Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker Question/Tips & Tricks Thread

Pathfinder: Kingmaker
So I'm just curious, how are you guys liking DLC 3 - the endless dungeon? I like the idea of battling hordes of enemies that dip into the bestiary a bit and traverse proc gen levels, but I'm curious as to other's opinions who have played a bit of it. Is it pretty fun exploring and taking on the dungeon?

So I'm just curious, how are you guys liking DLC 3 - the endless dungeon? I like the idea of battling hordes of enemies that dip into the bestiary a bit and traverse proc gen levels, but I'm curious as to other's opinions who have played a bit of it. Is it pretty fun exploring and taking on the dungeon?

Personally, I love the DLC3 as a standalone. But once you hit high level encounters it gets really tedious because all you get is Wild Hunts or Golems prismatic spray spams. Up until then, it's fantastic.

Thanks everyone and thanks for the tip @purpleblob;!

I am down to my final candidates - so far entire week has been testing out class builds to try and match my Skyrim team (Wulver, my "Daedric" Tiefling, and Thrynn, the fighter/bandit from the Thieves Guild … along with a wolf and a fox).

Most likely Wulver will be a Sacred Huntsman as it gives him magic, bow, animal companion, and thief skills. The Eldritch Scoundrel (mage/rogue class) is the closest to his Skyrim but then I don't get the wolf … and Doing Sylvan Sorcerer with some rogue classes would be too similar to my last play through which was a pure Sylvan Sorcerer). However, I am still trying out both even if leaning towards the Huntsman - who is a bit "ranger" like with magic and thief like abilities so not too bad.

Thrynn, who is more of a bandit-fighter then a rogue, I am either doing a Mad Dog with Leopard or Ranger with Leopard. I prefer Ranger a tad more but its a bit similar to Huntsman and I see Thrynn more like the Barbarian/Bandit type. Still testing.

Some shots because why not :p

Thrynn

Wulver (I need to update his picture at some point to better match his outfit)

Current team, only level 2 - just doing Fangberry Cave

Also while checking out some mods found this nice Ranger outfit (image from inventory screen):

49217464103_fdaaebea28_o.png

Personally, I love the DLC3 as a standalone. But once you hit high level encounters it gets really tedious because all you get is Wild Hunts or Golems prismatic spray spams. Up until then, it's fantastic.

Cool, thanks for the impressions. I'd be interested more in playing it during the main game and less as a standalone mode. Do you have enough time to go through the dungeon while still doing the main questing?

Decided to start another playthrough (already have 330 hours or so on this game, finished it twice!) but this time with a LN monk as my main character and on 'challenging'...well, what I really want is the old BG 'core rules' experience i.e. proper monster and ability implementation. Seems 'challenging' also bolsters monsters stats a bit (and may add more?)...I was managing OK, although dying from crits etc quite often, so tweaked that so monsters do 'normal' i.e. correct damage. Now it is much better, although still easy to get taken down. One bug so far - added a bow feat to Ekun, which he has all the requirement for as far as i can see, but it doesn't show up in his action bar :/ So a wasted feat slot.

Is there a way to respec a character, so I can try and reselect it?

PS Ekun is just an engine of destruction - bow experts in Kingmaker are devastating, ran into 'savage undead' in a tomb and they just tore through my party

Cool, thanks for the impressions. I'd be interested more in playing it during the main game and less as a standalone mode. Do you have enough time to go through the dungeon while still doing the main questing?

The DLC#3 opens up as you progress the story in the main campaign. The first 4 levels open up in chapter 2, then another 4 levels open up in chapter 3 etc until you get all 16 levels + final boss. I'd say drop by the dungeon in chapter 5 so you can go through all 16 levels at once (saves you travel time etc overall).

Is there a way to respec a character, so I can try and reselect it?

PS Ekun is just an engine of destruction - bow experts in Kingmaker are devastating, ran into 'savage undead' in a tomb and they just tore through my party

IIRC, the person who let you hire mercenaries now offer 3 respecs for anyone in your party for free.

