Pricewatch!

From the description amazon was providing direct download rather than a key.

Oh, my mistake. I followed that link to Amazon and it seems to be a scam. This is from user reviews:
This is NOT an official release of the game. It's a pirated copy than Amazon inexplicably allowed to be uploaded and sold at 90% off the actual price. Avoid like the plague.

Anyway, you can get it for "free" with Twitch Prime. You can get it even with free month of Twitch Prime.
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018...mediately-with-a-fortnight-of-game-giveaways/

We've been through this before it is more than a simple hassle. You might be in denial but please don't pretend the issue is singular.

They've given me nearly $600 worth of free games in the past several months, but apparently it's not worth the hassle of using another client for most watchers.

I'm inclined to pirate those games since I technically own them. It's much easier than using that abomination of a client and I see no moral obstacles.

Again, I want my games in my C:\Games folder. Not possible with Twitch. It technically is possible, but I have to move them manually and it's not guaranteed to work if some registry entry depends on the original location. That can also be fixed manually, but at that point I'd rather pirate it. Well, I own the game, it's not piracy, it's getting the game files elsewhere.

Again, I want my games in my C:\Games folder. Not possible with Twitch.
I want my games in D:. It's SSD used only for games and absolutely nothing else. C: is another SSD with windows and nongames on it - there is no games folder on it. E: and F: are two partitions on backup HDD…
In any case. Any kind of social network, Twitch included, is not allowed on my machine. On any disk or parition.

To remain ontpic I should add now some places to buy cheap SSD, but can't. The problem with pointing at hardware deals in this thread is the extreme price difference depending on a country you're in.

They've given me nearly $600 worth of free games in the past several months, but apparently it's not worth the hassle of using another client for most watchers.

Correct. I already have a couple hundred games I'll never play in my Steam backlog. I don't need another couple hundred more.

Why don't you explain then? I don't see how it's any worse than steam or origin.

For me, it's simply a matter of functionality, and I find that great old games and steam (when I have to) fulfill my needs. Any game that doesn't make itself available on either of those systems I simply ignore. And my loathing for both Ubisoft and Origin is well documented on this site, including the reasons, so I won't repeat all that noise. =p

Oh, my mistake. I followed that link to Amazon and it seems to be a scam. This is from user reviews:

Do you believe everything you read on the internet? :)

I just finished installing it, and I can assure you it's not a scam. I guarantee you what happened is that that person thought they were getting a Steam key and then got upset when they realized, after purchasing it, that it wasn't the Steam version.

From the description amazon was providing direct download rather than a key.

It's possible that each copy has an imbedded serial number.

Do you believe everything you read on the internet? :)

I just finished installing it, and I can assure you it's not a scam. I guarantee you what happened is that that person thought they were getting a Steam key and then got upset when they realized, after purchasing it, that it was a direct download.

I didn't say it was a scam, I said it seems like it is. That could explain why it was no longer available. I also noticed something interesting with the Twitch giveaway. The few games I downloaded through Twitch client look like they were ripped from GOG and Steam. I don't know what kind of deal Twitch has with Steam and GOG but I find it interesting. I mentioned before that if a game requires Steam or GOG Galaxy for some features like multiplayer or cloud saves, those features are not available through Twitch, at least for the games I tried.

I didn't say it was a scam, I said it seems like it is. That could explain why it was no longer available.

I'm pretty sure Amazon doesn't just let anyone upload stuff to their online store.

Anyways, I've already confirmed that it's not a "scam", so I'm not sure why you would still entertain the possibility that that's why it's no longer available.

The game is also being given away for free through Twitch, a subsidiary of Amazon. I don't know what kind of deal the developer has with Amazon but it seems odd to me.

The game is also being given away for free through Twitch, a subsidiary of Amazon. I don't know what kind of deal the developer has with Amazon but it seems odd to me.

Well, like I mentioned in my original post, I believe it was a pricing mistake. I don't think it was intended to be on sale with that much of a discount.

Amazon bought twitch for a billion dollars a while back. If you have amazon prime and link it with twitch/ prime you could have got up to 21 free games this month, POE and tyranny among them.

Amazon wants as many twitch and prime subscribers as possible giving away free games accomplishes that ( or helps).

No scams or shadiness here, just a giant company trying to get members for its web cloud services. Giving away these games is to amazon as me giving a penny to someone. It’s nothing to them.

It's not the motive that confuses me, it's the execution. I guess they are trying to push their Twitch client, but couldn't have they done the actual distribution of games differently?

Perhaps they are trying to appeal to folks who do not already use platforms such as good old games or steam. It seems unlikely to me that people would want four to five different programs to launch games from, but then again that is simply my perspective, and could be incorrect.

Back
Top Bottom