Windows 10 Free for Win 7/8/8.1 Owners

Zloth

I smell a... wumpus!?
I think I'll wait at least 6 months before jumping on that wagon.

pibbur who is happy with windows xp, windows 7 and windows 8.1, but who didn't like windows 1 when he tried it

I would like to upgrade my pc for this new windows but since my w7 is oem (thats all they sell here) I cannot transfer that to new pc. So in the end I have to buy windows10 too.

So they are giving it free to all of those who want to use it in their old computers. If you want to upgrade your pc you need to buy windows 10 also. Now if windows 10 needs more resources than windows 7 they could force the users of old computers to first upgrade to new computer and then buy windows 10.

I just dont think ms is to any good. They are evil to the bone. The fact that you cannot move 130€ windows7 into a new computer proves it. The original plans for xbox one were good proof also. They just want to control the customers to extort more money out of them. I hope this windows 10 will be as big failure as everything else they have done lately. Im sticking to w7 for now.

Yup if you're on OEM version you're screwed. :)
If retail versions are not available in stores near you, you can always buy one on Amazon. In such case I suggest buying win8 as it's cheaper than win7.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-W...E7MU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1421927628&sr=8-1

I don't say win8 is anyhow better than win7, it is not. But if your plan is to buy a new PC and eventually move on win10, win8 will be a cheaper solution which you'll use for a few months till win10 is released. And you can install shell add-on which brings back standard UI.

It may still show up as paying too much, the price for win10 nonupgrade version is not shown anywhere. Maybe it'll be cheaper than win8?

I don't say win8 is anyhow better than win7, it is not. But if your plan is to buy a new PC and eventually move on win10, win8 will be a cheaper solution which you'll use for a few months till win10 is released. And you can install shell add-on which brings back standard UI.

It may still show up as paying too much, the price for win10 nonupgrade version is not shown anywhere. Maybe it'll be cheaper than win8?
Windows 8 pro oem costs 160€ so its not cheap. Windows10 oem propably wont cost much more than that so I could just buy it if I want windows10.

Retail versions were available 5-6 years ago but I ugess no one bought them because they cost 2-3 times more (like 300€). Now it seems they are not available in webstores at all here.

On my current pc there is multiboot of xp, vista and w7. Ill loose all of them if I upgrade to windows10 with new pc. Ill loose 450€ worth of old os and have to buy atleast 150€ of new ones so total loss of worth is 600€ just for os. And if win10 is not that great Im stuck with bad os in the end after spending all of my moneys. Then ms comes and offers me windows 11 allthough then I have to buy it too since it requires pc upgrade and windows10 cannot be transfered…

I've installed OEM maybe half a dozen times… never had an issue. And as to this offer not applying to OEM, I'll wait and see; the disclaimer says nothing of OEM.
*It is our intent that most of these devices will qualify, but some hardware/software requirements apply and feature availability may vary by device. Devices must be connected to the internet and have Windows Update enabled. ISP fees may apply. Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8.1 Update required. Some editions are excluded: Windows 7 Enterprise, Windows 8/8.1 Enterprise, and Windows RT/RT 8.1. Active Software Assurance customers in volume licensing have the benefit to upgrade to Windows 10 Enterprise outside of this offer. We will be sharing more information and additional offer terms in coming months."

tldr; wait and see, less doom and gloom about a free upgrade.

Yea, waiting is definetly the best.
Initial rumors a few months back were saying that upgrade win8 will be free but win7 upgrade won't. Obviously Microsoft decided differently.
There are still things decision haven't been made about obviously. If I'm reading all articles correctly, presenters refused to answer on the price of a full version (not the upgrade).

They can't answer if they don't know. Microsoft might well still be doing all the marketing/economic magic to try and figure out how much to charge.

This is good news for me. I don't use Windows as an OS for anything but gaming, but I'll probably need an upgrade from Win 7 just for the DX12 generation of games, which I would hate to pay for.

There are DX12 games? Where?

None as yet, of course, but they will come. There's plenty of hyped technology out there, but DX12 is too significant an improvement to be ignored. It's probably not that interesting to high-end gamers, but bare-metal APIs wring a lot of extra performance out of lower end hardware, which is where the big market is.

Somehow I believe apart from Fable 4 (or should I say 5) we won't see another dx12 exclusive soon. Since I couldn't care less for that new Fable, I see no reason to push win10 till they at least make SP1. :evilgrin:

Hmm. I was NOT impressed by the DX11 improvements. It seemed incremental at best (maybe except for tessellation). Now DX 12 is just for improved efficiency, no huge improvements to realism? Definitely not one to sweat, it seems to me.

Yeah, that's it. And when, eventually, everything is DX12 by default, I'm just glad I won't have to shell out for a Windows upgrade that doesn't otherwise interest me.

Hmm. I was NOT impressed by the DX11 improvements. It seemed incremental at best (maybe except for tessellation). Now DX 12 is just for improved efficiency, no huge improvements to realism? Definitely not one to sweat, it seems to me.
DX9 felt like the last real change. I was disappointed with dx10 and dx11. Thats when I started to loose interest on updating pc hardware especially graphics card. The race to get the best card is over for me. The race started in the late 90s and lasted over 10 years.

My current pc is from 2008 (core i7) and apart from graphics card (GTX680) I havent updated anything. It still runs everything smoothly. Latest I played the new wolfenstein with maxed settings.

I still like building pcs but problem is I wouldnt see much if any change. Maybe bit faster windows starting time. I rather spend my money i.e on the new 3DS XL. I have never owned DS and the games on that platform are mostly totally new to me.

Back
Top Bottom