I plopped a village down right next to the DLC3 dungeon and put a teleport pad in it. Travel isn't a problem now! ;)

Respecs may not be available if you picked a higher difficulty level. Challenging turns them off.

I believe so. You won't get the achievement at the end for doing harder difficulty but that beats not having fun for the rest of the game.

So, here's something I wish I'd known 100 hours ago… the artisans exclusively available to some of the villages you construct will [much] later on construct "masterpieces" for you. If you want this to actually happen, be sure to upgrade their respective village(s) into a town - or else you won't get these masterpieces. The number of towns you can create is limited, so choose wisely. The only exception I've found for this has been Bokken.

There's so many layers to this game that I'm still learning the finer details 90% of the way through…

Last edited:
So, here's something I wish I'd known 100 hours ago… the artisans exclusively available to some of the villages you construct will [much] later on construct "masterpieces" for you. If you want this to actually happen, be sure to upgrade their respective village(s) into a town - or else you won't get these masterpieces. The number of towns you can create is limited, so choose wisely. The only exception I've found for this has been Bokken.

There's so many layers to this game that I'm still learning the finer details 90% of the way through…

You don't need to upgrade the village to a town get the masterpieces. I think at the very least, you need to 1. build a settlement 2. build the workshops for artisans and 3. finish their quest. After that, certain actions increase the chance for artisans to deliver masterpieces.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Pathfinder...iy/some_artisan_info_gained_from_data_mining/

Actions that increase artisan tiers are

ArtisanTailor_Tier

Complete objective Inform Sharel of Morhalan's arrest during A Bloody Craft

Finish quest A Bloody Craft

2 tiers during Coronation Throneroom Event

Build Workshop

Kingdom Project Arcane Rankup 5

Kingdom Project Divine Rankup 3

Kingdom Project Divine Rankup 6

Kingdom Project NorthNarlmarches_Upgrade_ErastilsHolyPlace

Kingdom Project NorthNarlmarches_Upgrade_RoyalHuntingGrounds

ArtisanEnforcer_Tier

Complete objective Get the blood of Varrask's enemy during Earthbreaker

Build Workshop

Kingdom Project Espionage Rank 5

Kingdom Project Military Rank 6

Kingdom Project Military Rank 9

Kingdom Project Kamelands_Upgrade_HorsesBreedingCenter

Kingdom Project Kamelands_Upgrade_OutdoorMuseum

ArtisanAlchemist_Tier

Finish quest An Ancient Formula

Build Workshop

Arcane Rankup 4

Kingdom Project Loyalty Rank up 3

Kingdom Project Loyalty Rank up 6

Kingdom Project Outskirts_Upgrade_EconomyCenter

Kingdom Project Outskirts_Upgrade_MilitaryFort

Kingdom Project Outskirts_Upgrade_RelationsCenter

ArtisanWoodmaster_Tier

Finish quest Affairs of the Heart

Build Workshop

Kingdom Project Culture Rank up 5

Kingdom Project Loyalty Rank up 4

Kingdom Project Loyalty Rank up 8

Kingdom Project NorthNarlmarches_Upgrade_ErastilsHolyPlace

Kingdom Project NorthNarlmarches_Upgrade_RoyalHuntingGrounds

ArtisanExoticSmith_Tier

Complete objective Tell Shaynih'a about the Storyteller's vision during One Thousand and One Questionable Stories

