Baldur's Gate: EE - Video Review

"I am not going to be comparing the editions of Baldur's Gate as I have not played the original."

Ok! Glad he got that out of the way in the first minute and saved me further watching. Am I wrong in thinking that the vast majority of people considering the EE would want to know the differences over vanilla?

On the other hand maybe some people want to hear an opinion without any nostalgia.

One aspect where the EE falls short in my opinion is the character sprites. I hated the way sprites were mirrored in BGII, causing them to magically switch which hand they are holding their weapons based on the direction they were facing. I don't know why but it really irks me. Since the EE uses those sprites we lose the (IMO) superior sprites of the original.

I don't know why but it really irks me. Since the EE uses those sprites we lose the (IMO) superior sprites of the original.
I'm currently playing BG2 (not EE) and it annoys me too. Not game breaking or anything, but still...

One aspect where the EE falls short in my opinion is the character sprites. I hated the way sprites were mirrored in BGII, causing them to magically switch which hand they are holding their weapons based on the direction they were facing. I don't know why but it really irks me. Since the EE uses those sprites we lose the (IMO) superior sprites of the original.

Using BGII sprites in BGEE was a necessity because the animation set for the original sprites doesn't have dual-wielding.

Oddly enough, I somehow never noticed the mirroring and was completely unaware until I read about it. :)

It's more noticable with shield users.

Ha you don't need nostalgia to see this just is a reskinned Divinity Original Sin. Probably why Larian was chosen in the first place. As those two games sold millions and have the fanbase.

Ok! Glad he got that out of the way in the first minute and saved me further watching. Am I wrong in thinking that the vast majority of people considering the EE would want to know the differences over vanilla?

On the other hand maybe some people want to hear an opinion without any nostalgia.

I think both are valid - and also a good reason for him to declare it upfront. By the time the EE had come around I'd replayed each game multiple times so I really didn't care much about so many of the details, just the ability to play it on newer systems ... and the Mac again.

But it is an intriguing thing reading - or playing - something for the first time many years after initial release. HidenX found my review of Hexplore from 2009, more than a decade after initial release ... I knew the 1998 RPG landscape so I could put it in context, but was still experiencing it for the first time.

Yep and now I look like a fool. :blush:

All good - made me laugh :)

Sad thing is I never played the enhanced versions either. I bow my head in shame.

Anyway I have many games from 2018-2019 to finish.

Back
Top Bottom