Tyranny - More Reviews

It makes a significant difference to me. One of the reasons I enjoyed the Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale series so much is because of the tremendous variety in the bestiaries in those games. On the other hand, Dragon Age seemed quite limited by comparison, and that's a major reason I didn't like it as much.

Given the story in Tyranny, I guess it's understandable. Though I have to wonder if the shortish development time was a factor as well.

But wouldn't that be a problem with any historical, contemporary or even non-space futuristic RPGs? How many monsters do you fight in Deus: Ex for example?

Last edited:
The issue with enemy types is that the story is mostly about politics and war, and as a result the majority of the enemies are human. In theory there are a lot of different types of human opponents, but in a real time game you can't really appreciate the subtle differences between different archers from different factions. You mostly only care that they are ranged attackers.

Arguably things wouldn't be so different even if you had more monster types. In real time it's just as hard to appreciate the subtle differences between an orc archer, a goblin archer, and a skeleton archer. But at least they look a little different.

Cosmetic differences.

Real time does not disallow differences between units. Tyranny made a job distinguishing one from another through animation. A fight played in real time is a show to see.

Devs also aimed at introducing differences through gameplay. Each faction have indeed the same units but they play differently. And should call for a different approach.

I´m loving the game so far. I have played for 28 hours and gotten a bit into the second act (I am playing on Path of the Damned difficulty and I explore everything)

Fascinating storyline, great characters, an unusual and entertaining magic system and decent combat. I spent over 190 hours with PoE and the two White Marsh expansions and yet this far I find both the story in Tyranny to be much more compelling and the companions to be better and more entertaining than their PoE counterparts.

Heartily recommended!

You summed up my feelings perfectly. It's PoE but better. I've been thinking about this game when I'm not playing it, which is always the sign of a classic in my book. The companions are much better fleshed out than PoE and I actually enjoy clicking thru their conversations and hearing their battle-quips.

Really enjoying it!

Glad to hear some are positive about it. I was hoping it would be good.

Back
Top Bottom