What games are you playing now? - Page 692 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What games are you playing now?

Default What games are you playing now?

May 16th, 2021, 03:15
Originally Posted by danutz_plusplus View Post
Since I'm pretty much done with Sekiro, I decided to give Dark Souls 1 a try. I've had multiple attempts with it across the years, and always gave up at a various beginning points.

Now that I'm coming from Bloodborne and Sekiro, holy shit is it slow and clunky compared. The movement is like the I'm wading through a swamp. If I get knocked down, it takes forever to get back up. The fight against the Asylum Demon was just terrible. Even though I managed to finish it, it was so slow and wonky. And I did make sure to take off enough armor so that I have decent rolls. But the general movement, getting hit and getting back up, dodging. Holy shit, I hope I'll be able to adapt.

Does the movement and general maneuverability get any better later on? Or is this as good as it gets? I remember seeing streams of later gameplay, but I remember it being more or less the same. They really made some huge improvements with Bloodborne and Sekiro.
25%, 50%,75%,100%. Each percentage you lower equipment rate will make you roll faster and longer. Increase endurance to get more stamina which will allow more sprinting and dodging. Weapon speed is determined by the weapon. Increase poise to not get staggered as much.

There’s no way to increase speed otherwise. It was made much earlier to the games you mentioned as such it is clunkier and slower and won’t approach the speed and smoothness of bloodbourne or sekiro.

I’d say keep playing and see if you can adjust. If you like these kinds of games it’s definitely worth a play.

Edit— forgot to mention iframes will also increase with lower equipment rate and a certain ring will increase them further.

Imo.

Watcher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

May 16th, 2021, 04:38
Then you're not gonna like this.
Anytime you say that you're done with a game, I set an internal timer counting down to the inevitable "never mind, I played 6 more hours" post.

Re: Dark Souls and its pace, I don't think From made improvements in Sekiro or Bloodborne, it's just a different formula, equally as finely tuned. It's absolutely just as rewarding, but it does take some time to adapt.

JFarrell71

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)

May 16th, 2021, 10:17
Originally Posted by Imo. View Post
25%, 50%,75%,100%. Each percentage you lower equipment rate will make you roll faster and longer. Increase endurance to get more stamina which will allow more sprinting and dodging. Weapon speed is determined by the weapon. Increase poise to not get staggered as much.

There’s no way to increase speed otherwise. It was made much earlier to the games you mentioned as such it is clunkier and slower and won’t approach the speed and smoothness of bloodbourne or sekiro.

I’d say keep playing and see if you can adjust. If you like these kinds of games it’s definitely worth a play.

Edit— forgot to mention iframes will also increase with lower equipment rate and a certain ring will increase them further.
Originally Posted by JFarrell71 View Post
Re: Dark Souls and its pace, I don't think From made improvements in Sekiro or Bloodborne, it's just a different formula, equally as finely tuned. It's absolutely just as rewarding, but it does take some time to adapt.
Yeah, so I indeed need to adjust my expectations. I rememeber I didn't have this reaction when I initially tried DS1. The speed, in Sekiro especially, really made that stand out. But indeed intend to try and stick with it. What I like about DS1 is the world design and inter-connectedness. It's probably even better than Bloodborne in that sense. We'll see how much I last. What I'm especially afraid of is boss fights where it takes me forever, and I just slowly chip at its health. And then one small mistake and I'm done, since I'm moving so slowly. I remember, in one of my previous playthroughs, stopping at the fight with Artorias.

Originally Posted by JFarrell71 View Post
Anytime you say that you're done with a game, I set an internal timer counting down to the inevitable "never mind, I played 6 more hours" post.
I think I'm done for good now. I've 100% the game in terms of achievements, and the only thing remaining are the gauntlets of strength. And those are so beyond my capability in terms of difficulty, that I don't even think I should try them. But I did get a small itch to start a fresh playthrough of Sekiro, from zero. But it's way too fresh in my memory right now. And I'm also afraid that, due to its difficulty, I'd probably just do the same thing I've done previously, since it's too difficult to try and experiment with different tools and options.

danutz_plusplus

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)

May 16th, 2021, 18:37
Played a bit of Dark Souls 1. Just got past the Taurus Demon, by exploiting running back and forth between where it jumps down from and the tower I climb and then jump on him. I cannot defeat him in open combat. No idea who could. But it's just awful in that tight space.

