Witcher 2 The Witcher 2 only support 16:9 resolutions

The Witcher 2

Von Paulus

Sentinel
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
"Note: The release version of the game will have an advanced graphical settings menu. It will also
support the 16:9 aspect ratio and be playable in 16:10 (non-native) as well as 4:3 (letterbox)"
http://www.thewitcher.com/images/newsletter/TW2_FAQ_April2011.pdf

People with 16:10 monitors and specially those with 4:3 or 5:4 (my case) will be affected.
I'll have to cancel my pre order, this a deal breaker for me. I won't play like this.

ouchz.jpg

If they patch I'll consider then or not. Maybe I'll end up buying on sale. But surely it's not a day 1 purchase.
I feel sad.

Last edited:
I find it hard to believe that TW2 would have such limitations. I'm thinking that quote may have been taken out of context during translation.

I find it hard to believe that TW2 would have such limitations. I'm thinking that quote may have been taken out of context during translation.
It's in the official faq. They changed it today.
That link that I've posted above it's linking to the faq.
So it's official.

Well unless I'm misunderstanding, the only real issue is going to be for people who want to play in 4:3 without it being letterboxed. In my experience, most 16:10 monitors can scale to 16:9 just fine.

Well unless I'm misunderstanding, the only real issue is going to be for people who want to play in 4:3 without it being letterboxed. In my experience, most 16:10 monitors can scale to 16:9 just fine.
My case.
In case of 16:10 it will be stretched or black bars, I think.
This is not a movie, or is it………..

Last edited:
On 16:10 it´ll most likely look like this:

witcher2-2011-04-13-18-05-12-55.jpg

I´m sure some people won´t mind it, but personally I find this kind of thing pretty damn distracting.
At any rate, not having proper support for all common resolutions at release date is fail, that´s for sure.

16:10 here. NOT COOL. This is very short sighted of them. I have to say, I'm a little shocked by this. I hope they fix this egregious oversight.

I still have a (very good quality) 4:3 (1600x1200) panel… :-/ I'd be really p'd off if they force me to letterbox this game - I have not had to do that with any game in ages. And from my understanding of graphics/renderer setup its a (near) trivial extension to simply test hardware caps and configure your renderer to support any standard aspect ratio - you simply change the camera FOV in a sensible way. Sure, in some cases you see more/less, but I'd rather have that than letter-boxing. Its clearly not that hard since practically every other games does it. C'mon CDprojeckt don't piss people off over a few lines of code!

Here another example that if old RPG aren't possible anymore it's also because players are too much whiners. Now every detail need a high polish or it generate many negative reactions. Make a sum of all the details and you give a boost to costs.

I don't mean I'm out of this whining, I also feel it quite boring even if I won't see much the distortion from 16:9 to 16:10.

Wow. After spending so much time fixing the first game to pay attention to fan requests, I'm shocked they did something this asinine.

Clearly someone in marketing thought it was a great idea. Whenever a really, really dumb decision was made in the development of a game, blame the marketing people.

(this comes from a guy whose wife is the head of a marketing team and owns a 16x9 display.)

If CDprojeckt was looking for people to talk about their game they couldn't have found a better way.

Lots of unhappy people...

I guess I'll have to play it on my second monitor, instead of my primary. That's gonna feel weird. I guess I could just swap them around...

Might be a good idea to go to the site and voice these complaints/concerns. I took a fast peek and no one had complained about this as yet.

Might be a good idea to go to the site and voice these complaints/concerns. I took a fast peek and no one had complained about this as yet.

I did a quick google and I have picked up quite a bit of chatter about this…including a supposed comment by a dev which suggests that they will 'not forget' other resolutions, Hopefully that means it will be patched in quickly.

http://tw2.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=32201.120

(some - justified - ranting/raging here: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/916373-pc/58781938 )

Lets see how this pans out - how long until the game goes gold I wonder? It must be very, very soon.

Great. Now they will have to examine and possibly fix every cutscene, loading screen, menu screen, and the GUI for every new resolution, or not.... There's a good use of resources....

Great. Now they will have to examine and possibly fix every cutscene, loading screen, menu screen, and the GUI for every new resolution, or not…. There's a good use of resources….

If they designed their game sensibly - as they should have - then it should not be a massive undertaking. The cut-scenes need not change - they can be forced into whatever aspect makes sense - usually they are letter-boxed anyway. As for the rest - come on. Most other games can manage this - they are *designed* that way - why not TW2? As I said earlier, I have not been forced to play a game in non-native resolution for a few years now. If they can't figure out how to load a few more fonts and/or generate a few standard (16:9/4:3/5:4/16:10?), correctly aspected GUI layouts and switch between them, then they should go back to school. This was a poor decision, and I really hope they fix it.

Some big IFs in there. Who knows how they designed it. If it was designed to easily scale to any size viewport, then why aren't all the other resolutions/aspect ratios already there?

Some big IFs in there. Who knows how they designed it. If it was designed to easily scale to any size viewport, then why aren't all the other resolutions/aspect ratios already there?

Perhaps. All I know is that their first title had no problems handling this - you don't find it strange that the 'improved' successor can't do the same? I don't know anything about the internal processes the 'new' CDprojeckt. Maybe some corporate bean counter decided that the bit of extra effort/cost/artwork was not necessary since it only affected the ( 'small') PC user base (after all, 16:9 is the usual console aspect ratio, as pointed out by several people). I still stand by my observation: every other game I have played over the last 2 years can handle these resolutions, and CDprojekt are not a bunch of rank amateurs.

Back
Top Bottom