Troubleshooter - Update #80

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
The tactical RPG Troubleshooter: Abandoned Children got a new update:

Update Details:

• In-game language selection has added to allow players to use the unofficial user translation.
  • You can find it at [ INTERFACE → Language ] in game option.
  • Restarting the game will be needed to apply the change.
  • Supports unofficial translation of Traditional Chinese and Russian.
  • A Search function has added to the [ Troublemaker List ].
  • Character loading image has added to the [ Gallery ] mode.
  • A function that allows you to select the maximum count and minimum count at the time you research a single mastery has added in the [ Mastery Researching ].
  • [Disable ability camera movement ] option has added to the [ GAMEPLAY ] tab in game option.
  • A description about the mastery that is part of mastery set and not revealed yet has added to the tooltip of the mastery set.
  • Checkpoints have added to those don't have it.
  • Quest missions of Leo (Beast Keeper) and Dembel (Weapons Merchant) have added.
  • Quest missions that are related to them will be updated continuously.
  • Increase amount of attack power per fire SP 1 has changed from 2 to 3.
  • An image of [ Mission Control ] while you are using [ Challenge Mode ] has changed to notify you clearer what mode is currently you are using.
  • Unequal distribution of the items through [ Activity Report ] has relieved.
  • Images that are used on the [ Jukebox ] have changed to default image if they are not revealed yet in the [Gallery].
  • In [Mastery Researching], masteries that required [ Insight ] have changed to require [Understanding] not [Insight].
  • In [Mastery Researching], Some masteries that can be equipped by human only have removed from the list of [Main research material].
  • In case of masteries that expand the limit of mastery slot or TP, it has changed to allow equip them in advance if it doesn't make any changes to the current mastery setup.
  • UI of the [Jurisdiction] has changed.
  • Once you unlock new difficulty, you can use that difficulty from the start of the new company.
    In the mission result screen, it doesn't go to the next step while you are checking the battle stats.
  • Fixed a bug that [Iron Fortress] had not been applied when a unit has [Battle mage of steel] mastery.
  • Fixed a bug that [ Armorbreak ] had not been applied properly in a specific condition.
  • Fixed a bug that [ Emergency Rescue System ] had not been activated in a specific condition.
  • Fixed a bug that [ Fortification ] had not been activated when [ Successor of guardian ] had activated.
  • Fixed a bug that calculation of SP and Cost that affect to ability damage applied not properly.
  • Fixed a bug that level 45 items had not been clicked on the Records in the craft UI.
  • Fixed a bug that you were able to change the screen resolution manually when you choose the [Borderless Window].
  • Fixed a weird animation of [Seasoned hunting dog].
  • Fixed typos.
  • Mastery sets have added.
[...]
More information.

I have played this game for over 200 hours the last month - great fun. Finally a game that can compete with Jagged Alliance 2.

196 hours on my side, but I think I won't return to it as I did everything except a few sidemissions planned to be added for levels 45+ later this year.
Erm… Okay not everything possible, for example I didn't raise all variations of draco pets although I did catch their eggs. The thing is, ice frog pet is the king of cc (freeze everything) and is almost unkillable (instaaction if hurt much tool) so I didn't see a point of replacing it.

Unless something drastically changes, this game will have my goty vote.

Are you guys talking about the japanese anime combat game? I guess I totally don't get it. I watched it and thought it was for children who still watch cartoons. Let's beat up the bad guys Batman and Robin! Bang/Pow/Bop! Then we'll smoke some weed with Daphne :) Again with the young girls with the massive..talent.

Are you guys talking about the japanese anime combat game? I guess I totally don't get it. I watched it and thought it was for children who still watch cartoons. Let's beat up the bad guys Batman and Robin! Bang/Pow/Bop! Then we'll smoke some weed with Daphne :) Again with the young girls with the massive..talent.

I don't get it either. I am happy than lot of people have fun with it but I really could not go past the super cliche dialogues 'I will try my best!', the super cliche standard personalities 'oh, a Tsundere!', the super cliche scenario with a protector (allegedly an aunt) who was paying for everything but the Hero never even met. I suppose it will return with a twist or something later, it always does. and so on and so on..

The aunt has 3 minutes of game-time in the very beginning in a story that has over 80 scenes.
In fact while sometimes cliche the story is so interesting and interwoven with many flashbacks to the past of each party member so that you want to know more of it. The story goes on if you solve more story-maps so it is a major driving factor.

To call this game a beat 'em up game is an insult. You have to use all your wits and all game mechanics to win major battles in this game even on normal difficulty.
Play at least 10-15 scenarios before judging this game because it develops slowly.