And after that I went under the bridge where the dragon spews flame, and was stopped by the most annoying of creatures. 3 fucking rats that either kill me outright, or I just fucking die from the poison I contract. God I hate that. I rage quit after that. Also, just before the rats, an annoying spear wielding soldier that won't come out from behind the wall. And if I go after him I just fall off the under-bridge. Or I get caught in his flurry of thurst spams.

danutz_plusplus

SasqWatch

May 16th, 2021, 20:43
I think you need a break from that genre. Maybe play a shooter or something.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 101 Post(s)

May 16th, 2021, 20:49
Yeah, I'm done with Dark Souls. I tried it, it was all decent until l reached the two gargoyles on the Undead Parish. And it was like I was moving through mud (I was pretty much naked, except for the boar helmet which I thought looked cool). So, I was under the 25% weight capacity and still moved and rolled so slowly. I barely got out of their swings most of the time. Then, when they started breathing fire, I couldn't get out of their way. So annoying.

So, I don't think I have the patience to put up with the clunky and slow controls. At least not now. We'll see. But I have a feeling that the more time passes, the more I'll feel less motivated to go through it.

Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
I think you need a break from that genre. Maybe play a shooter or something.
Yeah, I think I may be burned out on them. Time to take a break.

danutz_plusplus

SasqWatch

May 16th, 2021, 22:45
I'm playing something called Inmate Survival; I think I was hoping for Intimate Survival instead, lol. I'm also playing AreaZ; at least the girl is cute. I'm also playing Invisible Strain. I'm just bouncing between them trying to pick one.
--
c-computer, r-role, p-playing, g-game, nut-extreme fan
=crpgnut or just
'nut @crpgnut
aka survivalnut

crpgnut

Survival Game Nut
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)

May 17th, 2021, 00:50
Mass Effect 1 as part of legendary edition. It is probably over 8 years since I’ve played it and I am enjoying it very much. Some nice touches with new version, lift rides, less dark spots in textures etc.

Hurls

Non-twitch gamer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

May 17th, 2021, 01:16
Yeah, I'm done with Dark Souls. I tried it, it was all decent until l reached the two gargoyles on the Undead Parish. And it was like I was moving through mud (I was pretty much naked, except for the boar helmet which I thought looked cool). So, I was under the 25% weight capacity and still moved and rolled so slowly. I barely got out of their swings most of the time. Then, when they started breathing fire, I couldn't get out of their way. So annoying.
I think if I am not mixed up with Dark Souls II, you can summon an NPC to help you with the two gargoyles (you need to be in human form, not hollow to see the summon sign just before going into the smoke screen).

With Dark Souls you can grind to up your health, dex, strength .. etc according to your build. Some rings/shields give you additional health and stamina recovery so use them if you can find them. Weapons normally give you attribute boosts (letters next to attribute for each weapon), so make most of these for your build.

Alternatively, go elsewhere and discover and then return later.

Just a hint: if you encountered a dragon on some tower and you were underneath it, try to shoot the dragons tail and you will get a nice surprise.

SpoonFULL

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)

May 17th, 2021, 08:42
Originally Posted by SpoonFULL View Post
I think if I am not mixed up with Dark Souls II, you can summon an NPC to help you with the two gargoyles (you need to be in human form, not hollow to see the summon sign just before going into the smoke screen).
Yeah, I summoned Solaire, but was defeated even with him. I tried rolling out of the way of his halberd swipe, thinking I'm invincible while rolling, but somehow still got damaged. And then I fell to the floor, and it takes forever for my character to get off the ground. Which was just in time for the gargoyle's fiery breath. Seems in Dark Souls you've better be sure of any movement and attack you make, because you're committed to that once you start. It's a different style, and don't think I have the patience for it right now. Even the cool world/level design can't keep me to it.

