth the pain.

I'll keep that in mind, thanks.

Sadly, the game doesn't want to work properly on my laptop for some reason. Directx 10 or 11 crash the game instantly, and even on DX9, the first crypt won't load. I get stuck in complete darkness and can't do anything. I tried restarting the client, recalling out and going back in, etc. Nothing works. So I'm just waiting for Turbine technical support to try and help me out.

The game seems great but this is not a promising start if nothing is working as it should.

Weird that the game is crashing for you using DX9. Avoid 10 it has conflicts which do cause that black screen. Everyone else I know has no problems running the game even on old laptops.

Turns out I can't enter any interior locations as they all freeze. I really hope Turbine can help me. I'll probably have to uninstall and do a fresh download and install. Thankfully I'll be in the new place with a 50mb/s connection, so it shouldn't be too bad. Hopefully I'll be playing sometime early next week. Wish me luck.

Also, this game won major points with the left mouse click being your weapon attack and the fact you can smash barrels and crates. Awesome. Will definitely be a refreshing change from LOTRO.

Edit - Got it working in Direct X 11 with all interiors loading. Turns out I was using the wrong launcher to launch the game. In the crypt now and checking the game out. Awesome! Not sure if I'm going to keep this character though so no sense sending a guild invite just yet.

Last edited:
Let me tell you this right now Todd, DDO is amaaaaaazing so far. I'm in love. I will definitely give my thoughts later when I have spent more time with it. I've only gone through the first 2 quest dungeons and I barely have my feet wet yet, but so far I'm very impressed. More details coming Sunday when I'm moved into the new place and have access again to the internet. Turbine are flippin' geniuses.

Edit - Okay, maybe amazing is a bit strong of a word, but it's definitely leaving a good first impression. It's everything we know and love from D&D in a video game. All the stats, skills, feats, etc. It's very in depth thus far, and for someone who is not a D&D master, a bit overwhelming at first. I'll definitely need to brush up on my D&D rules and terms.

Last edited:
It can take quite some time to learn the in's and out's of the game. Several of us have spent over a week with one new guild newbie who is loving the game, but after creating 3 characters still has questions and is still learning. The best advice I can give you is to use Skype for voice and grab one or more of us from here and get us to explain stuff to you. You'll also find a ton of info in our Team Corwin thread, but you may not wish to wade through several thousand posts. :) We have been running a new set of TR's who are only at level 4, so we should be able to help you out before we get any higher. A 2 level difference is fine, but after that XP penalties start to apply to prevent power levelling. Anyway, feel free to ask for assistance, it's what we enjoy doing.

Thasabadram (should've been Thasabadaram, seems to be an overlooked typo of mine) is a new Favoured Soul at level 4, currently (Veteran Status I). He's not in the Guild yet, but I sent him an Guild invite.
He is modelled after the "Divine Avenger" path.

Okies lets try this again.. and i have far to many chars to name them all so i will simply name my main one if thats alright ^.^

Name: PunPun
Race: Half- elven (atm)
Class/build: Rogue / Artificer / Fighter
Preferred weapon: Repeating Heavy Crossbow.. of dooooooom!

Hmm. I think I'll reinstall DDO and give it another try. Seeing recent posts about DDO and after the recent fund raiser for D:OS has motivated me to try it again.

DDO and D:OS are different games, you know ?
I say it because you connected both in one sentence …

Back
Top Bottom