The First Templar - Gone Gold

Where do they bill it as an action/RPG? Everything I've seen recently only says "action/adventure" - the only reason I've covered it is people keep sending it in.

Yeah, I don't think it's ever been said this is an RPG. The setting is likely throwing the "medieval means RPG" crowd.

On a side note the "Steam exclusive level" makes me NOT want to buy the game, rather than the opposite. I don't want to support that kind of bullshit.

People mention rpg because the character development has rpg roots, but other than that, it is an adventure story game it seems. I'm going to risk it due to the setting and how many big areas they have advertised for exploration. Could be a shallow turd though.

Anybody seen any other enemies other than the ogre and humans. their must be more than that right?

People mention rpg because the character development has rpg roots

Strange remark commonly made. Character developpment is so natural it is hard to make it an exclusive marker to RPG. Chess has character developpment. Early video games had character developpment through upgrades.

It is what remains from RPG, it seems while character developpment imposed itself as a must have for verisimilitude.

On a side note the "Steam exclusive level" makes me NOT want to buy the game, rather than the opposite. I don't want to support that kind of bullshit.

I don't like this kind of promotion, too.

Sadly it becomes more and more common.

Where do they bill it as an action/RPG? Everything I've seen recently only says "action/adventure" - the only reason I've covered it is people keep sending it in.

The German web site says :

"The First Templar" ist ein kooperatives Action-Rollenspiel vor dem Hintergrund der düsteren Welt des Mittelalters und der Kreuzzüge.

"Action-Rollenspiel" = "Action-RPG".

Maybe they use different words for different markets ?

Same site, American flag :

"The First Templar" is a co-operative action adventure game, it portrays a dark and gritty view of the late 13th century.

Same site, Great Britain flag :

"The First Templar" is a co-operative action adventure game, it portrays a dark and gritty view of the late 13th century.

Strange.

Two nearly identical online articles of two newspapers/magazines (one article, sold to two different newspapers/magazines ?) say that the game "borrows from the Lego games", especially the co-op mode, and that goodies can be found in chests etc. . The article also mentions "role-playing games elements".

Strange remark commonly made. Character developpment is so natural it is hard to make it an exclusive marker to RPG. Chess has character developpment. Early video games had character developpment through upgrades.

It is what remains from RPG, it seems while character developpment imposed itself as a must have for verisimilitude.

Chess is a bit of a stretch, as your pieces don't suddenly have dramatically different abilities, just the few predefined roles they were endowed with. Character development is a common staple of rpgs, so while TFT is likely not a traditional rpg, it does have qualities that appeal to rpg gamers. Hence, the reference to rpg and "strange remark commonly made".

I thought it was a historical game, then I saw Ogres and such… a little disappointed.
As it is, I'll wait until I see reviews on this one.

I'm getting "bargain bin" vibes.

Its simple really just tack on the minimum rpg elements and call it an rpg. That is the current trend lately.

They do - but on the German part of their web site ONLY …
Call me nuts, but I don't have the slightest clue as to WHY they do it …

But they're not calling it an RPG…

Doesn't matter you can tell there trying to grab the rpg players. Mostly I was talking of games that claim to be rpgs.

Its simple really just tack on the minimum rpg elements and call it an rpg. That is the current trend lately.

Or the other trend is to remove most of the complex systems traditionally associated with an RPG. Pretty soon we won't be able to tell a 'streamlined RPG' from say an action game with RPG elements. :p

Still, I do enjoy games from other genres with RPG elements sometimes. As long as I know what I am getting into and they don't do it in a sequel to a well done RPG (I'm looking at you Dragon Age 2) I don't mind.

I kinda worry about this same thing happening to Skyrim. Time will tell if a more robust perk system will replace the "tried and true" attribute system in a meaningful way.

They do - but on the German part of their web site ONLY …
Call me nuts, but I don't have the slightest clue as to WHY they do it …

Germany has a massive RPG fanbase last time I checked, so they're probably trying to lure some of them in.

Chess is a bit of a stretch, as your pieces don't suddenly have dramatically different abilities, just the few predefined roles they were endowed with. Character development is a common staple of rpgs, so while TFT is likely not a traditional rpg, it does have qualities that appeal to rpg gamers. Hence, the reference to rpg and "strange remark commonly made".

I thought of promotion (or whatever it is called) when a pawn reachs the opposite side of the board and is turned into another piece of the same colour.

Or the other trend is to remove most of the complex systems traditionally associated with an RPG. Pretty soon we won't be able to tell a 'streamlined RPG' from say an action game with RPG elements. :p

Still, I do enjoy games from other genres with RPG elements sometimes. As long as I know what I am getting into and they don't do it in a sequel to a well done RPG (I'm looking at you Dragon Age 2) I don't mind.

I kinda worry about this same thing happening to Skyrim. Time will tell if a more robust perk system will replace the "tried and true" attribute system in a meaningful way.

Bottom line is it should serve RP. They did not show great success with Oblivion through attributes. Skills being a matter of work, it was not so much an issue they all can reach 100. Attributes define the support and from there should come the differences between characters. Never felt it that way. I rather agree with the statement that attributes trickled down one into the other as often formulas are based on several attributes, making it hard to distinguish between characters with Str 95, agi 80, spd 85 and str 85, spd 80 and agi 95.

Maybe the perks system will force a strong differentiation, forcing to adopt a combat style based on the dominant perks bonuses. Maybe if a character derails from his expected combat style, he will be smashed to pieces. A character relying on spd and agi should not fare well in frontal assault.

Back
Top Bottom