Fallout 3 - Level Design Diary

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Notes on Pulling Down the Sky is the title of a diary at the official Fallout 3 site on level design:
Fallout 3 has been the first Bethesda Game Studios project with a dedicated level design team from the outset. With this resource, we were able to set our sights higher than ever before. We knew early on that one of our big concepts for the game was to challenge the traditional RPG divisions between towns, wilderness, and dungeon. With that mission in mind, we actively sought to blur the lines and create a world that was at once believable, unpredictable, and above all; entertaining.
The Washington, D.C. area was a natural choice of setting for the game. Despite her architectural beauty and social significance, the Capital is surprisingly neglected as a setting in videogames. We believed, as locals, that we had a great opportunity to do her justice. This setting has been a blessing in many ways. The U.S. Capital is thick with imagery and symbolism which is only amplified against an apocalyptic backdrop. This is a city of beautifully distinct architecture and a variety of local charms from neighborhood to neighborhood. Those of us who don’t live within D.C. herself are a very short metro trip away from the heart of downtown, so research and inspiration were never far away.
More information.

I hadn't picked up on the fact the outdoors is effectively separate areas connected by underground passages before. That's pretty rare for Bethsoft, but presumably allows the areas to be richer.

I hadn't picked up on the fact the outdoors is effectively separate areas connected by underground passages before. That's pretty rare for Bethsoft, but presumably allows the areas to be richer.

I think the capitol wasteland will be an open world, save for the largest towns such as Megaton which are city cells such as the cities from Oblivion.

I have a feeling this diary is mainly about the Downtown D.C. I think it is this area that exist out of multiple city cells (like the Imperial City), but instead of being connected by direct transitions (like the gates of the Imperial city in Oblivion) they will be interconnected by the metro "dungeon" areas.

Well, since there is no magic, there will probably be no fuzz about having no levitation spells. The absence of jetpacks however... ;)

Back
Top Bottom