Are you guys talking about the japanese anime combat game?
No.

The game is korean. I have never seen a singleplayer korean game before and I have no idea if this is their first attempt of making one.

Anime in Korea means nothing, no such word. Anime in Japan means any animation. Anime in USA means only animation that comes from Japan and nowhere else.
In this case probably the best description would be anime styled.

Let's beat up the bad guys Batman and Robin! Bang/Pow/Bop!
No. That'd be combat in Valkyria Chronicles. Not in Troubleshooter.

Then we'll smoke some weed with Daphne :)
I wish! But no, probably to avoid higher rating.

Again with the young girls with the massive..talent.
Again no, in this game it's on the opposite extreme, kinda lazy to fire up the game and screenshot it so some random internet pic:

troubleshooter-abandoned-children-cover-xpk.jpg

I really could not go past the super cliche dialogues 'I will try my best!'
You're watching it from perspective of The Witcher.
The game story is presented mostly in VN style and the translation is not the best. Even if you can't adapt to it, this is not VN game where all you get is the story so you may as well ignore and skip dialogues completely. Do however explore choices as in most cases different choice nets different reward.

the super cliche standard personalities 'oh, a Tsundere!',
There is not a single tsundere in the game.

the super cliche scenario with a protector (allegedly an aunt)
I have no idea who are you talking about here. There is an aunt in the game? Where?
Forgive me but if there is, it's like watching a movie and then asking me did I notice completely irrelevant thing like a green glass on the white table during one scene.

-

The game is great. Fire it up and play for a while, at least till you recruit the third companion (the redhair girl on the pic above). After you do that, feel free to return and tell me why the game is garbage.
It's not a perfect game and I'm not saying it is. But it's not a standard overhyped mainstream bullshit, it's much better and more fun than any of it.

I played it until 3 missions after the rescue of the bar/office owner.

I totally respect the fact than people can love it. I did not want to stir a debate or pollute that thread and I am sorry about that.

I have issues with JRPG since years and I wanted to try it. Lot of people here seemed to enjoy it so maybe it would reconcile me with this kind of game. Well, nope.
I cannot pass over the story and the cringe factor it had for me.

The 'aunt' is the person who has paid and feed you for years. I mean for years. The game explains than both of you have been so busy all those years than you never found the time to meet even if you live in the same city.

Man…
It's not jrpg. It's xcom-like with more rpg inside. And no doomsday timers. :)

I do not remember any of it's first 5 missions. The earliest mission I remember is mission 6 only because I've replayed it later (why did I do that is something for a potential hints thread).
There are at least 80 different missions in the game and sorry but if there is something I can't remember that's tutorial missions from the start where 90% of ingame stuff is still locked and impossible to use. One of these things I mentioned above - replaying older missions (for whatever reason you might think of) which unlocks only later in the game.

When you start the game it looks like a simplistic and shallow phonegame only because it's a buch of tutorials you'll be playing.
This is the reason I asked you to play the game till you get the third party member as you're not aware of everything the game offers.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's a tactical combat game, so that leaves me out. Any game that has combat that lasts longer than 60 seconds for a single battle is a skip for me. Also, if combat is more than 50% of the game it's a double skip. That means I skip it and try to get others to avoid it too ;)

Not sure about 60 seconds… But if it matters I remember playing one mission (one map) for 2 and a half hours. Of course not all maps are like that, but just so you know.

Yes combat is more than 50% of the game here. I'd say 70%. The rest of the game is the story and preparation (character equips, crafting, micromanaging skills etc).

Counterquestion - do you like games where more than 50% of it is driving something? I didn't know I can't stand those till I bought GTA5 and decided later not to buy another GTA ever.
I mean I tried.
In this case I ask of you to try.

One more thing I know you'll want to hear about. There are no romances in Troubleshooter.
I said damn, but this info will make 99% of forum members here happy. :)

Yeah, it's a tactical combat game, so that leaves me out. Any game that has combat that lasts longer than 60 seconds for a single battle is a skip for me. Also, if combat is more than 50% of the game it's a double skip. That means I skip it and try to get others to avoid it too ;)
Ha thought I was the only one. Its the biggest reason I hate the Original Sin games.:biggrin:

Well, I'm glad to hear some people are really enjoying this. The mechanics look very cool but I'm someone who typically just cannot get into the theme of these anime-inspired games. The characters, dialog and stories don't resonate with me at all. They seem just too... I don't know, "immature" is the best word I can come up with.

