The TV Series discussion thread - Page 279 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » The TV Series discussion thread

Default The TV Series discussion thread

March 17th, 2021, 15:50
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
For me, I really like the Snowpiercer movie, and think the TV show is drivel.

I liked the unusual tone of the film - it's dark and gritty, but not exactly realism. Everything is kind of exaggerated and grotesque, a bit like Bioshock, or something like that.
This is where in French I'd say
Les goūts et les couleurs ne se discutent pas.

Roughly translates into colours and tastes are not something to argue about.

Although, we obviously can since this is a forum to discuss tastes and opinions
Last edited by Pladio; March 17th, 2021 at 17:26.

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)

March 17th, 2021, 16:02
Bien sūr.

De gustibus non est disputandum.
--
"I cannot define the real problem, therefore I suspect there's no real problem, but I'm not sure there's no real problem."
Richard Feynman

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
+1:

March 17th, 2021, 16:15
Snowpiercer, the movie, is a masterpiece.
For some reason I have no urge to explain why is that so, you've either caught it or not.

I have absolutely no desire to watch series of the same name as it's based on whatever RL corporate greed to cash in on the movie success, but unlike the movie has basically no connections to the original scifi comic.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)

March 17th, 2021, 17:28
I've not seen the Snowpiercer show as of yet, I did see the film and I enjoyed it. Not awesome or anything but watchable for sure.

I saw this series premiere of Mayans last night, that's off to a corking good start!!! Such a great telly show, it might be competing with Better Call Saul now for the best television fare ongoing.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)

March 17th, 2021, 20:34
I just finished downloading the Snowpiercer film. I feel like I need to watch it so I can add my 2 cents here.

joxer calling it a masterpiece makes me a little nervous though.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)

March 17th, 2021, 22:47
No reason to be nervous, just go openminded into it.
Besides, when was the last time I called movie a masterpiece, and it wasn't?
There were numerous times though I called critics and mainstream darlings an utter bullshit.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

March 18th, 2021, 01:05
No worries, the Snowpiercer movie is good. I haven't watched the show yet as I don't want to taint my memories of the movie.

Besides the standard stuff everybody is watching like WandaVision, I also watched the first season of scream queens :-) Those sorority characters are so over the top (well anything in the show actually) I just have to admire the acting.

ilm

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

March 18th, 2021, 01:25
Yeah, I can understand how it might not be to some people's taste, but I'd be surprised if they can't see the qualities, and that it's the work of a real film-maker.
--
"I cannot define the real problem, therefore I suspect there's no real problem, but I'm not sure there's no real problem."
Richard Feynman

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)

March 18th, 2021, 03:27
Yeah that's one of my fears on the telly show as well. Finding decent shows these days can be quite the challenge.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

March 19th, 2021, 18:40
Nothing exciting at the moment, after watching The Expanse (I'm hesitating to read the books…).

So I grabbed my old Twin Peaks DVDs, an earlier discussion made me want to watch it again

Redglyph

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)

March 19th, 2021, 20:35
I wish I was in your shoes.
There are so many titles I haven't tackled yet, each one more exciting than another - but not enough time for all.

For example I don't expect some masterpiece from Capitani, but for all I know it's the only thriller series ever made in Luxembourg and just that fact makes it exotic enough to make me very interested.
Sadly… Time…
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

March 19th, 2021, 20:46
I just recently re-watched all the Twin Peak shows (I tend to do in during the month of Feb, the yearly anniversary). That's always a great way to enjoy several weeks, as it takes considerable time to get through all three series plus the film! So anyone else doing that gets a huge /thumbs up from me.

I'm on series three of BSG, still enjoying my rewatch of that fine show. I'm also reviewing Downton, close to the finale on series two for that one. These days I often rewatch things I know I'll actually enjoy, rather than taking chances with something that may simply be a waste of time.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

March 19th, 2021, 21:06
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
For example I don't expect some masterpiece from Capitani, but for all I know it's the only thriller series ever made in Luxembourg and just that fact makes it exotic enough to make me very interested.
OMG, it's even in Luxembourgish (first time I see the language name in English too). It's small but such a lovely place!

Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
I'm on series three of BSG, still enjoying my rewatch of that fine show. I'm also reviewing Downton, close to the finale on series two for that one. These days I often rewatch things I know I'll actually enjoy, rather than taking chances with something that may simply be a waste of time.
Sometimes I do that too

Actually I tried to watch BSG again a few days ago but couldn't get into it, even by skipping the first episode Not sure why.

Redglyph

Keeper of the Watch

March 19th, 2021, 22:29
Originally Posted by Redglyph View Post
Actually I tried to watch BSG again a few days ago but couldn't get into it, even by skipping the first episode Not sure why.
As much as I liked it back in the day, I don't think it's aged all that well tbh.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

March 20th, 2021, 03:22
I found the seventies version of BSG a tad campy and tired in a few episodes, but the more recent iteration is simply enthralling. It's certainly not perfect, and they do have the occasional filler episode to be sure, but man, compared to most of the stuff out these days….well, there is no comparison!

Carnifex

SasqWatch

March 20th, 2021, 11:19
Just to avoid confusion, I was talking about the 2004' series, not the old one. I did enjoy it a few years ago, maybe it's a mood issue.

Redglyph

Keeper of the Watch

March 20th, 2021, 12:33
Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
That first series of Westworld is pretty decent. And that's where you need to stop, because after that it turns into a literal train-wreck of a show.
I recently watched S3 and have to agree. S1 was a perfect show for me too, one of the best I have ever seen. S2 steps down a bit by drastically reducing the amount of nudity, but plot twists and Things to Think About remain. S3 was a chore - they tried, I'll give them that but nothing was as effective as in previous seasons, and they need to bring back the nudes!
--
If you have no other choice but to kill, you have failed.
Ntwa kgolo ke ya molomo

Philistine

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

March 20th, 2021, 17:02
That first series of Westworld set a high bar, and the subsequent second and third just didn't maintain. And that's a kind way of saying it. I get what they were trying to do, but it simply failed.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

March 22nd, 2021, 11:56
Been rewatching breakind bad, im in season 4 now and and it doesnt impress me like the first time, seems its not one for rewatch.
--
Favorite Game: Gothic II
My steam profile

porcozaur

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)

March 22nd, 2021, 21:41
To be fair, I think very few shows have the same impact when you watch them again years later. I've thought about watching Breaking Bad again, but I barely have the time to watch what few shows I do now.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » The TV Series discussion thread