Happy Father's Day!

blatantninja

Resident Redneck Facist
It may be fake holiday made up to sell greeting cards, but Happy Father's Day anyway!

This is my second one as a father, and really the first one where I really thought about what it meant to be a father. Last year, my daughter was only 9 months old. I loved her of course and would do anything for her, but at that age, they aren't that interactive, especially with Daddy vs Mommy.

This year though, its different. In the past few months, she's become a total Daddy's girl. When I come in from work, she screams "Daddy!" and races to the front door (usually shoving the dog out of the way in the process!) She's constantly giving me hugs, grabbing my hand to show me something, etc. I like to think that I've been at least good father since Day 1, but it's really been recent that I have really realized what being a father is all about.

I took my daughter with my on a trip to Austin on Thursday. I had a conference on Friday, and wanted to give my wife a few days to herself before she joined us today to head out to a resort for a week of vacation. When I booked the trip, I really was just doing it for the benefit of my wife, but having a few days of just Brianna and me has been amazing. Not perfect (traveling is tough on them at that age), but amazing. It's really made me realize how lucky I am to be a father and I truly can't imagine having a life without her.

On the downside, my older brother watched her while I was at the conference, and due to a diaper incident and her just generally being fussy, I'm pretty sure he's been scared off from ever having children himself!

So Happy Father's Day to all those fathers out there!

Back
Top Bottom