Dishonored 2 - Female Protagonist

Well, you can pause and hammer health and ability potions even during combat in Skyrim, you can have an insanely high armor class before approaching an encounter, you can go do something completely different to avoid an encounter, etc. Dishonored is not nearly as RPG or stats based in any way. It's mostly based on player hand-eye coordination.

If you take the stealth route, then caution, timing and patience are the primary skills.

I'm afraid you can't play Skyrim without hand-eye coordination - which is true for all games involving hands and eyes, so your argument has been nullified. If you're talking about particularly keen hand-eye coordination, then again - it's not needed in stealth games. If you can control your character without walking into stuff - then you can succeed through use of the other skills. Supreme hand-eye coordination will give you absolutely nothing if you can't be patient, observant and have decent timing.

But this is silly and off topic. Obviously, you're not going to budge on your laughably ignorant position on stealth games and that's ok with me :)

Ignorant? Again, let me repeat:

It's mostly based on player hand-eye coordination. WHICH IS OK! It's just not for me!

Perhaps you should work on your reading skills. Read my first comment in this thread, for example.

Another denuvo success story.

Sorry but no.
The game was released on PC in pisspoor state. Broken.
It got patched later, but it was too late, many heard it's Arkham Knight 2 and now don't trust it.

Sorry but no.
The game was released on PC in pisspoor state. Broken…

Funny how denuvo seems to have that effect on virtually all games…

Also funny how Skyrim, that you have repeatedly characterized as terribly broken, has sold over 20 million copies.

[Edit] I do not want to hijack this thread. Am done with DH2 denuvo observations
Regards,

__

Dunno what's exactly funny. Skyrim based it's sales on the modding scene and it worked. It would sell equal numbers if Denuvo existed back then. If modders boycotted it, it would have failed.
Speaking of sales numbers, I guess you bought horse armor DLC. I didn't.

Denuvo doesn't have "nonexisting QA" effect on games. CEOs have that effect.
But… Believe what you want.

I just never get into stealth games. Every one I've played feels like meta gaming…. Oh, I got caught doing XYZ? OK, I'll reload and go ZYX. Oh that didn't work either? OK, reload.

Not all of them... Blacklist, MGSV and Alpha Protocol ( ok, kidding about that one) are best when your plan goes to shit and you need to improvise.
You're ruining the fun with reloads... good action stealth shine in control of that hunter to hunted rhythm.
D1/2 games are not a good example for this...serviceable stealth mechanics, and in game morality tied to it.

Usually don't give a damn about this fem vs. patriarchy nonsense...but this guy needs to grow a pair.
You're creator of your work, you get to decide what goes into it.
Seems we'll never get another Xana in Arkane games from now on. :raincloud:

Always play female toons if I have a choice. Tired of listening to guys testosterone bullshit, before drumpt was elected or this thread. Not to mention, I would always rather look at a girl. ;p

Sorry but no.
The game was released on PC in pisspoor state. Broken.
It got patched later, but it was too late, many heard it's Arkham Knight 2 and now don't trust it.
I loved Dishonored and specifically haven't bought Dishonored 2 because of denuvo. I have never played any game with it, so at least one of us protesters will not.

Side note: Not my style of game but, denuvo was removed from Hitman today.

Derulo is a no-buy from me... ever.. period.

This did not stop me from thoroughly enjoying Dishonored 2.

I just never get into stealth games. Every one I've played feels like meta gaming…. Oh, I got caught doing XYZ? OK, I'll reload and go ZYX. Oh that didn't work either? OK, reload.

Real Consequences Mode. :nod: :please: :fingerscrossed:

I play quite a few stealth-like games, in addition to playing quite a few RPGs, and the way stealth is implemented is often very different from game to game.

For example, in Hitman series games from around 10 years ago if someone notices you then the scenario literally ends and you need to reload (I do not know about games in the series lately). I hated that, because for me it meant just reloading a lot since I'm not great at stealth.

By contrast, in Dishonored 2 you can almost always run away and hide until the heat dies down and try again. Or you can play the next several minutes as a shooter or as a hack-and-slash if you don't want to hide somewhere for a minute or two. In my view good games such as Dishonored 2 give choices.

^ That really sounds to me as a No Fail State design, which is fine if it's an option. A Real Consequences Mode would be more like Hitman, only improved and balanced appropriately via difficulty settings. So there would be easier versions as well as more hardcore options you could select.

