Anyone else here train in the gym

Well I do us a lot of free weights, no straight bar movements at all any more(only dumbbells) Cable machines offer a lot more control and better negative movements.

One of my guys I have trained with for years is 27, 315 lbs getting ready to try for his pro card and uses more machines then free weights.

I say whatever works for you might not work for the next person.

Cable machines are good and also lat pull down machines. I was thinking more nautilus machines and universal machines. Those machines can be good for adding some definition but not so much bulk. Not bad to mix it up though.

I can't remember what it was called but there is a great documentary on Netflix about the guy from England that broke the dead lift record. Followed him thru Strongman competitions and his diet. Was very fascinating. The mountain from Game of Thrones was also in it.

I still love watching Pumping Iron with Arnold. I live close to Columbus Ohio and have gone to the Arnold Classic a few times. That is a fun time and just see some giants there.

I can't remember what it was called but there is a great documentary on Netflix about the guy from England that broke the dead lift record. Followed him thru Strongman competitions and his diet. Was very fascinating.

Andy Bolton. Yeah, he was a beast. Legend has it that he pulled over 500lbs the first time he ever deadlifted. I remember that for years him and Benedikt Magnússon of Iceland would leapfrog each other for world records.

Unfortunately, he can no longer train at that level. He found out last year that his kidneys were failing, and he was forced to lose massive amounts of body weight. Last I heard, he was waiting for a kidney transplant.

500-1000 extra kcal is more than for lean weight gain for non power lifters.
Celtic's King Kong diet is crazy...unless they get to feed me lasagnes all day, don't remember ever reaching anywhere near 10k.
It's more important to build healthy habits that you'll enjoy long term, than torture yourself and obsess over counting calories, eating dry chicken all day long.
Replace sweets with chocolate milk/protein shakes( some actually taste pretty good), healthier snacks like nuts/raisin, cut down on bread ( or most things from bakery), lighter meals four hours before sleep ( something that gives long lasting sugar saturation...milk+some type of fibre cereals).

Celtic's King Kong diet is crazy…unless they get to feed me lasagnes all day, don't remember ever reaching anywhere near 10k.
It's more important to build healthy habits that you'll enjoy long term, than torture yourself and obsess over counting calories, eating dry chicken all day long.
Replace sweets with chocolate milk/protein shakes( some actually taste pretty good), healthier snacks like nuts/raisin, cut down on bread ( or most things from bakery), lighter meals four hours before sleep ( something that gives long lasting sugar saturation…milk+some type of fibre cereals).

Good advice in my opinion, well said. It's better to find habits that you can live with long term, and not jump on the bandwagon for the new super diet or the ultra muscle building extreme training programming.

Make choices that you can see yourself living with long term, weither it's cutting down on sugar or making the comittment to visit the gym at least once a week to actually get some value for that membership you've had for years. Small steps are often better than leaps.

Personally though, not eating for four hours before I go to bed? Not going to happen. ;)

Also...swimming, in cold(er) water if possible. Great way to take away "stiffness" from weight lifting and really helps with muscle ache.

I go to the gym about one time per week, just to stay in good shape and stay healthy. No interest in building up muscles or such. The gym I have frequented for about 10 years closed quite recently, and it felt really weird, kind of like losing a second home.

I still don't understand how 10K calories can work without gaining fat - no matter what the hell you lift :)

But, some mysteries aren't meant to be solved, I guess!

Okay I will try and explain it this way.

Take any mid valued family car, it uses reg gas and gets great gas millage.

Take that same car and replace the engine in it with a high performance one. Now you have to put in high performance gas and you get crap gas millage.

It is the same once you turn start putting on lean muscle, it requires more fuel and the hard you work it the more it needs. Muscle needs more cals than fat does.

My young friend that is training to be a pro Body builder right now is having a problem losing weight as he is getting leaner. His girl friend has to wake him up twice a night to eat or he can lose up to 2-6lbs well he sleeps. So right he eating 8-10 meals a day.

Celtic's King Kong diet is crazy…unless they get to feed me lasagnes all day, don't remember ever reaching anywhere near 10k.
Replace sweets with chocolate milk/protein shakes( some actually taste pretty good), healthier snacks like nuts/raisin, cut down on bread ( or most things from bakery), lighter meals four hours before sleep ( something that gives long lasting sugar saturation…milk+some type of fibre cereals).

My rule of was always when I ate that much is I eat 6-8 meals a day x 7 days in a week, equals 42 to 48 meals a week so having 2-4 meals of crap was always fine. Also the body and only process so much at one time so if you have a total crap meal say at the movies, where you get a large pop, large pop corn with candy and a slice of pizza. Plus you are in the dark with other people so it doesn't count right?

Right now I am no were never the food intake as I am older and not sure what I am doing right now. My wife and talked just last night and she said she would be find with me going back up over 300lbs if that is what I want to do. She is my new training pard. at the gym and has the bug now too.

Not sure at 48 if that is what I want to do, work is busy and it is a lot of work, not the gym part just all the other stuff that goes along with it...

Going to the gym once a week combined with casual exercise at home is the best for long term health. Cold showers/swimming in cold water is also a big health booster. People taking a large amount of supplements are just putting their kidneys at risk and more likely to have joint issues.

People taking a large amount of supplements are just putting their kidneys at risk and more likely to have joint issues.

Is that a fact or just what you think?

Doesn't matter to me I really only eat local farmed food anyways.

I didn't click this link for the longest time because I thought it was something Pokemon related.

Okay I will try and explain it this way.

Take any mid valued family car, it uses reg gas and gets great gas millage.

Take that same car and replace the engine in it with a high performance one. Now you have to put in high performance gas and you get crap gas millage.

It is the same once you turn start putting on lean muscle, it requires more fuel and the hard you work it the more it needs. Muscle needs more cals than fat does.

My young friend that is training to be a pro Body builder right now is having a problem losing weight as he is getting leaner. His girl friend has to wake him up twice a night to eat or he can lose up to 2-6lbs well he sleeps. So right he eating 8-10 meals a day.

The basics are easy enough to understand :)

I guess I just underestimated your size and activity levels!

I'm trying to lose some weight now

I never spent much time in a gym, think I went maybe ten times in my life. I did, however, fence for eighteen years, and twelve of those years were spent doing so on a team for John Hopkins out of Baltimore. I also used to walk five miles in the morning before work, and five miles when I got home in the evening. The good old days!

I'm trying to lose some weight now

In before everyone starts giving you their "best" advice. Now we're going to have a fight between the CICO people, vegans, keto, paleo, fasting, low-fat, etc. :p

You can't stop me. :p
"CICO people, vegans, keto, paleo, fasting, low-fat, etc." - never heard.

Forget gym.
There is only one method that works. Less eatin' and less drivin'. No, not less eatin' only something - why would you neglect chocolate? Eat everything you do already, just less. Additionally, walk instead of driving. Just walk, no need to run or whatnot. Does miracles.

You can't stop me. :p
"CICO people, vegans, keto, paleo, fasting, low-fat, etc." - never heard.

Forget gym.
There is only one method that works. Less eatin' and less drivin'. No, not less eatin' only something - why would you neglect chocolate? Eat everything you do already, just less. Additionally, walk instead of driving. Just walk, no need to run or whatnot. Does miracles.

lol we found our CICO person!

I can't walk to work, 25 miles is too far. But I do need to lose weight too. Last weekend I blew it. Eating less used to work wonders, but not anymore. I need something to get my metabolism rate up.

Back
Top Bottom