What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

Been watching a bunch of movies online to list.

Most of them are direct to DVD movies never released in theaters.

Anyway I rarely watch movies in theaters nowadays.

Last edited:
And the list is? You don't have to be thorough, just add on each title "gem", "trash", "mediocrity" or something.

Luckily for everyone who doesn't think all movies older than a year suck, most of direct2VHS/DVD are today available on streaming platforms, for example two Stargate movies that are good (you do need to watch SG1 previously!). Then there are numerous gems that never got a proper worldwide distribution, now available as remastered version on both optical media and streams. Then there are tons of movies you couldn't buy nor rent anywhere "till yesterday" (example of such one as I'm still working on the genre: Amazon has 12:01).

I believe everyone loves cinemas. But there are times when current offering is a sea of shallowness or nothing to pick that fits one's taste. In times of past, that ment a necessity to adapt the taste. Today, well, when nothing exciting is on the menu, I'm gonna call for a delivery of some chinese.

Here four of them.:)

Trainwreck - Decent comedy from a few years back.
Having thought that monogamy was never possible, a commitment-phobic career woman may have to face her fears when she meets a good guy.
Cherry - Average coming of age college story.
Ivy League Freshman, Aaron Milton (17) gets a different kind of education when he falls for Linda (34) a vivacious former wild-child who has returned to college to straighten out her life. The curriculum gets more challenging when Aaron meets Linda’s sarcastic 14 year-old daughter, Beth – who quickly develops a crush on him. The math doesn’t work in either direction but the dysfunctional triangle becomes a learning experience for all involved.
Boy Meets Girl - Average movie with a twist on the classic trope.
BOY MEETS GIRL is a funny, tender, sex positive romantic comedy that explores what it means to be a real man or woman, and how important it is to live a courageous life not letting fear stand in the way of going after your dreams.
The Dog Lover - Liked it as it shows how far groups like PETA are willing to go.
Sara Gold is a young girl on a quest to save man’s best friend. When she goes undercover to take down a dog breeder suspected of wrongdoing, she quickly finds out she might be on the wrong side of right. Sara must make a decision: to continue and follow the orders of her organization, United Animal Protection Agency, or trust her instincts and the boy she’s fallen in love with.

Man, stop picking movies randomly, seems you're out of luck. :D
IIRC you tend to watch movies with kids so let them choose next few ones. Yea they might go for some superheroes junk, but cmon, at least those are not boring. ;)

:D Yeah, it is hit or miss ... and really there is enough stuff that is free across our streaming services (we have Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Disney+, Hallmark Now, and a few months left of a ‘coupon’ for Starz) that we tend to avoid paying to rent movies unless we REALLY want to see.

And the kids are both away at college, so it is just the two of us. And we are pretty good with mediocre but fun/feel-good stuff, alternated with ‘actual good’ films.

I have absolutely no idea what did you just post.
Show that post to a random person on street and ask them if it makes any sense.

Well…Robert Pattinson from the Twilight movies is the new Batman.:wall:

EQsUbblXkAkFHw0

Link - https://www.ign.com/articles/the-batman-first-look-at-robert-pattinson-in-batsuit

Yeah but he is not Batman material sorry. - My personnel opinion.;)

WB's really on a roll after also nixing Henry Cavill as superman…:roll:

No wonder Marvel out sells every DC Universe movie.

clockwork orange - a movie most of you probably know and not one much mentioned. I saw it once a long long time ago and thought i would watch it again. Amusing little film - though perhaps not one of the most pleasant films one could watch.

Yeah but he is not Batman material sorry. - My personnel opinion.;)

WB's really on a roll after also nixing Henry Cavill as superman…:roll:

No wonder Marvel out sells every DC Universe movie.

I'm actually kinda ok with pattinson as an actor, but I don't think he has the build. The rest of the cast in this one is beyond bizarre... words fail me. Jim Gorden is black, Andy Serkis is Alfred,.. EVERY role is miscast. Following the Birds of Prey disaster, it seems DC just don't care anymore.

Whatever Dragon Quest animated movie appeared on Netflix.
I've patiently plodded through it for about 40 minutes and then couldn't bare it any more. I was waiting for puff-puff that never happens. Nothing ever happens to be precise.
And I say, skippit.

Note though that I also hated DQ11 and never played another DQ game. And most probably never will.