But really, my idea of a Consequences Mode would be more for an RPG designed like Gothic. You head into the Old Camp, do something stupid or trust someone you shouldn't have, get beat up, ore stolen and can't reload. Or you turn an NPC hostile/make an enemy and you have to live with those consequences. In a stealth game, I don't see many other options in-between besides either "hide/wait" or "lose/re-load".

Hmm, or maybe you make a bad move, get spotted, and now a few extra guards start guarding a door you were trying to enter, thus forcing you to try another route. Is that already in the game?

^ That really sounds to me as a No Fail State design, which is fine if it's an option. A Real Consequences Mode would be more like Hitman, only improved and balanced appropriately via difficulty settings. So there would be easier versions as well as more hardcore options you could select.

But really, my idea of a Consequences Mode would be more for an RPG designed like Gothic. You head into the Old Camp, do something stupid or trust someone you shouldn't have, get beat up, ore stolen and can't reload. Or you turn an NPC hostile/make an enemy and you have to live with those consequences. In a stealth game, I don't see many other options in-between besides either "hide/wait" or "lose/re-load".

Hmm, or maybe you make a bad move, get spotted, and now a few extra guards start guarding a door you were trying to enter, thus forcing you to try another route. Is that already in the game?

It's not a no-fail state if you care about low chaos and "Ghost" playthroughs - which most dedicated stealth players do.

If you're spotted in Dishonored 2 - you will fail in terms of the stealth performance, even if you survive to tell the tale.

Personally, I always go for pure stealth - and it's quite challenging to never get spotted or mess up in some way.

It requires great patience and you have to spend time observing movement patterns and such.

It's not a no-fail state if you care about low chaos and "Ghost" playthroughs - which most dedicated stealth players do.

If you're spotted in Dishonored 2 - you will fail in terms of the stealth performance, even if you survive to tell the tale.

Personally, I always go for pure stealth - and it's quite challenging to never get spotted or mess up in some way.

It requires great patience and you have to spend time observing movement patterns and such.

So in other words, they make it like Lords of Xulima, in that you are rewarded (in Xulima's case, via points on a scoreboard, the Hall of Heroes) for completing the missions/game a certain way? That's a solution I don't find particularly engrossing personally, but I can understand it being somewhat of an incentive for players. Low chaos/"ghost" playthroughs also change the ending of the game, right? That's obviously a bit better than just getting a "high score".

Can you spam save in the game as well? Note that I'm not trying to knock this particular game in any way, it's just that lately I've had ideas for the Consequences Mode that I think would add more interest to RPGs, especially, and I'm hoping that future games that offer risk/reward type of gameplay can start actually giving options to make it more risk/reward, rather than mitigating risk because of the game design (save anywhere, re-load anywhere, etc..)

So in other words, they make it like Lords of Xulima, in that you are rewarded (in Xulima's case, via points on a scoreboard, the Hall of Heroes) for completing the missions/game a certain way? That's a solution I don't find particularly engrossing personally, but I can understand it being somewhat of an incentive for players. Low chaos/"ghost" playthroughs also change the ending of the game, right? That's obviously a bit better than just getting a "high score".

You're rewarded with the knowledge that you were as stealthy as possible and you played the game very well - which I consider a great satisfaction as a fan of stealth gameplay.

Can you spam save in the game as well? Note that I'm not trying to knock this particular game in any way, it's just that lately I've had ideas for the Consequences Mode that I think would add more interest to RPGs, especially, and I'm hoping that future games that offer risk/reward type of gameplay can start actually giving options to make it more risk/reward, rather than mitigating risk because of the game design (save anywhere, re-load anywhere, etc..)

DH2 is full of options to enable or disable a variety of features. Off hand, I can't remember if there's a way to limit saves - but it wouldn't surprise me.

I think we've noticed your idea by now - as you've mentioned it about a dozen times in your last few posts :)

Lots of games employ very harsh consequences - like Dark Souls or most genuine rogue-likes where death is permanent.

Same goes for lots of RPGs where you won't see the consequence of your choice until much later in the game - meaning you can't really reload and fix it. Witcher games, for instance, are famous for that kind of gameplay.

Personally, I enjoy games that make choice an important concept - and where you feel the consequences throughout the game. Unfortunately, most modern developers are subject to the publisher model - and the publishers aren't keen on excluding the vast majority of gamers - who're not really interested in such harsh gameplay.

Long-reaching consequences are fine, but I prefer to see them in small minute-to-minute things. Simple example, doing that early quest in the Old Camp in Gothic, where you think you're this big hero only to essentially get led down a dark alley, beat up and robbed. :p

Most people would just re-load their game and not do that quest. I think it would be cool if there was a mode where you had to roll with the punches.

Back
Top Bottom