Top 10 CRPGs of all time

Curious, I can see your a long time gamer but Deus Ex 2 . . . ? ? ? come on. And you even played Deus Ex 1 and liked it . . . except for the forced fashion statment. However, I know exactly where you are coming when you stated you couldn't finish a game (anachronax) because you knew there was not going to be a sequel. I simply can not finish No One Live Forever 2 (about 2/3 complete) because there will be no further adventures. NOLF 1 is one of my top three games of all time and NOLF 2 is not to much further behind.

I have both Seige of Avalon and Vampires Bloodlines, new, shrinkwrapped and sitting on a nearby shelf waiting to be installed. I know they're good games, but sheez man the day only has 24 hours. I wish someone would do something about that . . .

I've had Siege of Avalon anthology ("6 complete chapters" says the case) sitting here on my desk for months, got it at Circuit City for literally like 99 cents, looks like a damaged cover and cracked case helped the price. Couldnt pass that up. Just reading the case, I could tell that it was some kind of old school RPG that has a huge following. Somewhere ='.'=

Any good SOA sites I should know about?

I'm going to give it a whirl one of these days.

Hey you didn't have to use sunglasses, in DX1.
Didn't you know you could have had the same skin without glasses?
I guess I am glad someone like DX2. :(
I know I wanted to like it, there is something there but the horrid condition of the game though most of it has been reduced since the release of the community projects by John-P and BlumenKohl.
Still there is nothing (at least currently) which can be done about constant level changing due to tiny levels and the terrible universial ammo.
It was poor design at least to me to allow the Templars not to be knocked out as well.

Dajjer
"I simply can not finish No One Live Forever 2 "
Gasp! Horror! can't believe you won't finish it, there is an execellent ending including the continuing story (one day) in the closing credits any fan would be missing out terribly by not playing the ending. :(
Monolith has never said they wouldn't make another NOLF, only they needed a break since sales were not going where they wanted/needed.
Besides they took one of the best mission creations, Sibera and just killed it with that respawing crap, actually there were several gameplay issues but damn those snowmoblies were a blast. ;)

Bloodlines! Omg!
Heh, well I understand with titles like NWN2 and G3 out but honestly Bloodlines with the official 1.2 and unofficial patch is one of the best RPGs due to the incretible cast of loony NPCs, acting, animation, music are all top notch, plus you get to play maybe one of the funnest PC ever written (todate anyway) a Malk. :p

xSamhainx
Damn that's a great deal, think I will look here at Circut City. ;)
GameFAQs has some guides even one by SWCarter whom does many at GameBanshee. :)
I haven't really seen any forums or fan sites, so maybe RPGWatch has a new mission.

Any good SOA sites I should know about?

Definitively the SoAmigos community from above !

A good part of their page is in English,. and I'm sure they might be capable of the English language as well. :)

Their latest Patch is actually kind of a mod, but it erases almost all bugs in the German version. I don't know, however, in how far it is applicable to international versions. The game versions of the English game and the German game differed a bit, even in the .EXE's, if I remember correctly.

Since a huge part of the game relies on text files, modding is relatively easy.
They also have the tools for modding - I mean editors & stuff.

hmm..lots of talk about obscure but excellent (or not so) CRPG's of the past lately.

I'm the only one to put Dark Heart of Uukrul in their top 10. Has no one else played it?

Its not so surprising to be a lost classic because it came out around the same time that the Apple ][ was finally obsoleted.

no, you are not. i put it on 6. i played it first time in 2003 with DOSbox end enjoyed it for many hours. so i dont think a good game can be obsolete because of graphics.
Btw, combat in DHoU is very similliar to later shareware combat-RPGs like Nahlakh, Natuk and Helherron. Did someone mentioned them?

Time to opine:

1) Planescape Torment

The epitome of everything RPGs should be about. Plenty of stats to keep all but the most die-hard happy, but they're only a means to an end: shaping something unprecendented - an original fantasy setting (and an epic story).

