Witcher What camera mode do you prefer?

The Witcher

Jabberwocky

True Synaesthete
I'm playing in OTS camera mode almost exclusively. Never could get into isometric view in any game. Couple that with the fact that I hate turn based combat and you see why I never played NWN or sequels.

Anyway, supposedly OTS offers less tactical advantage than Isometric, but so far I've done better in combat with OTS... maybe 'cause I'm used to it? Also, it seems crazy (at least to me) but I think I get slightly better framerates in OTS. The camera in isometric rotates too slowly for my taste, and haven't found any option for speeding it up. Maybe that's a framerate issue? I'm getting near flawless PC performance in every other aspect.

Anywho... Your preferred camera angle of choice for the game?... the lines are now open!

I prefer OTS, but that is because I came to RPG's through FPS. I play any game I can in OTS / first person.

Mostly OTS but in combat with multiple opponents it's difficult to see if you succeed in causing a stun or knockdown your opponents, so there I switch to "isometric". (Why do they call it that? It's a top-down perspective view, not axonometric projection)

I use TD, but would prefer OtS but since I am unable to set my Forward motion to Right Mouse, it leaves me with little choice.

my first play through was almost exclusively OTS, but now I'm using F2 more in my second run. Combat seems more strategic and more under control imo. On the hard setting you need this as it is too easy to get mobbed and not be able to move in OTS mode.

I only use isometric - since this is more a BG/NWN type of game than Gothic in terms of combat, I prefer to click my way around.

OTS, imho you miss a lot of the game's atmosphere if you dont play that way
(especially the ambience in the city and some of the more "creepy" locations).
The visuals/world design just deserves to be viewed that way.

I don't mind the added challenge in combat either...

I use Isometric. Combat seems a lot more fun that way, more tactical. Switch between targets as needed, and knowing what is going on around me makes the game a lot of fun. For some reason I feel more Bad arse, and more heroic in the Isometric view.

That's interesting... It seems players are more or less split down the middle on camera modes.

I think the sky and view of the horizon is one of the most beautiful parts of the game. Plus somehow I feel claustrophobic on top-down view - like I can't see what's coming at me until it's right there.

@ Aclecius: That would be an odd control in any game. Why do you not want to use the keyboard?

I use both, for different things. I like to run through the world in OTS; it's like being there. Inside houses and such, I like the F2 mode as it seems more detailed.

For combat. I prefer to fight OTS, but when being mobbed I switch out to F2 to see the layout of the fight and plan strategy. I really enjoy this versatility in the camera modes and the developers get full credit for making it easy to use either style.

Jabberwocky
I feel claustrophobic on top-down view - like I can't see what's coming at me until it's right there
I have no idea why they designed the camera like this, they could easily let TD swing down to ground level, maybe it was just another thing due to being rushed out.

That would be an odd control in any game. Why do you not want to use the keyboard?
Well it came from playing FPSs and I also use a Thumb Trackball, it always bothered me having to push and pull a mouse while trying to play Coop, CtF, DM or do anything really.
There is so much unnecessary movement involved, it takes the whole arm, shoulders and a few back muscles to move those kind of mouses and a Thumb Trackball uses at least 10 times less movement and energy.

Then with the Right mouse button, this keeps all forward motion and firing on the right hand and allows all secondary functions like strafing and special actions to function solely on the left hand.
It seemed clumsy to me me trying to to say, try to hold down the run (w), alternating left (a) & right (d) and trying to use the jump key (c default on lots of games) while trying to time jumps between weapon shots coming my way.
It's worst when you would have to switch back and forth from w to s, while trying to move left, right and jump.

So technically even if I got tired or needed a hand for something important like a beverage while playing, I could just hold down my left and right mouse so I could fire and run at the same time with one hand. :biggrin:
On my left hand I actually use the s, d, f (left, back, right) keep my hand more centered, again I was too jammed up with the w,a,s,d positions.

I started in strategic view during the first chapter, then i switched to OTS and never looked back. Used the strateic view in the hellhound game. But i like the feeling of Gothic running aorund over the shoulder! :)

Perhaps my taste will differ during my next run through.

(Gosh, did you say NEXT run though... this must be a *great* game! )

you guys know that if you hold down the middle mouse button in low isometric it zooms into 3rd person. i just finished and i used it exclusively, it gives you a good perspective on the battles and its so easy to move around and free look by just holding the middle mouse button and using wasd to move. collecting herbs is much easier when you are not zoomed in. i like gothic style 3rd person but the witcher has some of the best/versitle controls i've ever used!

Back
Top Bottom