Still, design-wise, it does look like an interesting game... who knows, maybe I'll try it some day if it gets cheap enough.

Well, I'm glad to hear some people are really enjoying this. The mechanics look very cool but I'm someone who typically just cannot get into the theme of these anime-inspired games. The characters, dialog and stories don't resonate with me at all. They seem just too… I don't know, "immature" is the best word I can come up with.

Still, design-wise, it does look like an interesting game… who knows, maybe I'll try it some day if it gets cheap enough.

This.

The themes Troubleshooter is touching are

• post-war society
  • gang crime
  • quasi-religious cults
  • corrupt administration
  • environmental pollution
  • war robots
  • triads (organized crime) fighting each other
  • street fighting

Doesn't sound immature? - it isn't. The only thing that reminds you a little bit on J-RPGs are the gfx. Everything else is like X-COM, Jagged Alliance 2, Incubation: Battle Isle Phase Four. If you like these tactical games play it, if you are already scared by Fallout 1 battles leave it.

Well for one its another tactical turn-based combat game and I'm not a fan of those. Two only being part of the complete game/full season is a turn off for me.
TROUBLESHOOTER: Abandoned Children is the first season of a turn-based strategy SRPG that takes place in the world of Troubleshooter.
Now about what themes the games covers doesn't matter to me, but I get enough of that in real life and the political forum on this site. Not kidding either. Worlds a mess.

I might look at this game when its fully complete though.

I think season 2 will be a new game or expansion.

With over 200 hours of playing time season 1 is already a bit long, but they will flesh it out a little bit further. Two new party members will be added this year.

The price/playing time beats most current games. So I bought even the soundtrack to get these devs some more money to develop their crowdfunded dream game even further.

The themes Troubleshooter is touching are

• post-war society
  • gang crime
  • quasi-religious cults
  • corrupt administration
  • environmental pollution
  • war robots
  • triads (organized crime) fighting each other
  • street fighting

Doesn't sound immature? - it isn't.

Well, themes alone don't dictate whether it's mature or immature. The writing could still be immature, the way those themes are addressed could be simplistic with a lack of nuance or insight, etc.

I have kids picture books in our house that have themes that include things like pollution or racism, etc but I wouldn't find their rather simplictic take on those topics very interesting or compelling.

I'm not suggesting this game doesn't dive into those in a deeper way... maybe it does, but just the inclusion of a topic doesn't mean it is executed in a compelling, insightful way. And for me, I've played my fair share of jrpg/jrpg-ish games over the years and usually I've found narrative and character in them to be pretty facile, cliched and uninteresting. Now to be fair, I could level those criticisms at a lot of Western game too but I enjoy those more, so maybe I'm just biased.

What you just wrote is like saying korean thrillers are rubbish mature/immature without ever watching one, but well, in past 20 years all other thrillers you watched were rubbish so koreans can't be any different.
They can and they are. Need a list?

Anyway, I think I've said enough about the game in this thread. Time for me to move on. If someone needs hints on the game, open a separate thread please.

What you just wrote is like saying korean thrillers are rubbish mature/immature without ever watching one, but well, in past 20 years all other thrillers you watched were rubbish so koreans can't be any different.
They can and they are. Need a list?

I'm not certain but I think this is directed to me… if so, your analogy doesn't really hold water in regards to my post. I have played many, many games from Asian countries and studios over the years, as I pointed out in my post. Sorry I used the term "jrpg"… I didn't think in the context of this discussion someone would take that to literally mean only RPG games from Japan. In my experience the term is much more broad than that.

Regardless, as I pointed out, I've played many games from all kinds of Asian countries, including Korea (and for what it's worth, I've spent time in Korea, Japan, China, Singapore and Hong Kong).

And so, my observations still stand from my perspective - that's my take on many of the games I've played from those regions. If you've got a different perspective and you find them deep and engaging in those areas, cool for you. You probably couldn't give me a list of games that proves you're right, just like I couldn't do that for you.

Hell, I even pointed out that I might be biased in my tastes (like we all are). There are no absolutes here - just opinions - and that's mine. You act as if I've somehow offended you?

Anyway, as to my point regarding the inclusion of theme in a game - or any medium for that matter - that, in of itself, does not imo guarantee that something is mature or immature, or nuanced or simplistic. I get what HiddenX was saying but I'm just pointing out that's not an absolute truism. One could find examples of what appear to be complex, important, mature themes treated in a simplistic, child-friendly fashion, just as one could find what appear to be simple themes, but treated in a very deep and mature way.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom