Things you don't need to know… - Page 117 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » Things you don't need to know…

Default Things you don't need to know…

May 14th, 2021, 10:07
Originally Posted by SveNitoR View Post
I know next to nothing about zz top, except they have large beards. What song is it, and what's it saying about sunglasses?
This one?
loading…

an incarnation of pibbur who doesn't have sunglasses, but wonders why the wife repeatedly suggests he gets a pair. Then again, there are a lots of things he wonders about regarding women in general and the wife in particular.

PS. There are a lot of videos where they weat sunglasses, but the above mentioned has the following in the lyrics: "Black shades, white gloves. Lookin' sharp and lookin' for love" DS.
--
Over the mountain watching the watcher

a pibbur

Feeling … lonely?

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
+1:

May 14th, 2021, 10:14
I know next to nothing about zz top, except they have large beards. What song is it, and what's it saying about sunglasses?
It's about sunglasses https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheap_Sunglasses
--
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)

May 14th, 2021, 15:34
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
It's about sunglasses https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheap_Sunglasses
Could have been that one, of course.

BTW: One funny thing about ZZ Top. The drummer, Frank Beard is the one in the band that didn't have a beard. Seems like he has one now (at least in 2014: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_…Beard_2014.jpg), but it's not nearly as long as that of the other two.

An incarnation of pibbur whose beard approaches ZZ Top lstandard, but who wears it nicely bound in rubber bands (or sometimes tied up in a braid).
--
Over the mountain watching the watcher

a pibbur

Feeling … lonely?

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)

May 14th, 2021, 16:10
I saw them live I think it was in 2019 … Or was it 2018 ?
It was great to see them play live at least once in my live - although I completely totally didn't fit into the folks there !
Almost everyone was wearing leather jackets andwhatnot, and I truly didn't fit in there …

But I had a great time nonetheless - well, until that drunk american coming to me and telling me that the Aztecs were able to build towers like the one I was looking to (over the other side of the river) hundresds or thousands of years ago … He spoiled the last song, which was "Jailhouse Rock" …
--
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

May 14th, 2021, 16:24
But I had a great time nonetheless - well, until that drunk american coming to me and telling me that the Aztecs were able to build towers like the one I was looking to (over the other side of the river) hundresds or thousands of years ago … He spoiled the last song, which was "Jailhouse Rock" …
Interesting that an American told you that. I had quite the contrary experience: When I was on a business trip in Boston, my hosts proudly told me that Boston had the very first stone buildings in the area of the USA. I then said that to my knowledge some pueblos were much older stone buildings and they fell silent and looked somehow awkward as if I had said something naughty.

bkrueger

Nothing to see here.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

May 14th, 2021, 20:35
Originally Posted by bkrueger View Post
Interesting that an American told you that. I had quite the contrary experience: When I was on a business trip in Boston, my hosts proudly told me that Boston had the very first stone buildings in the area of the USA. I then said that to my knowledge some pueblos were much older stone buildings and they fell silent and looked somehow awkward as if I had said something naughty.
It's just like any other country. There are those that know and those that pretend to know.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 101 Post(s)

May 14th, 2021, 21:30
Well, he was drunk.
I really don't know why he felt like talking to me during that song, holing a glass of beer in his hand.
--

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

May 14th, 2021, 22:33
Well, he was drunk.

I really don't know why he felt like talking to me during that song, holing a glass of beer in his hand.
Lol, he was probably really drunk.

Have you ever been that drunk that you've wasted way too much time talking to a stranger? And then realizing you have absolutely no idea who that person is, or why you are even talking to them?

SveNitoR

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

May 14th, 2021, 22:41
Lol, he was probably really drunk.

Have you ever been that drunk that you've wasted way too much time talking to a stranger? And then realizing you have absolutely no idea who that person is, or why you are even talking to them?
LOL but the experience is much worse for the non-drunk side. So I feel with Alrik here…

bkrueger

Nothing to see here.

+1:

May 15th, 2021, 11:26
I've never been really that drunk.
And since I'm not used to allohol, I got drunk a few years ago from drinking a bottle of beer too fast.
That's the only time I remember feeling drunk … apart from that 1 litre of a "Radlmaß" in Bavaria (beer + lemonade) as a teenager. The "Maß Bier" are actually gigantic, they can hold - the big ones - easily 1 litre.
Explanation here : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maß
--

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

May 15th, 2021, 17:23
So, I live in the city with the USA (World's?) largest man-constructed monument. It is called the Gateway Arch and is in St. Louis, MO, USA. It is 630' tall and 630' wide at the base.

This week (5/7-5/15/21) my wife and I went to see the Mount Rushmore monument to 4 of the presidents. It was extremely impressive and we had a lot of fun. We visited several of the tourist locations nearby. The driving was very long though. My wife hates to fly so we drove the whole distance (995 miles/1600km). With the various side trips and such we traveled a little under 2500 miles this week. Since I live in metro east area of St. Louis, this was the states traveled (Illinois, Missouri, Iowa, Nebraska and South Dakota. South Dakota has a interstate speed limit of 80 miles an hour. To be honest, it's very pretty but I ended up setting my cruise control on 100 miles an hour just to get through the drive

https://www.popularmechanics.com/tec…united-states/

Links to a site with pictures of both monuments.
--
c-computer, r-role, p-playing, g-game, nut-extreme fan
=crpgnut or just
'nut @crpgnut
aka survivalnut

crpgnut

Survival Game Nut
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)

May 15th, 2021, 17:54
You know my crude humour, but i just can't resist saying that The Archway looks on the linked photo like a hyperbole to me.
Now, I believe that every U.S. American will hatee me for saying that
but it's just the way a hyperbole looks like : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperbola
--

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

May 15th, 2021, 19:03
You know my crude humour, but i just can't resist saying that The Archway looks on the linked photo like a hyperbole to me.
but it's just the way a hyperbole looks like : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperbola
I think it might be the only shape that could work standing so tall. You're right the Arch isn't amazing to look at, it's amazing in the skill it took to build, all pre-computers.
--
c-computer, r-role, p-playing, g-game, nut-extreme fan
=crpgnut or just
'nut @crpgnut
aka survivalnut

crpgnut

Survival Game Nut
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)

May 15th, 2021, 19:06
Why do you believe that the hyperbola shape is something negative?

Edit: The mathematical curve is called hyperbola, not hyperbole. Or was that the intended pun?

bkrueger

Nothing to see here.

May 15th, 2021, 21:37
I visited Mount Rushmore in the late nineties, during a trip to Yellowstone and a fossil area nearby. What an impressive sight, a monument that everyone in the US should make a pilgrimage to, at some point.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)

May 16th, 2021, 10:06
Edit: The mathematical curve is called hyperbola, not hyperbole. Or was that the intended pun?
Yes, partly.
The other pun was, that the Archway indeed looks like that … From that angle, at least.
--

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

June 12th, 2021, 16:19
An engineer accidentally took off in a jet in 1966. How can such a blunder ever occur? I just love this story

And what an alien aircraft design, really. It must have been quite a change from the Tiger Moth for Taffy Holden.

These days it would be unthinkable, it's become such an over-regulated and restricted domain. Like most transportation means in fact.

Redglyph

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » Things you don't need to know…