Dark Souls - Combat?

Is this the remastered version or the original? I don't remember M&K being very good in the original so i gave up.

The M&K is great. You can also map dedicated keys for things like kick and drop attack which are combos or context sensitive commands on the controller. My son has a horrible time kicking reliably on the xBox. For multiplayer this might be considered a cheat dunno. Not a game changer by any stretch but definitely a nice to have.

Sen’s Funhouse is done. The final boss there was looking real beatable right up until the point he lunged at me and plummeted to his death. I’ll take it.

You know I really enjoy the "lets play" format these days. I love to watch them particularly for this game for areas I've already done. Sen's Fortress is a no brainer for watching people die and get frustrated very entertaining. My favorite line yet was at the beginning of his walkthrough of the funhouse where he says "make sure before you start this area that you are in a good mood" :lol:

Sen's Fortress is a MASSIVE buzz kill. Losing motivation :(
ToddMcF2002, I just wanted to say that I have read the journal of your DS experience with great pleasure :)

I also wanted to share this fine article: https://kotaku.com/what-dark-souls-is-really-all-about-5874599 It's e.g. on how "Sen’s Fortress changes from an out-of-the-way building, to the next step in your quest, to a nigh-insurmountable challenge, to an old friend"

Last time I went there, I got through with no deaths. You'll get there for sure :) It's like learning a difficult set of dance moves only to perform them easily later on!

Yup beyond Sen’s Funhouse now. Currently getting sat on my Smough and gored by Ornstein. I think I’m going to have to do my first summoning!

EDIT: that was a good article thanks for the link. Now that I’ve finished Sen’s Torture Castle I do see the brilliance of the thing. Anor Londo is equally brilliant in its lonely austere design. Creepy place. The game is undeniably brilliant if you can cope with the difficulty.

Last edited:
Aye, good on you Todd for persevering and properly getting into the game. I hope you read the various threads I linked you to earlier as well, as they're full of similar tales from playing Dark Souls. I like reading these kinds of descriptions of adventures and remembering my own experiences. We need more of this kind of material here. :)

I can remember taking many falls in Sen's Fortress as well, barely surviving, chugging estus upon landing and then being smashed or zapped to bits in the mud by those ruddy serpent mages.

The first time you headbutt up against the classic boss experience of DS1: S&O may inspire you to engage in another world tour for greater experience and resistances.
I remember I had to do that with my first character to find some better lightning resistance.

Yup beyond Sen’s Funhouse now. Currently getting sat on my Smough and gored by Ornstein. I think I’m going to have to do my first summoning!

EDIT: that was a good article thanks for the link. Now that I’ve finished Sen’s Torture Castle I do see the brilliance of the thing. Anor Londo is equally brilliant in its lonely austere design. Creepy place. The game is undeniably brilliant if you can cope with the difficulty.
I remember in Anor Londo I was thinking 'ok, arrows, hehe, easy, you can see them from a long distance, I will just keep avoiding them and look for the real challenge in this area' and will never forget when it dawned on me what the actual challenge was (i.e. the archers, not the guardians / gargoyles).

And in Sen's Fortress I have some nice memories when I first fell to the bottom, thought that I would surely die, was pleasantly disappointed, only to discover what was in there :)

Fat man and lightning boy down. I tried it solo a few times and cried uncle. Enlisted a live player along with Solaire. The most one sided battle ever. I don’t feel bad the game has its fun with me up until now :)

Also running with a +10 Claymore now. Love that weapon. For 2H I switch to my +5 Black Knight Sword. The damage that thing puts down on large opponents is crazy. Combos peak at 800+.

Nice, i finished the game with the claymore in my first playthrough; since you're in anor londo, you met the blacksmith, so put lightning on it asap.

These weapons might get you there to the end. Although I would consider exploring some ascensions, e.g. fire or divine; then again, if you haven't tried them until know they probably won't do you much good.

Leave chaos / occult weapons for one of your carefully planned next playthroughs :)

I created a lightning Longsword from a +10 I had. I’m getting more raw damage out of the normal weapons because of scaling at least with the mobs I’ve tested on. I also have a few +10 spares and a Man Snake Greatsword +5 fire weapon I’ll test with when I can upgrade it again

Nice, I usually cannot find the Man Snake Greatsword for the life of me

I have the serpent ring for boosting drop rates. Can’t recall where I got it but it sure helps yield things like shards and rare drops. I have 5-6 of them. It helps that I died ~30 times in Sen’s hell hole - fought hundreds of snakes!

4 Kings down, Sif Down, Stray Demon down, Painted World done. Trying to solo the crystal boss in the Archive with um... mixed results. Going to try a few more times before summoning. There has to be some trick to it I'm not seeing. Also the framerate drops horribly when it spams crystals.

4 Kings down, Sif Down, Stray Demon down, Painted World done. Trying to solo the crystal boss in the Archive with um… mixed results. Going to try a few more times before summoning. There has to be some trick to it I'm not seeing.
Sorry if this is trivial, but do you have curse resistance?

No idea. The only curse experience I have is the temporary one to kill ghosts. Am I exposed? I do have a ring for curse resistance but I’m not currently wearing it.

Back
Top Bottom