The Cooking Thread - Page 7 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » The Cooking Thread

Default The Cooking Thread

May 4th, 2021, 00:40
Originally Posted by Corwin View Post
Sadly, I've never seen wild garlic here, unless it has another name on this side of the world. I've done it with spinach and feta though!!
Yeah, it's funny stuff, and I'm not sure it grows over that side. It emerges in woodland in the spring, and can form a carpet for a while.

The leaves and flowers have good flavour - kind of like chives, but more garlic-y than onion-y. Lots of people make a pesto with it. For some reason it seems to appear more in ancient woodlands.
--
"I cannot define the real problem, therefore I suspect there's no real problem, but I'm not sure there's no real problem."
Richard Feynman

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)

May 4th, 2021, 00:42
Those are similar to Scallions or green onions in the States. My father loved them and they par well with tuna sandwiches. Anyway that garlic is also known as Ramsons.
--
"Nowadays due to woke ideology, the normal rules of the game, due process, political compromise, the presumption of innocence, free speech, even reason itself have now been suspended"

Couchpotato

Laziest Man Alive

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
+1:

May 4th, 2021, 00:46
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
Those are similar to Scallions or green onions in the States. My father loved them and they par well with tuna sandwiches. Anyway that garlic is also known as Ramsons.
Yes, that's the stuff. I could definitely see them going in a good tuna mix.
--
"I cannot define the real problem, therefore I suspect there's no real problem, but I'm not sure there's no real problem."
Richard Feynman

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela
Super Moderator

May 4th, 2021, 03:34
Good lord yes, green onions on tuna is perfectly marvelous! I'd prefer them cold, yet heated would work as well. Preferably on a wild sourdough, something that's been aged for at least six months. Bread is important. Watching people eat morbid pasty disgusting bread literally hurts my soul.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)

May 5th, 2021, 12:57
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
Found some wild garlic in the woods today, so that's going in some kievs tonight.
Today's newspaper lists the case of a man who had apparantly mixed wild garlic with https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colchicum_autumnale , made a sauce from that, and died of the plant's poison.
--
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)

May 5th, 2021, 13:03
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
Today's newspaper lists the case of a man who had apparantly mixed wild garlic with https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colchicum_autumnale , made a sauce from that, and died of the plant's poison.
Yes, if you're going to eat plants out of the woods, you need to make sure you can identify things. One of the rules for picking wild garlic is that you always pick one leaf at a time. The leaves of bad things are easy to identify, but if you grab handfuls at once there's a risk of sweeping up something you really don't want in the mix.
--
Richard Feynman

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela
Super Moderator

May 5th, 2021, 14:08
So damn true I remember eating wild cherries/berries on one my camping trips. Good news they weren't poisonous, but they caused a bad case of flatulence all day.
--
"Nowadays due to woke ideology, the normal rules of the game, due process, political compromise, the presumption of innocence, free speech, even reason itself have now been suspended"
Last edited by Couchpotato; May 5th, 2021 at 14:20.

Couchpotato

Laziest Man Alive

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
+1:

May 5th, 2021, 14:22
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
Yes, if you're going to eat plants out of the woods, you need to make sure you can identify things.
Yes. This is also true for mushrooms.

In our family we had a very simple rule : "What we don't recognise, or have difficulties in recognising, we leave alone."

Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
So damn true I remember eating wild cherries/berries on one my camping trips. Good news they weren't poisonous, but they caused a bad case of flatulence all day.
Be happy that it was only that.

During university time (studying geology), we had made an extensive excoursion into the alps. The house belonged to a partner university, but was more a ruin than anything else. The lavatory consisted of a wooden shaft going down into … "something".

Me and a few others, we had a severe … problem … with our digesting systems after having had a bath in a river that was close by (all that was relatively high in the mountains). We had to go to that … lavatory … every 1-2 hours at least, and had to vomit, too. That was going on for I think it was 2-4 days. Meanwhile everyone else was going from geology location to geology location.
--
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

May 5th, 2021, 14:33
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
Yes. This is also true for mushrooms.

In our family we had a very simple rule : "What we don't recognise, or have difficulties in recognising, we leave alone."
Yes, definitely. Wild mushrooms are amazing, but you can come to a sticky end if you haven't studied your field guide.

My approach was to learn about all the major nasties first, and try to find and identify them.
--
Richard Feynman

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela
Super Moderator

May 5th, 2021, 14:56
Yes, to know which are the bad ones is essential.
--

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

May 5th, 2021, 15:10
The best I've had were in Italy, where foraging for wild mushrooms is very popular in the countryside. Now I'm hungry.

Seared wild mushrooms.
--
Richard Feynman

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela
Super Moderator

May 5th, 2021, 17:42
When we lived on a dairy farm, in upstate Pennsylvania in my youth, I often made myself ill during summer-time by eating far too many berries/strawberries that grew out in the pasture. These days I know, of course, they flourished because of all the cattle/horse fertilizer, but man, back in those days I didn't care. It was soooo good, right off the stem/vine!!

Last night I grilled up some sausage with garlic, hot peppers and cilantro, threw down on a baked potato, and finished it off with some cole slaw. I ate it out on my porch and got some complements from people walking by on how good it smelled!

Carnifex

SasqWatch

May 6th, 2021, 17:32
It was soooo warm yesterday I simply had cold vegetable soup for supper. The heat index here yesterday hit forty degrees.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

May 6th, 2021, 17:51
Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
The heat index here yesterday hit forty degrees.
Ouch. ( I assume it was Celsius. )
--

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

May 6th, 2021, 21:27
Ahh yes indeed, celsius. I may be exiled in the great country of hillbillies, yet I don't cotton to that fahrenheit nonsense.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » The Cooking Thread