Graywalkers - Gameplay First Look

I just wanted to say thank you. Your comment about it being large just reminded me that the Umdhlebi (the treant like creature) was Large sized. I just inputted this to be reflected in its stats thus making him an easier target now a little. Still tough but definitely much easier to hit.

I agree it does look better then the prototype demo from a few years back. Guess the huge delay was worth it in the end. Just hope this gets completed one day.
Yes, it was worth it. The main reasons we were delayed was we decided to build our own turn-based rpg engine and lack of funds. Whatever the case we managed to get here. We do hope to finish it too. We are very much committed though. I mean, we had more than enough reasons to quit before but this time, we're too close to quit now.

I think you are discounting supernatural and magical abilities. As an example, in many vampire novels they can dodge/avoid bullets but not melee attacks. This may or may not be the case here as I am not sure what powers that treant-like creature might have. The other option is that the game is still under development and there are some bugs or not finalised design elements.
I'm actually glad somebody finally pointed this out. The game is meant to reflect this. There are more nuances than just the usual shoot or hit your enemy. Also, the reason for the difficulty to hit is simple game balance. The game is an RPG so its stats versus stats modified by the environment and other factors. It's not simply he's 5 feet away and i point a gun in his face and expect to hit. The skill of the user comes into the play in comparison to the skill of the target. We're constantly tweaking this to make it easier too hit but not too easy. In the end, easy to hit at close range hurts the player more than the enemy because of simple probabilities. There will always be more attacks against the players and the enemy doesn't care to save their resources. This is where we are trying to balance and your feedback and actual experiences in the game is important. In the end, we want it to be fun while trying to get it as "realistic" as possible.

full auto with 5% hit chance should have landed at least one or two bullets, instead it seem to be a complete hit or complete miss. lame.
Only semi lame actually. This is how the system is. When you attack in full auto (lets say 5 round burst), your success in your attack is tallied against the defense of your enemy. The difference determines how many bullets hit. If lets say your target rolls a 15 and you roll a 15, then 1 bullet hits. If he rolls a 15 and you roll a 30, then all 5 bullets hit. (the difference factor can be adjusted up and down depending on how deadly you want it to get. Each bullet does separate damage so full auto and all hitting the target can basically take down almost anything with an assault rifle. (not counting armor of course) NOw there is the argument in the team to allow a close miss (miss by 3) to deal 1 bullet damage while on the dot will deal 2 bullet damage and then implement the damage factor. We will be experimenting with this in the months to come as to what people will enjoy.

Yeah, I saw that too, around the 14:20 mark. Large enemy, no apparent cover, full auto, about 10 feet away for 5% chance to hit? LOL something's wrong there.
First of all, thank you. You just gave me an idea that the target was indeed large. I didn't factor this in. I just implemented it immediately after i saw it so now it is easier to hit a bit because of its size. This is why i like the game being out now, because we get great feedback and puts everything into a new perspective. We're going to apply this now to all large (and larger) sized enemies. We've been making this game for 4 years straight and honestly were bound to miss something looking at it everyday for over 1500 days. Again thank you.

Actually, this what we are still trying to balance. The difficulty of the shot versus the damage modern weapons deal. We tried making the hit better and basically it became much less fun. Any level 1 character started taking down level 10 characters by just simply emptying their mag.

I would prefer more resistance to bullets, than just them not hitting just because the enemy is higher level. Or maybe make bullets more expensive or something, so that the player can't just keep emptying the clips at will.

I would worry about making combat more fun than just trying to avoid exploits.

It's a tactical and turn based combat. Players expect control and less RNG-agains't-you gameplay.

Back
Top Bottom