2) Panzer Dragoon Saga
(Freudian slip... I started writing Planescape Torment again here :p)

Linear as any console RPG, but with beautiful graphics that have barely aged, audio that hasn't at all and recognisably human characters. It all comes together as something unprecedented - an original fantas... rats.

3) Fallout 2
(to my shame I still haven't played the original)

When I picked up an intruiging looking, highly customisable post-apocalyptic RPG, I wasn't exactly expecting the second funniest game I've ever played (after Monkey Island, of course!). Not exactly a comedy, but some hilarious set pieces. And the generally ugly graphics come to life when (in non-European versions) you stick a frighteningly large minigun against a wee kiddy's torso and gleefully pull the trigger.

4) System Shock 2

I originally played this in company, during the daytime, with the curtains open. My friend still only has to say 'rrrraaaghhhhkkiilllllllMEEEEEEEE' (you'd be surprised how often it comes up in conversation) to make me shriek and dive behind the curtains.

5) Skies of Arcadia

Normally I have little time for console RPGs, and the gameplay in this isn't really groundbreaking. But the two most beautiful (family friendly) sights in this world are the Scottish Highlands and Arcadia. Particularly when mile-high robots rampage across its pretty little continents.

6) Planet's Edge

A long, and relatively unusual 80s sci-fi RPG, with a plot unlike any I've seen. The earth suddenly disappears, and as humanity's first interstellar travellers, you have to find out how and why... while the Moonbase can still support what's left of humanity.

7) Ultima Online

Are people deliberately avoiding MMOs? This is still the most gratifying one for me, anyway. An excess of PKs made life for even the most developed player demanding - and very interesting.

9) Story of Thor

Another hybrid - a beat-em-up/adventure/RPG that predated Shenmue by several years, and didn't require you to stand in a carpark hitting the same button combination over and again. Bizarrely for such a visceral genre, it also had an involving story, with an unexpected twist in the tale.

10) Anachronox

Some of the best persistent voice acting (as opposed to Planescape's equally brilliant clips) I've heard in a game. Dry, ironic, post-modern. Everything no RPG will ever be again.

Dishonourable mentions to:

1) Baldur's Gate II

What does everyone see in this? The characters have all the depth of a popcorn movie, without the sex appeal. The sprites (and backgrounds) are drab and mostly generic, the plot is 'character with unrealised destiny defeats powerful wizard and saves the world.' Combat is impossibly fiddly - your characters pose more danger to you than the enemy. And the jokes could've come from a box of Christmas crackers.

2) Shenmue

'I am a mighty warrior, who's just defeated 10 of your fellow henchmen, and I wish to progress beyond this door.

'I'm sorry.
'You can't go in.'

'I see...
'I'll go and beat up a carpark for 3 hours, then.'

Last edited:
Dishonourable mentions to:

1) Baldur's Gate II

What does everyone see in this? The characters have all the depth of a popcorn movie, without the sex appeal. The sprites (and backgrounds) are drab and mostly generic, the plot is 'character with unrealised destiny defeats powerful wizard and saves the world.' Combat is impossibly fiddly - your characters pose more danger to you than the enemy. And the jokes could've come from a box of Christmas crackers.
'

No offense, but it doesn't sound like you even played BG2 very long.

I finished it once, after restarting repeatedly, and seeing pretty much all the strongholds, romances and subquests, usually several times. It's one of those horrible games which is addictive without ever actually being fun.

Anyway, if a game's crap for the first 10 hours, then it's a crap game. There are plenty of gems out there that you don't need to spend half an eternity in purgatory to enjoy.

If a game is crap for the first ten hours then you aren't going to spend another 80-90 hours finishing it.
Not sure I agree with that. I've slogged thru a game or two waiting for it to eventually "get good" and never getting the payoff.

I finished it once, after restarting repeatedly, and seeing pretty much all the strongholds, romances and subquests, usually several times. It's one of those horrible games which is addictive without ever actually being fun.

