Seven Dragon Saga - Specialties Update

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
It has now been two weeks since the Seven Dragon Saga kickstarter has launched, and the game has barely made $98,329 of the games $450,000 goal.

So as you can see its not looking good.
smiley-frown.gif

Anyway here is the next update from Lead Designer David Shelley.
Welcome to week two of the campaign. We’re taking all your comments seriously, and looking at ways to improve the campaign, based on your feedback. We really appreciate your dedication!

Where Race give shape to the character, innate toughness, mobility, senses, and link to the mystical; and Class defined the character’s core features; Specialty gives it a final direction. Experimenting with the three pieces is quick and fun, and generates interesting synergies. Here is an overview of the Specialties.
More information.

Has it been two weeks? I thought it was just eight days.

The system sounds pretty good to me. Plenty of character building options.

Unfortunately, paragraph breaks seem messed up in that article and the writing isn't great, so it's a bit of a slog.

Unfortunately, paragraph breaks seem messed up in that article and the writing isn't great, so it's a bit of a slog.

You're not kidding. That mess would fail as school homework. They really need to sharpen up next time round.

Hope it gets a late surge but looking bleak. This team has the guys I think will make a good RPG so hope it funds. This being said I think I would prefer something more akin to the gold box games in first person ala legend of grimrock with meatier details and tactical turn based combat.

The key questions they should be asking themselves about this kickstarter are…

1) What is the cool stuff they are trying to convey about this game?

2) How to focus the audience in on that cool stuff?

3) Who is the audience?

That means having a vision for there visual and audio design. A relaunch in a couple of months would show much better results if they spend that time honing the message.

They're asking for quite a bit of money, too. I haven't followed the campaign, and I don't know their ambitions. But if they want to remake something like Pool of Radiance or the Buck Rogers games, it can be done for less money with a small team.

Like other projects, it will probably come back in a month or so after they cancel the kickstarter, with a better video, a somewhat reduced goal, and it will make it.

They're asking for quite a bit of money, too. I haven't followed the campaign, and I don't know their ambitions. But if they want to remake something like Pool of Radiance or the Buck Rogers games, it can be done for less money with a small team.

Double Fine was barely able to produce a 3 hour cakewalk of an adventure game for 3 million...and that consists of just a handful of hotspots per screen...

There was a new visitor here maybe a week back - forget the name - that said something to the effect of "predigested news". I'm not saying this is what he was referring to and I don't recall him clarifying things while being shouted down by "LOL NOOOB TROLL" posts, but this news is pretty damn biased, Couch.

I don't care for this Kickstarter; the only thing it has going for it is the names attached from 30 years ago. That said, even I can see that when you start off News Stories with bias "Nearly two weeks and DOOOM!!" when it's actually 8 days and anything can happen, it doesn't shed a good light on a project.

And you, as that news poster, have had a direct effect on the success (or lack thereof) of the project. As the great Joe Friday would say, "Just the facts, ma'am."

Agreed. We have seen some prominent Kickstarters that have fared a lot worse than this one; at least it is on track to come somewhat close to its goal. Admittedly the odds seem somewhat long at this point, but it's certainly not beyond all hope. Plus the publicity can't hurt for a potential re-try.

Double Fine was barely able to produce a 3 hour cakewalk of an adventure game for 3 million…and that consists of just a handful of hotspots per screen…

And yet Expeditions:Conquistidors was made with 200k and Paper Sorcerer a 20 hour game was made with 25k. Double Fine has no idea on how to budget.

Last edited:
Well I see your still the same old cranky member Dirthus.:kiss:

I'm not going to apologize for adding my personal opinion to one news-bit out of the one hundred I made this week. This kickstarter was just handled wrong from the start.

So you guys want to prove me wrong then go up your pledges, and spread word of the kickstarter. As I would love to be proven wrong, and see the game funded.^^

Last edited:
And yet Expeditions:Conquistidors was made with 200k and Paper Sorcerer a 20 hour games was made with 25k. Double Fine has no idea on how to budget.

Double Fine is also based in San Francisco, one of the more expensive places to have a game development studio.

Back
Top Bottom