Inferno - Beyond the 7th Circle - Released - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Inferno - Beyond the 7th Circle - Released

Default Inferno - Beyond the 7th Circle - Released

April 30th, 2021, 18:00
The dungeon crawler Inferno - Beyond The 7th Circle has been released:

Inferno - Beyond The 7th Circle

The world is dominated by demons: few humans survived and now they are just a minority on the planet. You are one of the survivors, struggling to find food and resources while demons and abominations rule over the Earth.

Inferno - Beyond The 7th Circle is an old-school Dungeon Crawler with survival elements. It's made for hardcore gamers and fans of 80s and 90s cRPG.

loading…


It's the spiritual successor of The 7th Circle. Unlike its predecessor, Inferno - Beyond The 7th Circle has a more "classic" approach to the Dungeon Crawler genre: you can now save and load the game when you want and if you die you can just reload your last saved game. Also, there are plenty of new contents: more items, more skills, more spells, more tasks, quests and lot of resources to find.

Key features of the game

  • Grid-based First Person Dungeon Crawler. If you've enjoyed classic CRPG from the 90s, you will like this game.
  • Turn based combat. Take your time, plan your strategy.
  • Create your character: choose attributes, skills, traits, personality and background.
  • Learn more than 70 "Magic Formulas" to cast spells and use resources to empower your magics.
    Deep character customization system
  • Survive: search for food, clean water and other resources to craft items, weapons, armors and useful items.
  • A huge map to explore.
  • Improve your skills as you use them. E.G: the more you use an axe, the more you will improve your "Bladed Weapon" skill.
  • Puzzle to solve, hidden areas to find, tasks to fulfill and a lot of demons to kill.
Thanks Henriquejr!

More information.
HiddenX is offline

HiddenX

HiddenX's Avatar
The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Team
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#1

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NRW/Germany
Posts: 13,929
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)

Default 

April 30th, 2021, 19:35
Nice forest graphics and they animated the monsters!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OMUEFvHgq0
--
SSI Gold Box-style game, we are working on.
mercy is offline

mercy

mercy's Avatar
SasqWatch

#2

Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,874
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)

Default 

April 30th, 2021, 20:59
Well, this sounds like old school goodness to me. I'll be curious to see what folks here think of it.
Carnifex is offline

Carnifex

SasqWatch

#3

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ormond Beach, FL.
Posts: 12,452
Mentioned: 46 Post(s)

Default 

April 30th, 2021, 22:08
There's been a lot of these Grimrock clones the last few years. This one looks decent enough.

Anyone here play The 7th Circle? I wonder why they chose to go the spiritual successor route rather than a sequel.
JDR13 is offline

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#4

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 29,940
Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

May 1st, 2021, 00:51
There is a demo on Steam to try:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1…he_7th_Circle/
SpoonFULL is offline

SpoonFULL

SpoonFULL's Avatar
SasqWatch

#5

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 2,437
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

May 1st, 2021, 01:46
I picked this up on a whim since I've been in a grid-based blobber phase recently and this looks like it checks nearly every box for me.
--
My mother said that dreams aren't real. But nightmares are.
FurtiveNyctophile is offline

FurtiveNyctophile

FurtiveNyctophile's Avatar
Watchdog

#6

Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Southwest US
Posts: 203
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Default 

May 1st, 2021, 19:53
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
There's been a lot of these Grimrock clones the last few years. This one looks decent enough.

Anyone here play The 7th Circle? I wonder why they chose to go the spiritual successor route rather than a sequel.
I played the original about 9 hours a year ago (I did not finish). If you don't mind me quoting myself, here are the comments I had about the game then.

I just fired up the 7th circle, and after playing 3 hours, think its a decent, but not great dungeon crawler. You have 1 character, and skills work like in Daggerfall or The Quest. You initially choose a few skills to be good at. Skills you use improve. At level up you can put points into your attributes. The game has permadeth, but as you go through the dungeon you gain cards and blood, which can be used to buy starting bonuses for your next character and improve their level ups. Also it has a nice crafting and alchemy system. The dungeon itself reminds me more of the first Grimrock, but with less puzzles. Still there are traps and secret areas, and all the equipment you get and spells you learn have to be found in the dungeon, or crafted from things you find.

