How to end a great game?

I agree, Mafia ending was nearly perfect. Good thing the one terrible level came early in the game (racing) :)

I don't really recommend SOMA. Yea the ending reminded me of a book i read as a child or a dream I had or something but it was a bit too obvious. the game itself isn't horrible but there are better games. bioshock is not htat great but it is better than SOMA and imho has a better ending (even if itis not a very good ending).

SOMA was pretty neat. It's lacking in the gameplay department, but it's worth playing for the story alone. It's also worth checking out if you're a fan of underwater environments.

Dragon Age:Origins had a nice mesh of familiarity & additional aspects for the final boss battle. Thought the ending itself was fairly good too.

Deus Ex's finale was mint. Various ways to appraoch it, all utilizing elements which you'd evolved, and the resulting cinematic tied in brilliantly too.

And Divinity 2:TDKS still remain my favourite ending of all time in terms of plot. Didn't see that coming!

Witcher 3's main game ending was extremely good, IMHO. Epic battle, well-earned apocalypse that they've been building up toward for three games, and I got something fairly happy in the excellent postlude. I actually got a rather sad ending for Blood & Wine but it was *still* great because it was so well handled.

NeiR: Automata messed with the whole concept. Technically, there's 26 endings but there's really only one true ending which came after the credits rolled for the last time.

I agree regarding endings that completely mangle a game's systems to try and make it more epic. Risen was hurt bad by that, as was the first Arkham game. I think it's a pretty rare mistake, though.

What can be fun are games that twist the mechanics just a bit. Something that's probably really shocking but, once you think about it a little, you can overcome it with some small changes to your normal strategies. Sacrifice did that nicely.

(Sacrifice also had the funniest end credits ever.)

Back
Top Bottom