KoA: Reckoning - Interview @ Eurogamer

aries100

SasqWatch
Eurogamer has an interview with Ian Frazier, lead designer for this game. They talk about the possibility for a sequel. As always, it comes down to sales as well as reviews:
But even if Reckoning fails to set tills alight, there may still be hope. "It comes down to units sold at the end of the day, but it's complicated," he said. "If the game doesn't sell that many copies but the critical reception is really good, then our publisher might be like, well, it was the first in a new franchise, we're going to take a bet and sign you up for another one. If the sales are really good you're pretty much set no matter what. There's a pretty big sliding scale there.
In other KO:A news a dlc featuring weapons and armour has been released. Here's a quote from Gamebanshee about this dlc:
Steam and Origin bundle them all together for $4.99, while Xbox Live and PSN feature them as separate Might, Finesse, and Sorcery packs for $3 a piece.
A quote from Steam about what's in this dlc-pack:
Weapons & Armor Bundle Pack Includes:Reckoning Sorcery Bonus Pack
Equip your hero with a unique selection of Sorcery-enhancing gear. Includes the unique armor set "Pensive Robes", a unique helm, talisman, and three unique weapons to boost your magic attack damage, magic resistance, and mana regeneration skills.
Reckoning Might Bonus Pack
Equip your hero with a unique selection of Might-enhancing gear. Includes the unique armor set "Vigilant Mail", a unique helm, shield, and three unique weapons to boost your damage resistance, health, and attack damage.
Reckoning Finesse Bonus Pack
Equip your hero with a unique selection of Finesse-enhancing gear. This pack includes the unique armor set "Imminent Armor", a unique helm, shield, and three unique weapons to boost your critical attack damage, evasion, and stealth skills.
More information.

Buying in-game items to be delivered directly to your character always feels like cheating to me. I don't really like how they do that in ME games or in Fallout New Vegas with the courier's stash either - though the latter didn't exactly change the game balance. I guess though with super tiny sparse DLC that it's the only way to make it seem worth playing - if they just added a few items somewhere in the world people would probably ask "why should I bother buying it?"

I do hope 38 does well enough on this game though to make another - and perhaps well enough to shop around for another publisher besides EA. The world and lore is interesting enough and the game is good enough as a debut for the studio that I would like to see what the team might create now that they have some more experience.

This DLC is crap and very expensive imho, there are enough items in the game (found, bought or c reated) and therefore this DLC is not needed. If they add new territories and quests in a sort of mini expansion that might earn them some of my euro's (apart from the initial purchase of course).

Totally agree about the dlc stuff feeling like a cheat. I've gotten to the point now where some fights are fun and challenging, the last thing I'd want to do is trivialize it now. KoA is actually pretty fun atm, it started out very easy and just got tougher, and I like that!

-Carn

EA just cant leave the DLC alone .

It's not just EA, it's just about everyone, at least you do not need this stuff to enjoy the game(seems like a cheat for the lazy) It's not like it's a major questline left out...like some other game not made by EA;)

Totally agree about the dlc stuff feeling like a cheat. I've gotten to the point now where some fights are fun and challenging, the last thing I'd want to do is trivialize it now. KoA is actually pretty fun atm, it started out very easy and just got tougher, and I like that!

-Carn

Well, they seem to have made a design choice that makes the DLC stuff scale to the level of your character at the time you buy the DLC....! And there even seems to be a bug that they don't scale correctly, so that the weapons are extremely weak....

http://forums.reckoning.amalur.com/showthread.php?5125-Armor-and-Weapons-Mini-DLC

And most people even have problems downloading the DLC (the same goes for pre-order related content).

Back
Top Bottom