Things you don't need to know...

I know next to nothing about zz top, except they have large beards. What song is it, and what's it saying about sunglasses?

This one?

an incarnation of pibbur who doesn't have sunglasses, but wonders why the wife repeatedly suggests he gets a pair. Then again, there are a lots of things he wonders about regarding women in general and the wife in particular.

PS. There are a lot of videos where they weat sunglasses, but the above mentioned has the following in the lyrics: "Black shades, white gloves. Lookin' sharp and lookin' for love" DS.

Could have been that one, of course.

BTW: One funny thing about ZZ Top. The drummer, Frank Beard is the one in the band that didn't have a beard. Seems like he has one now (at least in 2014: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Beard_(musician)#/media/File:Frank_Beard_2014.jpg), but it's not nearly as long as that of the other two.

An incarnation of pibbur whose beard approaches ZZ Top lstandard, but who wears it nicely bound in rubber bands (or sometimes tied up in a braid).

I saw them live I think it was in 2019 … Or was it 2018 ?
It was great to see them play live at least once in my live - although I completely totally didn't fit into the folks there ! :lol:
Almost everyone was wearing leather jackets andwhatnot, and I truly didn't fit in there … ;)

But I had a great time nonetheless - well, until that drunk american coming to me and telling me that the Aztecs were able to build towers like the one I was looking to (over the other side of the river) hundresds or thousands of years ago … He spoiled the last song, which was "Jailhouse Rock" … :rolleyes:

But I had a great time nonetheless - well, until that drunk american coming to me and telling me that the Aztecs were able to build towers like the one I was looking to (over the other side of the river) hundresds or thousands of years ago … He spoiled the last song, which was "Jailhouse Rock" … :rolleyes:

Interesting that an American told you that. I had quite the contrary experience: When I was on a business trip in Boston, my hosts proudly told me that Boston had the very first stone buildings in the area of the USA. I then said that to my knowledge some pueblos were much older stone buildings and they fell silent and looked somehow awkward as if I had said something naughty.

Interesting that an American told you that. I had quite the contrary experience: When I was on a business trip in Boston, my hosts proudly told me that Boston had the very first stone buildings in the area of the USA. I then said that to my knowledge some pueblos were much older stone buildings and they fell silent and looked somehow awkward as if I had said something naughty.

It's just like any other country. There are those that know and those that pretend to know.

Well, he was drunk.
I really don't know why he felt like talking to me during that song, holing a glass of beer in his hand.

Well, he was drunk.

I really don't know why he felt like talking to me during that song, holing a glass of beer in his hand.
Lol, he was probably really drunk.

Have you ever been that drunk that you've wasted way too much time talking to a stranger? And then realizing you have absolutely no idea who that person is, or why you are even talking to them?

Lol, he was probably really drunk.

Have you ever been that drunk that you've wasted way too much time talking to a stranger? And then realizing you have absolutely no idea who that person is, or why you are even talking to them?
LOL but the experience is much worse for the non-drunk side. So I feel with Alrik here...

I've never been really that drunk.
And since I'm not used to allohol, I got drunk a few years ago from drinking a bottle of beer too fast.
That's the only time I remember feeling drunk ... apart from that 1 litre of a "Radlmaß" in Bavaria (beer + lemonade) as a teenager. The "Maß Bier" are actually gigantic, they can hold - the big ones - easily 1 litre.
Explanation here : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maß

So, I live in the city with the USA (World's?) largest man-constructed monument. It is called the Gateway Arch and is in St. Louis, MO, USA. It is 630' tall and 630' wide at the base.

This week (5/7-5/15/21) my wife and I went to see the Mount Rushmore monument to 4 of the presidents. It was extremely impressive and we had a lot of fun. We visited several of the tourist locations nearby. The driving was very long though. My wife hates to fly so we drove the whole distance (995 miles/1600km). With the various side trips and such we traveled a little under 2500 miles this week. Since I live in metro east area of St. Louis, this was the states traveled (Illinois, Missouri, Iowa, Nebraska and South Dakota. South Dakota has a interstate speed limit of 80 miles an hour. To be honest, it's very pretty but I ended up setting my cruise control on 100 miles an hour just to get through the drive :)

https://www.popularmechanics.com/te...t-constructed-monuments-in-the-united-states/

Links to a site with pictures of both monuments.

You know my crude humour, but i just can't resist saying that The Archway looks on the linked photo like a hyperbole to me. ;)
Now, I believe that every U.S. American will hatee me for saying that ;)
but it's just the way a hyperbole looks like : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperbola
;)

You know my crude humour, but i just can't resist saying that The Archway looks on the linked photo like a hyperbole to me. ;)
but it's just the way a hyperbole looks like : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperbola
;)

I think it might be the only shape that could work standing so tall. You're right the Arch isn't amazing to look at, it's amazing in the skill it took to build, all pre-computers.

;)
Why do you believe that the hyperbola shape is something negative?

Edit: The mathematical curve is called hyperbola, not hyperbole. Or was that the intended pun?

I visited Mount Rushmore in the late nineties, during a trip to Yellowstone and a fossil area nearby. What an impressive sight, a monument that everyone in the US should make a pilgrimage to, at some point.

Edit: The mathematical curve is called hyperbola, not hyperbole. Or was that the intended pun?

Yes, partly. ;)
The other pun was, that the Archway indeed looks like that ... ;) From that angle, at least. ;)

Don' t order a tuna sandwich at Subway because it's not tuna.
The New York Times sent frozen samples of tuna meat ordered from three different Los Angeles-area Subway shops to a lab that specializes in fish testing, in order to determine how much tuna is in the tuna sandwiches. The world’s largest subway chain is caught in the middle of a class-action suit in California that claims the popular tuna subs are “completely bereft of tuna as an ingredient.” So the Times decided to analyze the sandwich’s main ingredient itself.

The Subway tuna samples were run through a $500 PCR test — aka a polymerase chain reaction test, which detects genetic material from a specific organism by making millions or billions of copies from a DNA sample. The lab was looking for traces of one of five tuna species, including the skipjack and yellowfin tuna that Subway’s tuna and seafood sourcing statement says are used in its sandwiches.

“No amplifiable tuna DNA was present in the sample.” — Lab report quoted in the New York Times

The results: “No amplifiable tuna DNA was present in the sample and so we obtained no amplification products from the DNA,” the report read. “Therefore, we cannot identify the species.”

Back
Top Bottom