Fallout 76 - Players Offered Compensation

I'm not a fan of multiplayer games. But I wonder if Bethesda can turn this game around like they did with 'The Elder Scrolls Online'.

I seem to remember ESO getting panned when it first released, but then they radically updated the game and people now praise it as a good MMORPG.

It'll be interesting to see if they can do the same with this game, or if they'll just give up on it.

Well they said there are millions playing it and millions playing it a lot, so it's probably a success for them. I don't see them backing out now with so much invested and some millions of players playing it.

I seem to remember ESO getting panned when it first released
Relative to this, not really. ESO has a 71 on Metacritic, which isn't that bad, a lot of good games that are a bit rough-around-the edges end up around there. FO76 is sitting at 49-55, depending on the platform, which is just "terrible" territory.

Well they said there are millions playing it and millions playing it a lot, so it's probably a success for them. I don't see them backing out now with so much invested and some millions of players playing it.
I really don't believe that "millions" (2M+?) are playing this game "a lot". Though I guess "a lot" can be defined as whatever the writer wants, so there's plenty of wiggle room there.

Bethesda games are just a consistent miss for me. From the horrible interfaces to the ultra repetitive gameplay to the complete lack of imagination I find them soulless and not much fun at all. I hate their almost open hostility to the PC space and the complete lack of polish their games have. I played this in beta with my friend and all I could think is that the map was really cool, but it needed to be given to another company to develop an actual game around. I sort of hate Bethesda, and the Fallout setting has become uber trite and very very boring.

Bethesda games are just a consistent miss for me. From the horrible interfaces to the ultra repetitive gameplay to the complete lack of imagination I find them soulless and not much fun at all. I hate their almost open hostility to the PC space and the complete lack of polish their games have. I played this in beta with my friend and all I could think is that the map was really cool, but it needed to be given to another company to develop an actual game around. I sort of hate Bethesda, and the Fallout setting has become uber trite and very very boring.
100% spot on with all that. For me, the ES series became too bad after Morrowind for me to actually play, though I did try to play both Oblivion and Skyrim - just couldn't stand them for more than a couple hours. Played Fallout 3 and 4 all the way through, and they were okay, but like I think you're saying, they've really ruined the setting over the years and I think Fallout 76 has just done a ton more damage to it now too. I suspect Bethesda may be completely done now, as a developer that I have reason to pay any attention to. I don't mind ES fanboys playing their games in peace while I pay them no mind - what I dislike the most about it all is that they pulled Fallout into their black hole of suck.

Not sure what all the crying is about?

They produce second rate games with zero stories to being with.

I am not saying with skyrim I didn't have a lot of fun running around finding caves all over the place....

Story wise it was shorter that my last...anyways no need to be that rude is there..

People complaining about gaming companies that keep offering worst and worst games over the last 20 years and this game that i haven't played nor would ever is the straw that broke the camels back if that is PC still.

Talk is cheap ... you not what isn't to companies...real money ... so stop giving it to them.

A lawsuit threat seem to do wonders in our days...While i enjoy Bethesda's game for what they are (walking simulators with included combat), i don't consider them great. They are fun for a while, you take a break, start playing them again.

Morrowind was an oddity, as it was relatively polished and it introduced a lot of interesting lore, provided that you were willing to actually read it. The quests were a wee bit better.

After Morrowind things went downhill. The story went from mediocre to bad or almost a skeleton of a story. The gameplay got worse. Every single Bethesda game released after Morrowind relied on the community to fix its problems. Now that the community won't step in to fix their damn problems, Bethesda might change its tune (doubtful, but we can dream).

P.S.: ESO was made by a different company, contracted by Bethesda to develop the game. Fo76 was made directly by Bethesda and it demonstrates their inability to actually deal with the problems created by their archaic engine.

P.S.: ESO was made by a different company, contracted by Bethesda to develop the game. Fo76 was made directly by Bethesda and it demonstrates their inability to actually deal with the problems created by their archaic engine.
ZeniMax Online developed ESO, and they weren't "contracted by Bethesda", they are a subsidiary of ZeniMax Media.

Bethesda Softworks, who in turn owns Bethesda Game Studios (the people who developed FO3/FO4/FO76), is also a subsidiary of ZeniMax Media.

Basically, they are sister companies.

The whining in this thread is getting as old as Beth's engine :p

Yes but now our whining has truth behind it.

The faults of their stale design have been exposed.

So hallelujah die-hard groupies can't use the usual excuses to defend them this time.

But the old antibug-o-ramas groupies like me are tired of attacking the same thing for the xth time.
Dunno if you've noticed, but I'm mostly just laughing now. Somehow, I cba to care anymore. There are more pressing issues to be a black sheep for being negative about today (lootboxes for example).
In the end, it's all choices & consequences.

Last edited:
The whining is totally justified though. This is an attempt to bank huge cash on a beloved IP while doing a minimal effort:
Radial (automatic) generated quests only
No NPC so no dialog
Textures and assets reused from other games
Gameplay directly taken of Fo4 with nothing new
An area chosen because of the beautiful landscapes but its lack of striking landmarks so a free run for the automatic landscape generator with a minimal human interaction.
No main story
No QA involvement
And obviously MP so the fun is totally DIY.

So anyone is entitled to have fun since that is F04 in a new place without all the costly things (story, quests, special places, new assets etc..).
But anyone is also entitled to think than Bethesda is pushing the "I piss on you" attitude a bit too far.

Don’t like a game and you’re a whiner, like a game and you’re a fanboy. Gotta love the internet.

I was a big fan of skyrim but Bethesda really messed up here and this compensation is a joke.

Kinda like someone selling you a car that’s a lemon and then when you complain they give you a coupon for 1/2 off an oil change and tell you to enjoy.

Don?t like a game and you?re a whiner, like a game and you?re a fanboy. Gotta love the internet.

I was a big fan of skyrim but Bethesda really messed up here and this compensation is a joke.

Kinda like someone selling you a car that?s a lemon and then when you complain they give you a coupon for 1/2 off an oil change and tell you to enjoy.
There is a new word also now in circulation. If you don't like a game, a tv show or a movie you are a hater.

So, if a consumer has an issue with a product they purchased they shouldn't contact the company and complain? Or to use your words "whine"? What are consumers supposed to do? Just accept that they purchased a sub-par product and deal with it? How are companies supposed to to create better products if the consumer dpesn't "whine" about it?

Back
Top Bottom