Cyberpunk 2077 - Progressing as Planned

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
@PCGamesN CD Projekt RED have responded to rumours generated when some staff members left Cyberpunk 2077. They say things are progressing as planned and individual departures have no great effect on the project.

[…]

They explain that individual departures do not have a significant impact on the project. They also say that the reason for some departures is that "every role-playing game we ever developed seemed impossible to achieve at the moment we set out to create it." In essence, the studio is extremely ambitious, and has a culture of reinventing everything they do to stay out of their comfort zone and "make the magic happen."
More information.

you beat me to it Silver :)

Means we get the game in year 2077 as planned? :D

"…as it turns out, most things are perfectly possible, they just require a lot of faith, commitment and spirit."

Faith = Loyalty (stop whistle-blowing)
Commitment = Overtime (your job is your life)
Spirit = Morale (you are replaceable- if you don't like it, leave)

This was as much a message to their employees as it was to the fans.
;)

"…as it turns out, most things are perfectly possible, they just require a lot of faith, commitment and spirit."

;)

I like how one can take a piece of text, assign any kind of meaning to it, and pretend they are a great sage discerning "the truth" by "reading between the lines".

I like how one can take a piece of text, assign any kind of meaning to it, and pretend they are a great sage discerning "the truth" by "reading between the lines".

It's called bullshit PR. Every company does it. Plus, reading between the lines (discerning actual meanings from statements people make) is literally my job. So yeah. *shrugs*

You must be bedazzled by politicians. All the wonderful things they say… I must use witchcraft to see through it.

He most likely isn't. He simply doesn't take every uttering as a God's given truth…

;)

In my view this is a good interpretation of what is clearly corporate speak. Well done.

He most likely isn't. He simply doesn't take every uttering as a God's given truth…

In that case, I would suggest he start with something like: "That's one way of interpreting CDPR's press release, but here's why I disagree..." Instead, he chose to patronize. And so I followed him down the rabbit hole like any mature adult on an anonymous forum would.

Listen, I'm a fan of CDPR, I really am. But they could have simply said, "Hey, we're aware of the recent rumors of employee beatings, but it's not true. People leave. It's a business, and yes sometimes we have to push our folks hard to make deadlines. I'm sure our dedication to making Cyberpunk 2077 the best game we can will only make our fans happy." But instead, he went on and on with sometimes odd word choice, which (**IN MY OPINION**) suggests there's probably something to it.

The end.

IMO there are prolly a couple other things going on…

CDPR management is really really focused on their games and experiencing tone deafness as a result. They believe they are (and indeed they are) contributing to economy and industry of Poland. They are proud of their employee's enthusiasm and commitment. And making great games.

They are creating jobs in Poland that didn't exist -- and an industry that didn't exist. And they really really aren't seeing teh potential problem of workers being burned out…

Management is probably really really dedicated and working average of 12+ hrs/day. Proud of themselves and programmers/developers. Difference is that management gets more salary and stock bonus…

Solution is give employees stock bonus and/or matching stock purchase plan. Employees reap rewards from gtrowth of company in addition to salary.

I think they're good ppl. Hope thy get it figured out.

__

;)

I dont think that is what is meant by those words in that context.

Faith = Believe reaching the goal is possible even though it looks unlikely or impossible.
Commitment = Overtime(I agree with this)
Spirit = Work as fast as possible and as well with others as possible.

You have taken that line out of that paragraph and made it as dubious as possible. You should be ashamed if that is actually your job.

The full paragraph is this:
Every roleplaying game we ever developed seemed impossible to achieve at the moment we set out to create it. It took us five years to finish The Witcher 1, we had to make our own engine to complete The Witcher 2: Assassin of Kings, and we had to entirely reinvent the way we make games to deliver and open world for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. When we start down the road to create something, we know the destination and we are sure of one thing, even if something feels impossible, it doesnt mean it is. As it turns out, most things are perfectly possible, they just require a lot of faith, commitment and spirit.

The context is clear as day. Now, I am not saying what you described doesnt happen in the company, but that sentence in context clearly is something different to what you have said about it.

Listen, I'm a fan of CDPR, I really am. But they could have simply said, "Hey, we're aware of the recent rumors of employee beatings, but it's not true. People leave. It's a business, and yes sometimes we have to push our folks hard to make deadlines. I'm sure our dedication to making Cyberpunk 2077 the best game we can will only make our fans happy." But instead, he went on and on with sometimes odd word choice, which (**IN MY OPINION**) suggests there's probably something to it.

The end.

Welllll... if you put it like this how can I disagree? :)

Got to give some credit to them for addressing it. There's no real evidence that they are trying to cover anything up except these don't appear to be your average employees. But really, everyone is replaceable and as far as we know them being good might be a good thing. Anything else is just cynicism.

The company would release the exact same statement regardless of the work environment or people's reasons for leaving.

They could have a policy where anyone working fewer than 80 hours in a week is sent into an underground maze full of hungry mutant wolves. Their PR would pump out the the same thing.

dw___silence_will_fall_by_meway-d3erc3r.gif

Yea. Today, silence has fallen:

https://twitter.com/CyberpunkGame/status/951091371200466944

What makes you think that they'll try?

Back
Top Bottom