Dark Souls II - Beta Impression @ AnalogAddiction

All of this discussion makes me want to play Dark Souls again (with M & K ofcourse) - I did not finish it the first time after 60 hours due to work committments.

It also makes me want to have another round with Mount and Blade Warband - I miss the sieges and horseback slaughters.

I thought we were talking about why I prefer K&M over controller. At least that's what I originally posted and you responded to.

If we want to talk about what mouse most people prefer I won't pretend to know. Apparently you know though.

If we want to follow the majority then let's put down our m&k and controller and start playing on our tablets and phones..

You previously made statements that sounded as if you were trying to put forth general facts rather than talking about your own personal preference. Statements like…

Being able to turn on a dime when flanked or turn 180 in a split second is much better than the laggy and slow rotation of the analog controller.

and

Having 13 buttons on my mouse and another cluster of buttons around WSAD is better than the limited buttons on a controller.

My mistake if those statements were only meant to apply to you.

I doubt it's common sense as that would require that nearly all people know it and I would bet most don't know or care about binding multiple actions to the same key or not.

I think you might have misunderstood what I was saying there. What I meant is that it's common sense to bind multiple actions to the same key when there's no reason not to. Like the example I gave in Mass Effect 2.

To bind each of those actions to a separate key just for the sake of doing it wouldn't make much sense now would it?

Again, we are having two different discussion then, my original response was to the assertion that all 3rd person games are better with a controller. Which was posted by someone else.

Then I'm not sure why you asked the question. How many times do I need to repeat that I only prefer a controller with DS and not games in general? I had already stated it at least once in this thread.

I have to tell you that I absolutely hate the one awesome button to rule them all approach in Mass Effect 3. Space bar is used to sprint, take cover, jump over cover, and use (ie open door, heal teammate, pick up pizza, etc). It is the most annoying design feature of the ME3 UI. Frequent deadly mistakes include:

(1) you sprint when you meant to take cover, or
(2) jump over cover rather than taking cover behind it.

Last edited:
You previously made statements that sounded as if you were trying to put forth general facts rather than talking about your own personal preference. Statements like…

and

My mistake if those statements were only meant to apply to you.

Going back and reading, your right it does sound that way I'm usually pretty good about saying "IMO" too.

Sorry for the confusion, it's personal preference but those things are very important to me.

I think you might have misunderstood what I was saying there. What I meant is that it's common sense to bind multiple actions to the same key when there's no reason not to. Like the example I gave in Mass Effect 2.

To bind each of those actions to a separate key just for the sake of doing it wouldn't make much sense now would it?

I understand what your saying but you might be surprised by how many people dislike that. ( see Thrasher below)

Then I'm not sure why you asked the question. How many times do I need to repeat that I only prefer a controller with DS and not games in general? I had already stated it at least once in this thread.

11 times, no I'm just joking.

Initially i responded to Vurts blanket 3rd person post, then I thought you were talking about all 3rd person also, then you said you weren't and by that time I still was and then everything was messed up.:lol:

I understand now your only talking about dark souls and I can't really blame you as you have to jump through quite a few hoops to get m&k to work acceptably in DS.

They did say the would focus more on K&M support for DS2, so I'll be interested to see how it plays.

I do appreciate you keeping your cool and not flying off the handle when there's a misunderstanding like many on the net will.

So kudos to you, JDR13.

Are you using LGS or setpoint and what problems did you have?

I remember having to actually uninstall setpoint because it crashed some games but I haven't had any problems with LGS but any heads up to any potential problems is always appreciated.:)

I'm using LGS and it's been really buggy.

Sometimes I can't switch profiles, either with a button on the mouse or actually selecting the profile from the list.

Sometimes the DPI reverts to a super low number and I can't change it without restarting my computer.

Here's a fun one. The software won't recognize the mouse unless it's plugged in.

Sometimes my settings don't save in the profiles, and when I select them again all the values are different.

These are just a few things that have happened since I've had this mouse. I like it a lot but it definitely has some bugs.

I have yet to see a solid software product come out of logitech. Hardware has been flakey too but mostly good. Yet I prefer their designs. Love hate relationship.