Originally Posted by SpoonFULL View Post
Just a hint: if you encountered a dragon on some tower and you were underneath it, try to shoot the dragons tail and you will get a nice surprise.
Yeah, I know about that, but that dragon sword seemed like too much of an overpowered weapon.

danutz_plusplus

SasqWatch

May 17th, 2021, 18:39
The name "Dark Souls" was always like … an exercise in manlihood. Of course a game will never have the title of "Light Souls", because that would so totally be unmanly !
--
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)

May 18th, 2021, 00:21
RDR2. The prettiest game I ever played.
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
The name "Dark Souls" was always like … an exercise in manlihood. Of course a game will never have the title of "Light Souls", because that would so totally be unmanly !
I was curious and googled it. Light souls exists! As a parody on dark souls.

ilm

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

May 18th, 2021, 19:11
I vaguely remember a parody on Myst with the name of "Pyst". I don't think I have seen many parody games, ever. Monty Python's games being an exception, but they are totally a class of their own, too.
--
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)

May 19th, 2021, 15:40
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
I vaguely remember a parody on Myst with the name of "Pyst". I don't think I have seen many parody games, ever. Monty Python's games being an exception, but they are totally a class of their own, too.
Discworld is a parody adventure game based on a book that parodies fantasy conventions, though in both cases still delivers both a good fantasy story and good adventure game respectively.

lackblogger

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
+1:

May 19th, 2021, 15:46
Originally Posted by lackblogger View Post
Discworld is a parody adventure game based on a book that parodies fantasy conventions, though in both cases still delivers both a good fantasy story and good adventure game respectively.
In fact there are one or two sequels to the discworld adventure, all quite good (e.g. Discworld Noire)!

bkrueger

Nothing to see here.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

May 19th, 2021, 16:00
Yes, I've tried them both at the time and more recently, but I find them too hard for me. I'm happy to admit I am not hardcore enough for old school adventure games

lackblogger

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)

May 19th, 2021, 16:20
Currently replaying Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines … apparently been a few years since I completely replayed (or maybe I played in between on Steam and now back on GoG? Who knows?!?)

Was also playing Animal Crossing on Switch, and would put in 15-30 minutes per day, but then it started to feel more like a chore and I was reminded why I have never been ‘addicted’ to those games! Jumped to The Outer Worlds for a bit, going to play Baldur’s Gate: Dark Alliance when it releases tomorrow.

I really wanted to replay Divine Divinity - and even got an old 2003 WinXP laptop up and running (discussed on another thread) … but it doesn’t have WiFi (and using a USB WiFi adapter doesn’t work) so I had to download the ‘offline installers’ from GoG. Most games work just fine (Arcanum, SoF2, JKII, Medal of Honor, etc.) but for some reason DivDiv crashes on startup. Annoying (tried uninstall-reinstall, SP3 update, driver updates,etc.)
--
-- Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)

May 19th, 2021, 17:09
I continue playing to Kingdom Come Deliverance. The game has pretty much hooked me. It’s unforgiving… I’m really thankful for whoever made the unrestricted save mod, otherwise chance are good that I would have given up. I think it’s the most accurate depiction of life in medieval Europe that I have ever seen. It’s adult, it’s dark, and really well done.

A monastery feels like one. Horses are very important and even “shopping” for them is fun. The world is breathing, NPC actually feel like they have a life, they sleep/eat/work. The game is very focused on one specific region of the Czech Republic/kingdom of bohemia and that region is very well depicted.

Yesterdays, I spend a couple of hours just trying to infiltrate a camp. So tough and a bit unfair at time… but in the end, it can be so satisfying :-)

It’s pretty much a realistic Skyrim for adults.

vanedor

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

May 19th, 2021, 19:22
Originally Posted by vanedor View Post
Yesterdays, I spend a couple of hours just trying to infiltrate a camp. So tough and a bit unfair at time… but in the end, it can be so satisfying :-)
Are you playing on the default difficulty or the Hardcore setting?

I keep forgetting about Kingdom Come. I tried it for a few hours and liked what I saw, but I've never gotten back to it for some reason. It's another one of those games that's been stuck in my backlog for ages.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 101 Post(s)

May 19th, 2021, 21:15
Same with me. I've had Kingdom Come for several months, haven't tried it out as of yet. That scary log of games is all too real.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What games are you playing now?