Baldur's Gate III - 20 August - Page 2 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » Baldur's Gate III - 20 August

Default Baldur's Gate III - 20 August

June 15th, 2020, 13:30
Please don't have exploding barrels and lava all over the place. If they do someone in EA tell them to knock it off.
--
"From knowledge springs Power, just as weakness stems from Ignorance."

Hastar

Unspeakable
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
+1:

June 15th, 2020, 13:48
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
Not surprised as every cloud gaming service has flopped. Still remember the PR campaigns calling it the future. Turns out its not and never will be anytime soon.
It's a bizarrely bad deal. You pay a subscription, then full price for each game, sometimes offering a reduced experience and delayed release. And, if the service ever goes away (as many Google adventures have) you lose access to your games. Wow - where do I sign up?

They should really have done a deal with Steam or similar, to give dual access to the games you buy. That could actually have been quite popular, with the streaming option for those that want it.
--
"I cannot define the real problem, therefore I suspect there's no real problem, but I'm not sure there's no real problem."
Richard Feynman

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)

June 15th, 2020, 18:19
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
And, if the service ever goes away (as many Google adventures have) you lose access to your games.
Yeah, there are several reasons why streaming games doesn't interest me, this service specifically, but this is probably the most salient. We all still remember Google+, among other failures. If I really think about it, I'm even a bit nervous about Steam going away some day and my 200+ game library going poof.

JFarrell71

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)

June 16th, 2020, 01:14
Happy times for people who are willing to try early access. I just feel that this kind of lessens the impact of actually releasing something. However the upside is that early access lessens the risk factor and they can test the audience before doing "the actual launch." So there will be two launches. Or heck, there is going to be also the goty launch at some point which I'm probably going to wait…
Last edited by Dez; June 16th, 2020 at 01:37.

Dez

Man with the hat
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

June 16th, 2020, 05:19
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
I'm hoping that Larian brings the early access to GOG because that is where I would like to keep my baldur's gate collection.
But GOG has Galaxy which lets you play on any store. Thus, no need to keep it on GOG!
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)

June 16th, 2020, 05:37
Originally Posted by Zloth View Post
But GOG has Galaxy which lets you play on any store. Thus, no need to keep it on GOG!
It may seem silly but I want it DRM free. I'll probably get it on Steam anyways because I don't feel like waiting forever.

Silver

Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)

June 16th, 2020, 15:25
Originally Posted by Dez View Post
Happy times for people who are willing to try early access. I just feel that this kind of lessens the impact of actually releasing something.
I agree, but for me things haven't been the same since I would read about a game in a magazine, and then nip down to the computer shop to find the shiny box on the shelves.

But, I've since come to terms with the idea that release day is not that exciting, and it's probably for the best to be on a six month delay.
--
"I cannot define the real problem, therefore I suspect there's no real problem, but I'm not sure there's no real problem."
Richard Feynman

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)

June 16th, 2020, 15:41
Well I know on my end I withdrew all my support when I lost interest in the game due to it being turn based. While a huge BG fan I don't like the departure from the traditional RTWP combat. Also not really sold on how the dialogue is being done or being infected with a mindflayer spawn.

Personal taste though. While I won't support it myself I am glad others have a new game coming out they should enjoy.

I can also understand the desire to not want to be beholden to a publisher if the developer is well enough off to manage doing it themselves.
--
Character is centrality, the impossibility of being displaced or overset. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

wolfgrimdark

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)

June 16th, 2020, 15:43
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
I agree, but for me things haven't been the same since I would read about a game in a magazine, and then nip down to the computer shop to find the shiny box on the shelves.

But, I've since come to terms with the idea that release day is not that exciting, and it's probably for the best to be on a six month delay.
My preferred magazine was PC Gamer used to love waiting for it to arrive in the mailbox before everything became digital on the PC. It used have CD/DVD's of demos also.

Nowadays the official date doesn't matter on most PC games as they use Early Access. Still most of the larger publishers still use the original method of when it's done.
Originally Posted by wolfgrimdark View Post
Well I know on my end I withdrew all my support when I lost interest in the game due to it being turn based. While a huge BG fan I don't like the departure from the traditional RTWP combat. Also not really sold on how the dialogue is being done or being infected with a mindflayer spawn.

Personal taste though. While I won't support it myself I am glad others have a new game coming out they should enjoy.

I can also understand the desire to not want to be beholden to a publisher if the developer is well enough off to manage doing it themselves.
I felt the same when it was reveled my first reaction was like yours. I even rolled my eyes, and thought "oh man it's just another OS clone." Still the setting seems interesting and I'm willing to forgo my preference for RTwP this time. Bottom-line I understand.
--
"Nowadays due to woke ideology, the normal rules of the game, due process, political compromise, the presumption of innocence, free speech, even reason itself have now been suspended"

Couchpotato

Laziest Man Alive

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » Baldur's Gate III - 20 August