I have now played over 8 hours and have had no further character deaths and am mostly through dungeon level 3, but am not sure how long I will continue to play.
The good thing about the game is that all of its core systems work well. I like the character building system. I like combat. There is a kind of puzzle called a black hole, which has a well built board game like mini game. The crafting system works well. There are multiple secrets including secret switches, teleporters, illusionary walls, and spirits which appear at certain places at certain times of days. Also the monsters are fairly distinct from one another.
The bad is not much is introduced gameplay wise after level 1. There are no new puzzles. There is only one kind of trap which summons 3 monsters (normally you fight one at a time, or rarely 2)(so its more combat and not so much a trap) and a challenge, which is (yet another) optional combat which increases rare loot chance.
And that is the problem. Though I'm not a fan of its combat system, Legend of Grimrock constantly throws you in new situations. New traps, New puzzles. Also the items were hand planted, so each time you ran into an item it was useful if you had the right build. The same goes with Vaporum, which is closer to the 7th Circle, because you are controlling only one character. So I'll give the 7th circle another play session to convince me to keep playing, but if its simply a lot more of the same, it will probably be my last session.
forgottenlor is offline

forgottenlor

forgottenlor's Avatar
Font of Useless Knowledge
RPGWatch Team

#7

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 2,436
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)

Default 

May 1st, 2021, 20:16
@forgottenlor Thanks for the impressions.

Also, I have to take back what I said about Grimrock clones. I made that comment just based on the screenshots, but these aren't Grimrock clones. I played the demo for Inferno last night. It feels more like an old-school dungeon crawler.
JDR13 is offline

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#8

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 29,940
Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

May 2nd, 2021, 01:25
Initial thoughts:

First of all, I'm not sure about any previous games by this developer, but this is *not* a roguelike with permadeath etc. It's an old-school turn-based grid dungeon crawler more like Wizardry or Might & Magic. It has a normal save game system and saving often is something I would encourage as this game is somewhat brutal. (What would an old-school dungeon crawler BE without arbitrary difficulty and RNG madness?)

It's fun so far. I'm not very deep into the game but here's what I have found out, along with having read the manual:

1) The spellcasting system is interesting - like the old Bard's Tale games, you input a four-letter "code" to cast a spell. Anyone can try to cast a spell, any spell, but you have a chance of failing if your casting level for that spell "school" isn't high enough. For example, cure poison is a level 2 "White Magic" spell, anyone can try to cast it but you might fail if you don't have level 2 in White Magic.

2) The skill system is interesting, you seem to basically go up in skill level by using skills, kind of like Elder Scrolls games. You can't train in, say, "Bladed Weapons" except at the very start of the game up to a few points or by actually using them in the game.

3) There is a combo/"special hit" system in the game that's not really described in the manual and I haven't figured it out quite yet but it seems to be based on the skill level of the weapon you are trying to use. I got my target icon to start going red with "brawler" (fists) up to level 4 when I used my fists and when I got enough circles filled I could execute a "special move" that unleashed a furry of fists upon my foes. I haven't seen this with up to level 3 in Polearms yet, though, so perhaps it's based on the skill level of the weapon type you're trying to use. Lots of little systems and things hinted at in the manual but not fully explained, like this one.

Also some weirdness when talking about initiative being "speed" but it also somehow impacting your dodge chance when you use heavy weapons, and a weight limit imposed but nowhere can I find anything written about what happens when you go over your encumbrance level. So… yeah.

Overall the game is quirky, strange, challenging, fun, and a welcome change from JRPG style blobbers - this one is very "Gritty Western Fantasy" in style and feel. It's maddeningly obscure in some systems which seems be be a part of its old school charm depending on who you are asking. A cool take on dungeon crawlers and I can't see why anyone who doesn't enjoy the genre wouldn't enjoy this game.
--
My mother said that dreams aren't real. But nightmares are.
FurtiveNyctophile is offline

FurtiveNyctophile

FurtiveNyctophile's Avatar
Watchdog

#9

Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Southwest US
Posts: 203
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Default 

May 2nd, 2021, 21:39
Originally Posted by FurtiveNyctophile View Post
Initial thoughts:

First of all, I'm not sure about any previous games by this developer, but this is *not* a roguelike with permadeath etc. It's an old-school turn-based grid dungeon crawler more like Wizardry or Might & Magic. It has a normal save game system and saving often is something I would encourage as this game is somewhat brutal. (What would an old-school dungeon crawler BE without arbitrary difficulty and RNG madness?)

It's fun so far. I'm not very deep into the game but here's what I have found out, along with having read the manual:

1) The spellcasting system is interesting - like the old Bard's Tale games, you input a four-letter "code" to cast a spell. Anyone can try to cast a spell, any spell, but you have a chance of failing if your casting level for that spell "school" isn't high enough. For example, cure poison is a level 2 "White Magic" spell, anyone can try to cast it but you might fail if you don't have level 2 in White Magic.

2) The skill system is interesting, you seem to basically go up in skill level by using skills, kind of like Elder Scrolls games. You can't train in, say, "Bladed Weapons" except at the very start of the game up to a few points or by actually using them in the game.

3) There is a combo/"special hit" system in the game that's not really described in the manual and I haven't figured it out quite yet but it seems to be based on the skill level of the weapon you are trying to use. I got my target icon to start going red with "brawler" (fists) up to level 4 when I used my fists and when I got enough circles filled I could execute a "special move" that unleashed a furry of fists upon my foes. I haven't seen this with up to level 3 in Polearms yet, though, so perhaps it's based on the skill level of the weapon type you're trying to use. Lots of little systems and things hinted at in the manual but not fully explained, like this one.

Also some weirdness when talking about initiative being "speed" but it also somehow impacting your dodge chance when you use heavy weapons, and a weight limit imposed but nowhere can I find anything written about what happens when you go over your encumbrance level. So‚€¶ yeah.

Overall the game is quirky, strange, challenging, fun, and a welcome change from JRPG style blobbers - this one is very "Gritty Western Fantasy" in style and feel. It's maddeningly obscure in some systems which seems be be a part of its old school charm depending on who you are asking. A cool take on dungeon crawlers and I can't see why anyone who doesn't enjoy the genre wouldn't enjoy this game.
Well I liked the core systems of the predecessor, so would be willing to give this one a shot if the dungeon design shows more depth and content. I'd be curious after say play 3-4 floors whether you think the dungeon design is repetitive, or if it throws enough new stuff at you to stay fresh. I'm also happy they've implemented a classical save game system.
forgottenlor is offline

forgottenlor

forgottenlor's Avatar
Font of Useless Knowledge
RPGWatch Team

#10

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 2,436
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)

Default 

May 3rd, 2021, 07:41
I will do so. Thus far it's been more of a very large overland area and one level of "tunnels" beneath that but I haven't played the game for more than a half dozen hours or so. I will say that if anything might start to feel repetitive, it might be a quest system that you encounter early on that provides "bounties" to kill a certain number of monsters on X map. (Like go kill X amount of Orcs at location Y and then return to Z for your reward.) These seem kind of generic and roguelike in a way where I usually prefer hand-crafted grid-dungeon experiences over procedurally generated stuff. The quest system in Skyrim that would just spit out random quests killed a lot of potential immersion and fun for me.
--
My mother said that dreams aren't real. But nightmares are.
FurtiveNyctophile is offline

FurtiveNyctophile

FurtiveNyctophile's Avatar
Watchdog

#11

Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Southwest US
Posts: 203
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Default 

May 3rd, 2021, 23:35
I have played for a while and must say that I am a bit dissapointed so far all the quests have just been go to the next area kill x number of demons free x number of prisoners kill the special demon I would have liked some more story and interesting quests

Edit:
After you have finished the second group of tasks you will get a proper quest
Last edited by mprod; May 4th, 2021 at 14:14.
mprod is offline

mprod

mprod's Avatar
Sentinel

#12

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Sweden
Posts: 298
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Default 

May 5th, 2021, 07:56
Originally Posted by mprod View Post
I have played for a while and must say that I am a bit dissapointed so far all the quests have just been go to the next area kill x number of demons free x number of prisoners kill the special demon I would have liked some more story and interesting quests

Edit:
After you have finished the second group of tasks you will get a proper quest
This is good to know, thanks. I was actually a little worried about the "tasks" system myself. I saw that quickly becoming boring without any actual things to do.
--
My mother said that dreams aren't real. But nightmares are.
FurtiveNyctophile is offline

FurtiveNyctophile

FurtiveNyctophile's Avatar
Watchdog

#13

Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Southwest US
Posts: 203
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Inferno - Beyond the 7th Circle - Released
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 19:32.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by DragonByte Security (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright by RPGWatch