Literally the worst time ever to build a new PC - Page 4 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » Literally the worst time ever to build a new PC

Default Literally the worst time ever to build a new PC

May 4th, 2021, 13:30
Originally Posted by Redglyph View Post
Not sure what you mean by "graphics whores", I don't know that term.
It's a derogatory insult to a sub section of gamer's.

Link - https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/graphics_whore
Link - https://www.urbandictionary.com/defi…aphics%20whore

They care more about graphics then game-play.
Typically I update the GPU after 3-4 years, and I'm never buying the latest ones, so the price is reasonable. It won't cope with all options at "FULL" on flight sims like DCS, but for most other games it's fine.
Good luck as every GPU old and new is marked up three times it's MSRP. So yeah not reasonable anymore unless you get a cheap bidding price on E-Bay or Alibaba.
--
"Facts are stubborn things, and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

Couchpotato

Laziest Man Alive

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
+1:

May 4th, 2021, 14:57
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
Good luck as every GPU old and new is marked up three times it's MSRP. So yeah not reasonable anymore unless you get a cheap bidding price on E-Bay or Alibaba.
Right now it's pretty insane
But the point is, except rare game that are very demanding, it's usually fine even when the graphics card isn't the latest high-end type.

Redglyph

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)

May 4th, 2021, 14:59
Right now it's pretty insane
But the point is, except rare game that are very demanding, it's usually fine even when the graphics card isn't the latest high-end type.
So true still using my trusty XFX 8GB RX 590 Fatboy from three years ago. Tried to update to a 5700XT this year, but damn I'm not paying over $1,000 just to upgrade my GPU.
--
"Facts are stubborn things, and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

Couchpotato

Laziest Man Alive

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)

May 4th, 2021, 16:04
It seems the trick this year is to buy pre-built PC. PC builders, be they local store or large companies such as Dell or HP, seem to have access to graphic cards at decent price.

vanedor

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

May 4th, 2021, 17:13
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
I just want this chip shortage to end so I can get my hands on a PS5. Almost 6 months after launch, and they're still impossible to purchase at retail price without camping out.
Here (in Poland) the only way to buy a PS5 from a proper store is to pay for a 'bundle edition' which includes 5 or more PS4 games like FIFA 2019 and has an exorbitant cost.

Elwro

Filthy Codex Spy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

May 4th, 2021, 20:37
Originally Posted by Elwro View Post
Here (in Poland) the only way to buy a PS5 from a proper store is to pay for a 'bundle edition' which includes 5 or more PS4 games like FIFA 2019 and has an exorbitant cost.
Yeah, that's some pretty lame price gouging there. Those PS4 games probably cost them next to nothing to add to the bundle. I'm not sure if they ever had anything like that here. I've still yet to even see a PS5 in person.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)

May 5th, 2021, 02:34
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
By the way, according to the local newspaper, Ford has stopped production in Cologne , because of the lack of chips, at the 90th anniversary of that manufactury.
Ford stated earlier this week that it expects production to be halved this coming fiscal quarter due to the shortage.

Drithius

Laughing Gnome

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)

May 5th, 2021, 02:38
I was a hair's breadth away from buying a 6800xt Red Devil today via Facebook Marketplace. For $1200. Which is practically MSRP. I called it off at the last minute because I can't see any situation where I wouldn't regret buying a card that isn't my first choice for over a grand.

Reality is a bit warped in the GPU space right now.

Drithius

Laughing Gnome

May 5th, 2021, 04:05
Originally Posted by Drithius View Post
I was a hair's breadth away from buying a 6800xt Red Devil today via Facebook Marketplace. For $1200. Which is practically MSRP. I called it off at the last minute because I can't see any situation where I wouldn't regret buying a card that isn't my first choice for over a grand.
Good call. I wouldn't buy something like that off Facebook Marketplace. If you're going to spend that kind of money on a graphics card, there needs to be a return policy backing it up.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

+1:

May 5th, 2021, 04:13
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Good call. I wouldn't buy something like that off Facebook Marketplace. If you're going to spend that kind of money on a graphics card, there needs to be a return policy backing it up.
In a way, that was one of the major reasons I didn't go through with it - the manufacturer's warranty doesn't apply to anyone but the original owner w/ original receipt.

Drithius

Laughing Gnome

May 13th, 2021, 16:21
Some interesting thoughts on the current shortage and a possible bust in the making.

And yet, for now, impossible to find those GPU chips, or FPGA-based cards that are getting out of stock one after the other.

Redglyph

Keeper of the Watch

May 18th, 2021, 21:57
Nvidia's new LHR GPUs will put 'more GeForce cards at better prices into the hands of gamers'

Light Hashrate re-release due by end of month on 3060ti, 3070, 3080 (and potentially 3080ti); hopefully these cards are difficult to crack for the typical miner dorkus.

Drithius

Laughing Gnome

+1:

May 19th, 2021, 15:07
I'm still running a standard 1080, though it's overclocked out of the box a bit. I just don't play anything that requires a stronger card. Then again, I play on 24" 1920/1080 monitors.
--
c-computer, r-role, p-playing, g-game, nut-extreme fan
=crpgnut or just
'nut @crpgnut
aka survivalnut

crpgnut

Survival Game Nut
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)

May 19th, 2021, 23:02
Originally Posted by crpgnut View Post
I'm still running a standard 1080, though it's overclocked out of the box a bit. I just don't play anything that requires a stronger card. Then again, I play on 24" 1920/1080 monitors.
Same. I wanted a 3080 prior to the release of Cyberpunk 2077, but there was no way I was going to overpay for one, and I'm glad I didn't.

I've yet to play a game I can't run on at least the second-highest settings, and there's rarely any significant difference between those and the highest. I can easily see my 1080 lasting me another year if I need it to.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

May 20th, 2021, 00:29
It's completely crazy over here at the moment. I haven't searched thoroughly, but where I've looked you can't even get a mid range GPU for a sane price.
--
"I cannot define the real problem, therefore I suspect there's no real problem, but I'm not sure there's no real problem."
Richard Feynman

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)

May 20th, 2021, 00:33
Yeah, I'm also planning on driving my current 1080ti into the ground. Can run almost anything at ultrawide resolutions at almost everything on max settings. Except for AA settings.

danutz_plusplus

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)

May 20th, 2021, 00:44
I'm struggling along with my RX580, which I got free from an ex-miner. It barely made the grade with Cyberpunk 2077, but does pretty well in almost everything else I play. I envy you guys with your 1080s!
--
Proud leader of the Shit Games Liberation Front
All your shit games are belong to us

FIRST KNIGHT OF THE ORDER OF THE BLOB

Shagnak

SGLF Founder

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

May 20th, 2021, 00:51
Originally Posted by crpgnut View Post
Then again, I play on 24" 1920/1080 monitors.
Well, there's your problem

1440p (and above) in modern titles can really challenge cards from several years back.

Drithius

Laughing Gnome

May 20th, 2021, 15:58
Originally Posted by Drithius View Post
Well, there's your problem

1440p (and above) in modern titles can really challenge cards from several years back.
But he's using 1080p…?

Redglyph

Keeper of the Watch

May 20th, 2021, 18:13
But he's using 1080p…?
He's saying crpgnut needs to run higher resolutions if he wants to challenge that gpu.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

+1:
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » Literally the worst time ever to build a new PC