I understand what your saying but you might be surprised by how many people dislike that. ( see Thrasher below).

No, it doesn't surprise me that people have different preferences. I just think the advantages outweigh the occasional annoyances for control schemes such as that.

I have to tell you that I absolutely hate the one awesome button to rule them all approach in Mass Effect 3. Space bar is used to sprint, take cover, jump over cover, and use (ie open door, heal teammate, pick up pizza, etc). It is the most annoying design feature of the ME3 UI. Frequent deadly mistakes include:

(1) you sprint when you meant to take cover, or
(2) jump over cover rather than taking cover behind it.

First time I've ever heard someone mention it, and to be honest, neither of the above scenarios ever happened to me a single time in ME2 which uses the exact same scheme.

I guess I can see the first scenario happening in some instances, but it would fairly difficult considering that, in order to take cover, one would obviously approach the cover first, and you're automatically going to take cover if you're close enough to it.

The second scenario would be due to player error rather than the control scheme. You can only jump over something after you've taken cover first. That means you have to hit the space bar twice in order to do that.

I'm using LGS and it's been really buggy.

Sometimes I can't switch profiles, either with a button on the mouse or actually selecting the profile from the list.

Sometimes the DPI reverts to a super low number and I can't change it without restarting my computer.

Here's a fun one. The software won't recognize the mouse unless it's plugged in.

Sometimes my settings don't save in the profiles, and when I select them again all the values are different.

These are just a few things that have happened since I've had this mouse. I like it a lot but it definitely has some bugs.

That's sad to hear.

I hate to be that guy but I haven't had a single issue since ditching setpoint for LGS :) but as Trasher stated Logitech is notorious for having bad software.

Too bad too because there hardware is top notch IMO. Their mice anyways.

I don't use a ton of profiles though I usually try to set up the buttons in the games menu if possible but unfortunately it's not always possible.

First time I've ever heard someone mention it

You have much to learn young padawan. Just google it, if you really want to learn about it. The ME3 community has been very noisy about it. In particular multiplayer, where lack of precision can spell a quick death.
I guess I can see the first scenario happening in some instances, but it would fairly difficult

No. It's a very easy screw up. Try sprinting when you are next to cover. But do it in Mass Effect 3.

The second scenario would be due to player error rather than the control scheme. You can only jump over something after you've taken cover first. That means you have to hit the space bar twice in order to do that.

Nope. That's not how it works in ME3. You can jump over in one fluid motion.

You have much to learn young padawan. Just google it, if you really want to learn about it. The ME3 community has been very noisy about it. In particular multiplayer, where lack of precision can spell a quick death.

I'm just surprised that I've never seen complaints about the contols here before considering how many discussions there have been about ME3. Multiplayer can be a different beast though. I'll take your word for it.

No. It's a very easy screw up. Try sprinting when you are next to cover. But do it in Mass Effect 3.

It sounds like they've changed the mechanics from ME2 despite using the same control scheme. I'm about to start playing ME3 actually so I guess I'll see for myself soon.

I hated that control scheme as well, but I never thought to mention it. Not sure why - but I give you my personal guarentee that I absolutely despise having to use a single key for 3-4 wildly different things like that.

It's an obvious consequence of lazily porting from a controller layout.

IDK, I thought it worked quite well in ME2, and I never had any issues with it at all. It sounds like they must have made some fundamental changes for it to be that wonky in ME3.

We're talking about Bioware though. I no longer expect the logical from them. :)

That's sad to hear.

I hate to be that guy but I haven't had a single issue since ditching setpoint for LGS :) but as Trasher stated Logitech is notorious for having bad software.

Too bad too because there hardware is top notch IMO. Their mice anyways.

I don't use a ton of profiles though I usually try to set up the buttons in the games menu if possible but unfortunately it's not always possible.

I've since switched to automatic game detection and it's been okay. The only bug that happens here is sometimes the names of the profiles overwrite back to "default profile", but I can still tell what profiles they are by the icons.

I love the mouse, don't get me wrong. Having 13 programmable buttons is just amazing for gaming. I didn't realize how much that would change my gaming experience, but it really has. I just wish the software was a little less buggy.

Back
Top Bottom