Build Workshop

Kingdom Project Economy Rank up 8

Kingdom Project Relations Rank up 4

Kingdom Project Relations Rank up 8

Kingdom Project SouthNarlmarches_Upgrade_DwarvenKeepRestored

Kingdom Project SouthNarlmarches_Upgrade_ResearchofTheCandlemere

ArtisanShadyDealer_Tier

Complete/Fail? quest A Simple Favor

Build Workshop

Upgrade to Studio

Kingdom Project Arcane Rank up 6

Kingdom Project Relations Rank up 3

Kingdom Project Relations Rank up 6

Kingdom Project ShrikeHills_Upgrade_DiamondInTheRough

Kingdom Project ShrikeHills_Upgrade_Fortress

Kingdom Project ShrikeHills_Upgrade_ItsaMagicalPlace

ArtisanWeaponsmith_Tier

Complete/Fail? quest Nazrielle's Greatest Creation

Build Workshop

Kingdom Project Population Rank Up to 5

Kingdom Project Population Rank Up to 9

Kingdom Project Relations Rankup to 6

Kingdom Project Kamelands_Upgrade_HorsesBreedingCenter

Kingdom Project Kamelands_Upgrade_OutdoorMuseum

ArtisanJewelcrafter_Tier

Finish quest Three Wishes

Build Workshop

Kingdom Project Rank Up Culture to 6

Kingdom Project Rank Up Economy to 5

Kingdom Project Rank Up Economy to 8

Kingdom Project Silverstep_Upgrade_FishFarmVillage

Kingdom Project Silverstep_Upgrade_JewelryCenter

Kingdom Project Silverstep_Upgrade_MysticalPast

ArtisanLeatherworker_Tier

Finish quest The Varnhold Militia

Build Workshop

Kingdom Project Espionage Rank Up to 3

Kingdom Project Espionage Rank Up to 8

Kingdom Project Varnhold_Upgrade_GuardsHQ

Kingdom Project Varnhold_Upgrade_TownofFairs

ArtisanArmorsmith_TierUnlock

Finish quest Lawbringer

Build Workshop

Kingdom Project Military Rank Up 8

Kingdom Project Stability Rank Up 5

Kingdom Project Stability Rank Up 6

Kingdom Project Stability Rank Up 7

Kingdom Project SouthNarlmarches_Upgrade_DwarvenKeepRestored

Kingdom Project SouthNarlmarches_Upgrade_ResearchofTheCandlemere

Must have been a bad coincidence then on my playthrough's part. That is some voodoo data right there, purple... it would indeed explain why masterpieces can be so finicky - it's so difficult to get the requisite tiers up to 8+ when the game's quest timers keep poking you in the face. Especially moreso if it's your/my first time playing the game; I only capped off my last rank 10 by hunkering down in the capital for 6 weeks while everything went to hell outside!

The game begs for repeated playthroughs! So many things that can be done differently.

@Drithius; It certainly does - I plan to do another playthrough next year. I got 4 masterpieces in 1 run, I want to get all 10 next time!

How do you build a teleporter and how do you use it ?

You build it on your settlement just like any other buildings like shop, smith etc. IIRC teleport circles unlock when you upgrade your village into a town. Mage tower (which also allows teleport) may be tied to arcane ranks.

You can teleport between settlements where you built teleport circle/mage tower (which means you need to build minimum of 2 to use teleport) - the option to teleport will appear when you click on village/town/city icon.

I like, love perhaps, all the hidden stuff in the game. I am so tired of games that reveal every secret, hand hold every part of the game, etc. I like that it is layered and complicated.

I haven't played since all the patches and content updates. I created a Tiefling when that was released but got distracted and the game was still too fresh.

Also, now that I know the story and am used to the timers, I am playing in a much more relaxed fashion, worrying less about getting everything done right away or focusing on the main story. I am finding tons of things I either missed before or were added later in patch, content update, or DLC.

My first time through I played on easy mode as I am not big on too much micro-management of potions, scrolls, and buffs so my game tends to be hard even on easy since I tend to just use long-term buffs (1 minute or longer ones). However, I am playing on challenging this round (and still not using many buffs) and enjoying it - even though I have had to frequently leave some place to return later as I get my ass handed to me. Only things I adjusted were quality of life - remove negative effects on full rest and carry weight doesn't effect speed, both settings in the game itself. Both those options I can manage disabled but it just adds extra tedium to the game for me, so no point.

