Deus Ex: The Fall - Teased with E3 Appearance?

No, it means that work and effort that could have been focused on a worthwhile platform - has now gone to waste for a cheap cash-grab.

If it's a smash, then the likelihood of another AAA PC version is that much smaller.

Deus Ex on an iPhone?

If it was iPad exclusive - maybe I could attempt to take it seriously - but iPhone support?

I lack the words….

I'm a little surprised by the reaction. Have Eidos given eternal oaths to pc and console gamers that they're going to love them and only them til death do them part or something? Reading what you want in such a tiny post (declaring it an 'instabuy' before you even know what it is?… come on…) that was made with obvious good intentions and reacting like that is what makes developers hide away and only attempt to communicate with their audience through their lawyer's words.

I'm pretty sure we're getting the proper sequel anyway, and if not… it's not like there are no other games to play. A Deux Ex game on the ipad would hurt no one, it's just one more option, and I at least am interested in it.

Does someone have to swear an oath before you can be disappointed?

Deus Ex has never been an iOS franchise - and there was no reason to expect a big announcement like this to be the first step towards changing that.

They could have just announced it instead of all that teasing bullshit - especially after the movie tie-in or whatever.

Again, I don't know why people think that it doesn't matter in the long-term - because it very obviously matters.

Deus Ex: HR was made primarily for one reason only: Investors believed that it could turn a decent profit. It was a reasonable hit - but not at all the smash it needed to be to guarentee more PC games on the same AAA scale.

If an iPad game turns out to be a huge smash - there's a risk they'll forget about the PC platform for years and focus their efforts on the better and safer investment.

Maybe that's not going to happen, but since I'm already doubting a real DE:HR sequel - it doesn't exactly inspire confidence to hear about yet another non-PC development.

In fact, I would have expected a proper expansion to be released by now - or at the very least, I expected this to be the announcement of a sequel.

I love Deus Ex - and I found DE:HR to be among a TINY handful of worthwhile AAA games in the past decade or so.

So shoot me for being disappointed and somewhat pissed off.

I care of none of these things. How they run their business, managing their time and resources, their motives, how, when and what they decide to produce is entirely for them to figure out. All I care about is that a game I might like might be coming out. If and when it's released, if I'm interested in it and if I feel like it then I'm going to play it.

I understand being a little disappointed when you hoped something different but strong reactions come from projecting your own expectations and getting too excited over a practically unsubstantial piece of information.

(considering how communication occurs in the web people should learn not to take anything for granted until its clarified - there's a natural spontaneity, not every little post is a result of carefully considering all potential outcomes. And that's fortunate as I see it as it should allow us to communicate as human beings and not as politicians)

I care of none of these things. How they run their business, managing their time and resources, their motives, how, when and what they decide to produce is entirely for them to figure out. All I care about is that a game I might like might be coming out. If and when it's released, if I'm interested in it and if I feel like it then I'm going to play it.

I understand being a little disappointed when you hoped something different but strong reactions come from projecting your own expectations and getting too excited over a practically unsubstantial piece of information.

(considering how communication occurs in the web people should learn not to take anything for granted until its clarified - there's a natural spontaneity, not every little post is a result of carefully considering all potential outcomes. And that's fortunate as I see it as it should allow us to communicate as human beings and not as politicians)

If you don't care about these things and you don't think about how things work in the long-term, that's one thing.

But try to imagine something you DO care about - and then maybe it's clearer.

It's not about taking anything for granted - but about being disappointed because you wanted something else. Disappointment is an emotion beyond our control. If you don't think it's reasonable to express disappointment and explain the reason you're disappointed - then that's on you.

Trying to teach people what they should and shouldn't be disappointed by is fine - if you can live up to it yourself. But since you're a human being - you can't.

Like if you're in love with a girl and she doesn't want anything to do with you. You're not taking her love for granted, but you'd still be really disappointed.

Get it?

It's easy to tell people they shouldn't expect anything at all - but it's also a bit bullshit. We all expect something even if it's not based on sworn oaths.

Like, if your favorite RPG series was suddenly cancelled and turned into exclusively iPad games.

You can harp on about not being disappointed by something like that, but that'd be complete bullshit.

The difference here is simply that you're not invested in Deus Ex like I am - and others are.

So, with a little empathy you might have understood and saved us your sermon.

The only thing they did "wrong" here - to my mind - is making such a big deal out these news.

Not exactly news in the modern industry - but when you couple it with the love of Deus Ex - it shouldn't be impossible to grasp why people are not happy about it.

See you're doing it again - you're assuming too much from what I said. One example: I didn't say you shouldn't expect anything at all, I said you shouldn't take for granted more than was clearly promised - this short tweet never promised a pc game, so even though I understand you being somewhat disappointed I find it unfair to blame them harshly for it (and yeah, I would prefer a pc game too, but if they don't want to do one the decision is theirs and so are the consequences - good or bad). If I'm in love with a girl and she wants nothing to do with me I can be disappointed but it's her right and I won't blame her (as long as she didn't actively lie to me), we can still be in good terms even if I'm still suffering a little (and I can assure you that I absolutely live up to that).

And by the way I'm not teaching people anything, I'm just posting my views. Stop trying to teach me what I should or should not say.

See you're doing it again - you're assuming too much from what I said. One example: I didn't say you shouldn't expect anything at all, I said you shouldn't take for granted more than was clearly promised - this short tweet never promised a pc game, so even though I understand you being somewhat disappointed I find it unfair to blame them harshly for it (and yeah, I would prefer a pc game too). If I'm in love with a girl and she wants nothing to do with me I can be disappointed but it's her right and I won't blame her (as long as she didn't actively lie to me), we can still be in good terms even if I'm still suffering a little (and I can assure you that I absolutely live up to that).

Again, I don't take anything for granted. I just wanted something different.

I'm not blaming them harshly for anything. I'm saying they trolled us with these news - because that's how I feel. Calling them trolls is harsh blame? I don't think so.

I'm not blaming them for the iPhone/iPad version - but the way they built up to the announcement. Try to appreciate that.

Like if a girl had been sending me signals for ages and was fully aware that I liked her - then she says she has some great news and ends up telling me that she's found another guy.

SE knows full well that they have millions of fans dying to get their hands on a new Deus Ex - and they know full well that they're not dying to get a simplistic iPhone version.

The RIGHT way to go about this - would be to say "it's not a PC sequel" or something to that effect - BEFORE the announcement.

But, no, I don't take for granted that they're going to do the right thing. But I reserve the right to bitch about it when they don't.

And by the way I'm not teaching people anything, I'm just posting my views. Stop trying to teach me what I should or should not say.

People can read - so let's not go to fantasy land.

You're using words like "you shouldn't" - so yes, you're either preaching or trying to teach here. Maybe you don't mean to do that - but it's hardly my fault that you're using the wrong words, in that case.

I have NOT used those words - and so you can't point out where I did. That's why I like written exchanges sometimes - because people can't get away with that kind of accusation.

I don't mind that you're preaching if you feel it's appropriate. I'm just saying you're bullshitting if you're pretending you couldn't have the same reaction to something you really care about.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom