The TV Series discussion thread

It would be absolutely hilarious if Martin had been sitting on Winds of Winter for the past few months, then markets it within the next month or two, just to ride the hype ribbon.

I've heard he's finished with Winds and Winter and A Dream of Spring for some time and didn't want to release the books until after the show ended, which makes sense because that'll bring in more money from the franchise.

I agree, this past series could have easily used ten episodes, yet they did not do so. It adds to the rushed feeling and using foreshadowing as character advancement, as for why they only used six episodes, who knows. A friend of mine just thinks they were off to their next job/project.

I'm hoping they stick with Confederate despite the backlash online. The premise sounds fascinating.

HBO has a lot of shows coming out they're prioritizing. D&D probably needed to finish GoT before focusing on Confederate. They likely need to finish the script, find the cast, shoot the season, edit it all and ship it. We likely won't see it until the end of 2020.

Smells of ungratefulness, people lamenting the poor ending of that cultural phenonemon.

Without watching a single episode of that series, the conclusion it is great.
When first hearing of it, it was quickly determined it was a rip off of an existing novel (not deemed good enough so it had to be redone as it is common in the US), a line of course that usually ends with delivering poorer products than the original.

No disappointment, speculating against stuff that could happen delivered.

The great value of this show was all the side show with people quitting their job to speculate full time against stuff unlikely to happen.

Stuff like baratheon's curse or how a simple greetings scene is overread.

Hundreds of videos bringing tons of speculation about stuff that was unlikely to happen.

I disagree, having read the comments around here now, they are all very mild if not outright positive on the final season of GoT. With some exceptions of course.

Has anyone tried PM'ing the bot (ChienAboyeur), does it answer or is the script just running on the various forums? It's getting annoying tbh. A moderator should look into it, i guess it's not as annoying as sales bots who spams ads, but almost.

I think, therefore I don't exist. :p

Back to topic, who remembers this short part from Karate Kid (1984) movie?

The new Cobra Kai season is full of easter eggs and references to the classic, even in the trailer there is something to notice related to the scenes above:

Finished watching it. A bit different from the first season, but not less exciting.
Not only I want more, I say it's one of those shows you need to watch before you die.
Remember, later this year Youtube Red (Premium) will turn into free streaming with ads so don't rush on it unless you've already subscribed.

Cobra Kai still looks like a silly cash-grab to me, but I've had more than one friend tell me to check it out. I'll probably give it a look soon when I can find the time.

Cobra Kai is actually decent enough. It's something i watch now and then when there's nothing else. I like its overall vibe more than i perhaps like something specific, like an actor or the plot.

Is "The 100's" worth watching? I watched a few episodes of S1 when the series was new, seemed like a nice Fallout'ish series.. didn't continue to watch, probably something more interesting came along and i forgot about it.

Is "The 100's" worth watching? I watched a few episodes of S1 when the series was new, seemed like a nice Fallout'ish series.. didn't continue to watch, probably something more interesting came along and i forgot about it.
A few of us already mentioned it. No, it's no Fallout. And not just because there are no vertibirds. :)

It's pretending to be sci fi show but it's not, it's fantasy.
So before watching, just forget science has something with it, it doesn't.

In each season we're following a bunch of people, who approach a problem from opposite angles so they polarize into two groups. But then something bigger happens that forces them to forget differences and work together.
Of course it's not only that, but that's the irrelevant moral of the story, what you'll be following is different characters who are desperately trying to earn some love or hate from you. :)

Dunno if CW deliberately wanted to make a guilty pleasure show, but they nailed it in this one. During every episode, just like me, you'll think cmon that's rubbish, yet you won't be stopping, eager to see what will happen next.

The 100 won't be moving any mountains when it comes to tv series evolution, but at the same time it's more fun than numerous overrated and overhyped junk (for example Altered Carbon ;)).
I say go for it.

By about season 3 you'll realize that's its the same thing - there's a lot of complaining and the show really hasn't evolved. There's just more and more complaining - and dieing - with so much killing of each other a world like this can't sustain itself. Then there's more complaining. On and on it drags. We were done by 4th season - probably 1 season too late.
---
I started watching Titans when I was in Canada. A Netflix Original it promoted itself as for some reason. I am shocked to say that is the best DC superheroes show so far. The production values are certainly higher than anything CBS or CW has done.

Starfire is really against type (she's sophisticated instead of naive) and it surprisingly works - this usually doesn't when the writers think they are above the material. They don't in this case - they seem to want to do something really interesting with her which is how these things evolve for the better.

The Robin is not angsty but a new twist on the "I need to get out of Batman's shadow" that Marv Wolfman wrote about briefly in the 80's in a "I don't like what I've become" and "I don't trust myself with others as I'm a bad influence" twist on the lone wolf angsty trope which betrays Robin's traditional natural leadership. Ironically, he's a better Stephen Amell Green Arrow.

Its not without its problems though
Things are happening way too fast
Starfire - amnesia? Seriously. Amnesia?
They just happened to meet Beast Boy/Changeling at a roller rink which just happened to be near the Doom Patrol mansion. Coincidence is worst than, and more overdone than amnesia.
There's too much focus on Raven - every episode is about her. It is a good twist on her story and how the character has evolved over the years though - becoming a goth chick. The original direct sales story was overdone and the weeboo anime was underdone. Here she's more like Dark Phoenix.

I'm glad there's going to be something Donna Troy and it looks like there's a backstory there we're going to discover. Something happened with her and Robin - the comics always had them as a sort spiritual brother and sister - what happened should be really interesting. The comics have really gone off the wall with her so let's hope she goes back to her original retcon.

I miss cyborg though, as I've always missed kid flash, wonder girl, speedy and aqualad. Very much doubt we'll see girl speedy, arsenal, or kid flash from other series though as they'll tag a lot of baggage and have been unreliable as actors. Bat Girl will possibly show in the other series if it lasts two seasons but won't likely show here. Lilith, Gnark, Malcolm and Bumblebee will likely show in a guest spot where people will say who dat like they do now with Hawk and Dove. Golden Eagle will be completely absent as will Jericho - though he might do better on tv then he did in the comics. How did Slade Wilson have so many kids anyway?

I disagree, having read the comments around here now, they are all very mild if not outright positive on the final season of GoT. With some exceptions of course.

Going to YT fishing for positive videos on the show last season is going to be severely harder than fishing for negative videos.

This show was a cultural phenomenon, people quit their daily job to turn full time reading books, watching episodes and making money off spinning weirder and weirdest thesis in high view YT videos.

Before that season, video makers were overwhelming positive about that show, was the best show even done.

Last season, negativity is the word of the day. Millions of views made by guys who spit on the last season.

Mention to that vid from a guy who supposedly never made a video before but felt so grieved about the poor quality of the show last season he had to make one.

The show was going downhill long before the most recent series. It was quite obvious that the creators had run out of written script, and just couldn't keep up the quality on their own. Most of the folks I discuss the show with agree the slide started late in the fourth series, and the decline just got steadily worse. I'm not sure what you mean about people quitting their careers/jobs for, as reading a novel or watching a show doesn't really take up that much time.

I've been re-watching the Deadwood show just to have something positive to view. I suspect the movie Friday night will be well worth watching!

I started watching Titans when I was in Canada. A Netflix Original it promoted itself as for some reason. I am shocked to say that is the best DC superheroes show so far.
+1
Except "The Sorrows of Young Werther" filler episode with certain character ending in the hospital. Without that whinery it would most probably cause me to say - mustwatch. Here's hope they won't repeat something like that in the future.
You're nitpicking it too much however. :p
This show was a cultural phenomenon, people quit their daily job to turn full time reading books, watching episodes and making money off spinning weirder and weirdest thesis in high view YT videos.
Phenomenon it was but not what you're saying. Noone quit their job over it - if it wasn't possible to watch it for some at certain time, they turned to shady sources. And there were millions. Which means, streaming needs to evolve some more.
The second reason why it's phenomenon is it's genre. Fantasy. Decisionmakers aka CEOs never thought fantasy can become mainstream. Well, it did. All it needed is a story not written for brain impaired. Hollywood covered that and more in last 100 years, people needed something smarter.

I'm utterly disappointed with the way game of thrones ended. like they can't even write a proper screenplay without original authors books. it felt rushed, pacing was gone, seriously, no matter how much money they throw at CGI it can never compete with previous seasons which actually were well written.

I'm utterly disappointed with the way game of thrones ended. like they can't even write a proper screenplay without original authors books. it felt rushed, pacing was gone, seriously, no matter how much money they throw at CGI it can never compete with previous seasons which actually were well written.

Just as long as you realise your own complicity in the problem then everything's fine.

As a fan of the show, as most of us were/are, we demand the series to go on. And even to come to a conclusion at some satisfactory point. Once we were all addicted we became the main problem with the show, like a bunch of heroin addicts who demanded more than the supplier had in stock, thereby necessitating the watering down of the product to stretch it to everyone.

I mean, how would the fanbase react if the production company just said "well, that's a wrap for now, we can't do any more until George does his next book"? We know how they reacted, they started giving George loads of shit, like psychopathy levels of shit. Just as the fanbase gave Arthur Conan Doyle psychopathy levels of shit when he killed off Sherlock Holmes (including death threats).

On top of that you have such practical concerns as actor and production team contracts to consider. It's all very well saying "Let's hold off until the next book", but what are the actors and production team supposed to do in the mean time? Refuse all other forms of work and competing contracts? Just from this practical perspective the show had to go on in a sub-par way or just cancel the series mid-plot.

If you ask me, the final season is therefore perfect. It wraps everything up as neatly
as it can by giving everyone the closure they vociferously demanded, while at the same time being just about crap enough and disappointing enough for even the biggest fans to say "well, that's a good place to stop". No great harm was done and no-one is going to have to worry about studio execs or rabid fans calling them up and demand they make series 9 "Like, get on with it, I can't live without it maaaan" etc.

Most series end on a bit of a bum note, even the great ones. Even Deadwood that carnifex mentioned earlier, fucking appallingly tedious last seaon to end it. And no-one minds. Because, at some point, everyone has to move on. Not just us, but everyone involved in the show as well. And the best way for that to happen for everyone concerned is if the last season is a bit shit, but not entirly irredeemably so.

Started supernatural season 14 back up again. It has some nice entertaining episodes, but it became too much drama for my taste over time. This started like 4-5 seasons ago. It was ok at the time - if it would only have been one season - but now it gets really irritating. Mostly because they just keep dragging on about the same thing over and over and over again. I just kept on hoping for more lighthearted episodes to offset all that stuff.

Good thing it will end after this season (or was it season 15?).

Back
Top Bottom