Baldur's Gate III - 20 August

Please don't have exploding barrels and lava all over the place. If they do someone in EA tell them to knock it off. ;)

Not surprised as every cloud gaming service has flopped. Still remember the PR campaigns calling it the future. Turns out its not and never will be anytime soon.

It's a bizarrely bad deal. You pay a subscription, then full price for each game, sometimes offering a reduced experience and delayed release. And, if the service ever goes away (as many Google adventures have) you lose access to your games. Wow - where do I sign up?

They should really have done a deal with Steam or similar, to give dual access to the games you buy. That could actually have been quite popular, with the streaming option for those that want it.

And, if the service ever goes away (as many Google adventures have) you lose access to your games.

Yeah, there are several reasons why streaming games doesn't interest me, this service specifically, but this is probably the most salient. We all still remember Google+, among other failures. If I really think about it, I'm even a bit nervous about Steam going away some day and my 200+ game library going poof.

Happy times for people who are willing to try early access. I just feel that this kind of lessens the impact of actually releasing something. However the upside is that early access lessens the risk factor and they can test the audience before doing "the actual launch." So there will be two launches. Or heck, there is going to be also the goty launch at some point which I'm probably going to wait… :biggrin:

Last edited:
I'm hoping that Larian brings the early access to GOG because that is where I would like to keep my baldur's gate collection.
But GOG has Galaxy which lets you play on any store. Thus, no need to keep it on GOG!

Happy times for people who are willing to try early access. I just feel that this kind of lessens the impact of actually releasing something.

I agree, but for me things haven't been the same since I would read about a game in a magazine, and then nip down to the computer shop to find the shiny box on the shelves.

But, I've since come to terms with the idea that release day is not that exciting, and it's probably for the best to be on a six month delay.

Well I know on my end I withdrew all my support when I lost interest in the game due to it being turn based. While a huge BG fan I don't like the departure from the traditional RTWP combat. Also not really sold on how the dialogue is being done or being infected with a mindflayer spawn.

Personal taste though. While I won't support it myself I am glad others have a new game coming out they should enjoy.

I can also understand the desire to not want to be beholden to a publisher if the developer is well enough off to manage doing it themselves.

I agree, but for me things haven't been the same since I would read about a game in a magazine, and then nip down to the computer shop to find the shiny box on the shelves.

But, I've since come to terms with the idea that release day is not that exciting, and it's probably for the best to be on a six month delay.
My preferred magazine was PC Gamer used to love waiting for it to arrive in the mailbox before everything became digital on the PC. It used have CD/DVD's of demos also.

Nowadays the official date doesn't matter on most PC games as they use Early Access. Still most of the larger publishers still use the original method of when it's done.
Well I know on my end I withdrew all my support when I lost interest in the game due to it being turn based. While a huge BG fan I don't like the departure from the traditional RTWP combat. Also not really sold on how the dialogue is being done or being infected with a mindflayer spawn.

Personal taste though. While I won't support it myself I am glad others have a new game coming out they should enjoy.

I can also understand the desire to not want to be beholden to a publisher if the developer is well enough off to manage doing it themselves.
I felt the same when it was reveled my first reaction was like yours. I even rolled my eyes, and thought "oh man it's just another OS clone." Still the setting seems interesting and I'm willing to forgo my preference for RTwP this time. Bottom-line I understand.

Back
Top Bottom