Encased - Review @ Wccftech

Redglyph

proud GASP member
Wccftech has reviewed Encased and given a 7.7 score, details in the article.

Encased: A Sci-Fi Post-Apocalyptic RPG Review - The Post-Dome Dream

The first two entries in the Fallout series still hold a dear place in the hearts of many RPG fans, thanks to their post-apocalyptic setting and classic RPG gameplay mechanics. Developers know this all too well, and the fact that the series has changed so much since the second game allowed many studios to attempt to fill the void with their own take on the post-apocalyptic setting made popular by Fallout. The Wasteland series successfully managed to do so, especially with the third entry in the series released last year, but now a new contender has risen. It's Encased: A Sci-Fi Post- Apocalyptic, a game that can definitely rival Fallout in terms of setting and worldbuilding, although some issues prevent it from achieving the must-have status for all sorts of players.

[...]

Encased: A Sci-Fi Post-Apocalyptic RPG is a worthy purchase for all fans of classic Fallout games, thanks to a well-crafted post-apocalyptic setting, great worldbuilding, reactive world, and solid overall gameplay. The clunky interface, basic combat, verbose writing, and overwhelming amount of status conditions to keep track of damage the experience a bit, however, making Encased a game that only the most die-hard RPG fans will enjoy right from the start.

Pros

• Engaging setting
  • Great atmosphere
  • Highly reactive world
  • Solid exploration mechanics
  • Competent turn-based combat...
Cons

• ... that feels a little too basic
  • Writing could have used a little trimming
  • Clunky interface
  • Underwhelming visuals
More information.

If this has clunky interface then original sin 2 had what lol, only issue is sorting the inventory.

Also the graphics look pretty cool. Not basic and definitely not underwhelming. I am especially enjoying the picture with text scenes with the additional sound effects. It's a bit like Pillars of Eternity in that regard. Just much more frequent.

Also I found the writing to be perfectly fine. You never run into wall of texts which are there just for the text sake. PoE was worse there. And Torment Numenera and Shadowrun Hong Kong were the worse offenders there so far. No issues in Encased though.

The inventory management is indeed crappy.

It's probably because the UI is a bit brownish. It's vintage so I find it fits quite well, but it's not the sexiest (especially the chat box which hides the notifications).

I'm really pleased by the graphics and audio. :)

Inventory management is not my favourite, indeed. I'd rather have a list or something I can search through efficiently than items of different shapes, but some players prefer that. But then again, inventory has always been the curse of RPGs.

I have been playing non-stop, have 48 hours in so far, and am raving about this game. It's the best crpg I have played in a long time. Its one of those kinds of games that draws you in completely, at least for me.

The combat is not "basic", its great and classic traditional turn-based combat. Maybe the guy played solo, the combat gets a lot better when you get another party member.

The best part is fighting battles where you are badly outnumbered and it seems hopeless for your level, because the monsters/enemy npcs are not only outnumbering you, but one or two levels above you, and then (after trying and losing a bunch of times) you find an alternative way to fight the battle that they designed in the environment, for example, and it allows you to win the battle by taking advantage of the environment.

I honestly don't know how anyone could call the combat in this game basic. That's just….mind blowing.

Edit: Oops, I thought this was a WoTR review. I haven't played very far into Encased yet.

The best part is fighting battles where you are badly outnumbered and it seems hopeless for your level, because the monsters/enemy npcs are not only outnumbering you, but one or two levels above you, and then (after trying and losing a bunch of times) you find an alternative way to fight the battle that they designed in the environment, for example, and it allows you to win the battle by taking advantage of the environment.

Looking forward to this. Which Wing did you choose and what type of build?

I did Black Wing, and a gun fanatic combat heavy build. My character also did a secondary specialization in medicine (very useful in this game)

And he isn't a dumb brute, he has level 8 intelligence (called "brains" in this game)

That's important to have good intelligence for skill points every time you level up in this game. Almost all the skill areas are useful, and even necessary in some cases. Science, Criminal, Tech, Influence, my character has skill points invested in all of these skill trees.

i went silver with tech weapons and max charisma, overall its very enjoyable using skills in dialogues

Back
Top Bottom