EDIT:
Pattinson is a very talented actor. The movies he picks to appear in usually cannot be saved by any display of talent. He should either change his agent or get someone who can instadetect a turd of a script.
Yet another Batman movie, with or without him, simply doesn't interest me.

We re-watched Sense and Sensibility, a movie I last saw in theatre maybe twenty-four or five years ago. The story is one told many times before, but the cast, costuming, and setting are simply outstanding, and make this film totally worth watching. You'll marvel that two hours plus flew by so quickly.

Pattinson's casting reminds me of Val Kilmer getting the role. Things that make you go, "huh?"

But it is easy to look back and second guess. Val Kilmer was an odd choice. George Clooney had people excited, but was trash.

Michael Keaton was still best known for ‘Mr Mom’ when named as Batman (Beetlejuice wasn’t out yet) ... and he turned out to be the best Batman of them all.

But it is easy to look back and second guess.

I'm not looking back - that's how I felt at the time, just like with Pattinson's casting now.

Time will tell; personally, I think he's too young (and scrawny) to play the part. But he's probably not much younger than Christian Bale in Batman Begins - though I've never been as crazy a fan of that trilogy as most people.

Just watched a movie called William from 2019.
Julian Reed and Barbara Sullivan create a Neanderthal baby using ancient Neanderthal DNA from a Neanderthal bog body. William must learn to exist in a world where he is the ultimate outsider, the only Neanderthal on the planet.
The movie portrays what it's like to be alone, and lost among another species outside your time. Add a mother who cares for him, and a father that sees him as nothing but an experiment. You can already guess how it ends. Not good. I'd give it an 8/10 at best.

Last edited:
I saw Parasite yesterday. T'was great. That is all. I also started watched about 10 mins of Uncut Gems, and I love a movie where Adam Sandler gives a fuck about his role, and doesn't just phone it in. He already demonstrated great action chops in other movies, like Punch Drunk Love, and I hope he'll do it more frequently.

Just watched a movie called William from 2019.The movie portrays what it's like to be alone, and lost among another species outside your time. Add a mother who cares for him, and a father that sees him as nothing but an experiment. You can already guess how it ends. Not good. I'd give it an 8/10 at best.
Ill skip that one (tags: drama, family), but I have to suggest Border.
This one doesn't end "not good" really. ;)
Very slow, yet exotic, I believe you'll like it because of that William.
Spoiler: the lead pair in this one aren't experiments nor neanderthals, but you'll like that twist. :D
Requirement: watch it alone.

My thoughts? It had so much potential yet wasted too much of time on filler instead of dealing the fatal blow to the society. Classic drama blueprint, bait the audience but don't make it too uncomfortable. I wish it was reckless to extreme, but that's just my taste.

Ok… now here's a selection I really wasn't expecting to like:

Black Moon Rising (1986) stars Tommy Lee Jones and Linda Hamilton with Robert Vaughn as the bad guy and also notable are appearances from Bubba Smith and Nick Cassavetes. What's this? The screenplay was by John Carpenter! Wow, what a cast list!

It has a 5.5/10 on IMDB from over 4,800 viewers, lol.

a real hidden gem of that genre. I really enjoyed every minute of it.

I mean, yeah, I can see why it's a 5.5/10 on a scale of every film ever made, but on a scale of video shop 80s action films, this is easily a 7/10, but for me today, with the added weight of all that instant nostalgia that literally drips from every crevice of every scene? Well, I got an 8/10 out of this unexpected wonder.
Because I forgot the most of it but did remember I liked it in the past, didn't comment a few weeks back, but rewatched it.

imdb votes completely failed here. Whoever panned it there should be ashamed. Idiots.

I mean 5/10? This move is above average in every sense of the word, even per today's Hollywood standard. Sure, those huge phones and hair styles look silly, but this movie was never about looks but about a smart script and decent key scenes and it did exactly that. Great performances are just bonus.
The painful finale is a touch of genious.
A mustwatch.

I also started watched about 10 mins of Uncut Gems, and I love a movie where Adam Sandler gives a fuck about his role
Can't stand comedies with that guy. I wished he never filmed anyting any more after I've watched two, forgot titles.
Now tell me, why should I risk that one and if?

Another movie I watched today was called Auggie.

Link - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7596220/

It was the usual man falls in love with an AI. It's mostly about addiction.

I'd give it 7/10 so not a must watch but it was decent.

Back
Top Bottom