Really enjoying myself and looking forward each night to my little window of play time. I also enjoy the modding - not to cheat as that would ruin the game for me - but to make the game more into my world, even if small touches. Like I made Thrynn permanently "large" size, with its penalties to stealth, dexterity, and AC, but with its perks to strength, damage and reach. Thrynn is a hired mercenary - Mad Dog Barbarian with leopard as the animal.

But my main use is the visual adjustments mod so I can force the default look of the outfits (which is a visual only thing) to what I want. I can also hide the HUD and rotate the camera and zoom in/out more (but fog of war is the same). Plus I got some new textures for some weapons and outfits.

The other thing I like is the complexity of character building. While my main character, Wulver, does not have an ideal build, I was really able to pinpoint what I wanted.

He is also my first dual-class type in ages … like since I played Baldurs Gate games. I tend to like "pure" builds versus splitting them up. Nor do I like power builds. I focus first on RP then survivablility (although I do balance both in as I also want to be able to survive).

WULVER BLACKFUR

Race: Tiefling (general background since in his lore he is a chaos Tiefling)

Stats: STR 10, DEX 18, CON 14, INT 12, WIS 16, CH 12

Alignment: Chaotic Good

Main Skills: Mobility, Trickery, Stealth, Perception, Persuasion (I get min 4 points per level but it alternates due to formula on int bonus and his rogue class)

Combat Focus: Everything is about dual wielding daggers. Any perk, talent, spell, etc., relating to improving combat around having two daggers is what I take. Secondary is the bow.

Magic Focus: Long term buffs, counter spells, healing. If I wanted combat magic I would play a single class wizard or sorcerer (I played a Sylvan Sorcerer the first time to level 17).

Primary Class (max of 16 levels): Sacred Huntsmaster, follows Desna (loosely). Wolf is the "boon" companion.

Secondary Class (4 levels max due to animal companion issue): Rogue Knife Master, extra damage range (1d8) with daggers, improved skill options/points, some nice early rogue bonuses. He won't have a ton of sneak attack but with weapon finesse for damage and attack on his dexterity (which will be 22 by level 16) is nice.

Because of his Sacred Huntsmaster team perk ability he works in tandem with his animal and Thrynn and his animal all side by side. I hope to get some nice synergy going there.

Overall more of an RP build that reflects Wulvers "Skyrim" heritage but also fits his overall lore as a planes walker and chaos Tiefling. Oh and I updated his portraits to fit a bit better:

49223701322_5f232839c7_b.jpg

49222994463_040658feff_b.jpg

As usual I tend to go all-out when I really like a game and dig in extensively to my characters personality, history, lore, and so on. It adds so much depth to the game for me and the character in general. Helps pull me in tighter to the game and seeing my character as really "there" in the world.

EDIT: Wulver and Team. Big guy in front is Thrynn (based on Skyrim Thrynn). Wulver is the one in the back right with the red tail :p His wolf is actually a Worg (RP anyhow, used the visual adjustment mod to use the worg body but still a wolf companion).

EDIT: One other build I want to do, for Varnhold play through since that is a different character, is a Sorcerer whose Tiefling background is Infernal or Abyss (as then you don't get the -2 charisma) BUT for his Sorcerer bloodline take celestial. He will be part infernal and part celestial which will be fun. A tiefling with horns, tail, and wings. With some devil and angel abilities. Should be interesting. Perhaps something that looks like this, which is the character portrait I started to make for him in Skyrim this week:

Last edited:
I think you've got to get an arcane minister before you can make the circles and do teleportation. I'm pretty certain you can make the Mage Towers before then (and they can add quite a bit toward getting an arcane minister).

Wolfgrimdark - but... but... Nok Nok is the dual dagger guy! You can't leave him at home, he's too fun!

I think you've got to get an arcane minister before you can make the circles and do teleportation. I'm pretty certain you can make the Mage Towers before then (and they can add quite a bit toward getting an arcane minister).

Wolfgrimdark - but… but… Nok Nok is the dual dagger guy! You can't leave him at home, he's too fun!

Aye he is a fun character. He will join the party and we will flank our victims together :)

Back
Top Bottom