Anyway, if a game's crap for the first 10 hours, then it's a crap game. There are plenty of gems out there that you don't need to spend half an eternity in purgatory to enjoy.

I think there is a broad difference between 'crap' and 'over-rated'. Crap would be something like MistMare or Metalheart.

Baldur's Gate II

It is not crap, aside from that I agree though. As you can see I also bad mouthed it a little bit in my list. It is really overestimated. Unlike you I did not finish it though, but I did spend a lot of hours with it. When I got really far I just got so tired and bored I quit though... I tried to replay it making different choices only to realise it didn't make that big of a diffarance! Besides why would I want to romance the characters there..... they are completely flat and uninteresting at least compared to the Planescape Torment ones. Besides the character sprites are so unbeliavable ugly......... graphics never was that important to me. BG2 is acctually one of the few games were it bothers me though.... because the environments are really beautiful at some places!

GothicGothicness, That's almost the exact same way that I feel about Planescape Torment. I guess it just boils down to what you like.

Both of them were great games though.

1. Gothic 1
2. Gothic 2 + NotR
3. Gothic 3
4. Oblivion
5. KotOR 1
6. Gothic 2 without NotR
7. KotOR 2
8. NwN
9. LotR The Third Age
10. Morrowind or Dungeon Siege (Not sure which one is the worst)

-> 8, 9 and 10 are of considerable lower quality to me and they are only in the top ten because my RPG knowledge is very limited still. (I like to play an RTS too -> WC 3, LotR BFME 1 + 2 + expansion, AoE 2 + 3, AoM with expansion)

no, you are not. i put it on 6. i played it first time in 2003 with DOSbox end enjoyed it for many hours. so i dont think a good game can be obsolete because of graphics.
Btw, combat in DHoU is very similliar to later shareware combat-RPGs like Nahlakh, Natuk and Helherron. Did someone mentioned them?

nice. when I tried to replay it again about 9 years ago I ran into a problem with the security but couldn't find a manual to get past it. I should take another crack at it. I loved the animation. its shame the Apple ][ had jsut died because it could have been a classic.

I'll have to check out those other games you mentioned. Are they made by the same company?

For its time, Ultima Underworld was probably the best CRPG ever. It's worth noting that ComputerGamingWorld Magazine considered Ultima Underworld the best PC game of all time (any genre) for quite a while.

Even now, Ultima Underworld is still a useful benchmark to compare with other CRPGs. In my mind, Gothic and TES were both inspired by Ultima Underworld (and the entire FPS genre, since it pioneered use of the first-person perspective).

Gothic borrowed the idea of putting the player into a prison setting with competing societies, each with their own perspective, politics, and vision for the future; and they did it with wonderful balance, cool graphics, and plenty of TLC.

TES emphasized the huge gaming world, one that was full of things to discover, especially if you searched carefully. And even more than Gothic, the TES games emphasized RPG first-person real-time combat (Piranha Bytes just did it a lot better). Both of those concepts were introduced to PC gaming by Ultima Underworld.

Last edited:
Even now, Ultima Underworld is still a useful benchmark to compare with other CRPGs. In my mind, Gothic and TES were both inspired by Ultima Underworld (and the entire FPS genre, since it pioneered use of the first-person perspective).
Umm, there were numerous 1st person games prior to Ultima Underworld. "Pioneered" might be a little overboard.

Umm, there were numerous 1st person games prior to Ultima Underworld. "Pioneered" might be a little overboard.

Ultima Underworld was among the first first person RPGs to have truly 3-dimensional terrain with jumping and such as opposed to a flat world. I only recall Midwinter doing it before Ultima, and Midwinter wasnt an RPG.

EDIT: The first person games released around the years after Ultima Underworld were more inspired by Doom and and Wolfenstein 3D, so I wouldnt rate the game as that influential. It took quite some time for anyone to pick up where it left with a more interactive first person gameworld...

Back
Top Bottom