NHL Playoffs 2015 edition

Well, when is the last time that Toronto or Montreal got a superstar player? There's a reason they elude them.

Imagine you're the new Mario Lemieux. You have the choice of going to Texas where you will be taxed at I don't know, 30%, or to go to Montreal, where you will pay more than 60%. Which will you choose?

Montreal is likely the coolest hockey town on earth! That should count something! :)

For the record there are very few superstar in hockey. It is a complete team sport, look how many cups the pittsburgh penguins have won with the best player right now in the game. ONE!!!

Imagine you're the new Mario Lemieux. You have the choice of going to Texas where you will be taxed at I don't know, 30%, or to go to Montreal, where you will pay more than 60%. Which will you choose?

Now trust me when I say this I am not a sports lawyer but if you want me to break it right down I most likely could do all the research on taxes and sports.

Any NHL sports team plays 41 games at home that counts on their contract which they pay taxes to that city. The other 41 games can be broke down to the cities they played in that year and or the city that they live in.

Please don't quote me on this break down but that is in very simple terms. As for pay for playoffs I am not sure the break down of that.

The pay for playoff games is chump change for most of those guys. IIRC, it's something like $25k per round.

The pay for playoff games is chump change for most of those guys. IIRC, it's something like $25k per round.

I play poker with a few of my customers once an awhile and one of the guys is a best friends of Bryan Bickell of the Black Hawks.

Anyways he invited me to a poker game at his cottage last summer and I laughed. "What I go up and play a few hands and have spend all the money my wife let me take and drink beer for two days."

No matter what taxes they pay they make good money PERIOD!

As an ex-pat Canadian I've started taking an outside view and starting to get sick of the commentary that somehow Americans are ruining "our game". For example, I honestly think having a franchise in Winnipeg is a bad idea. Do you honestly expect that team to survive? There were huge problems with players not wanting to go there and especially to QC.

Canada as a market is saturated with teams. In fact, as a market it divides itself into a few American properties. I know a few Boston, Detroit and Chicago fans that live in Canada.

Whereas, in say here in California, hockey (as a market) has become so popular that two of our ECHL teams have moved to the AHL and they are launching two more AHL teams.

Another note on the cap, with the stupid OT Loss = 1 pt rule, Bettman has created huge parity in the league. Anyone team has a chance now (IMO making the game a lot less interesting).

So, its certainly going to be Anaheim vs Chicago for the Conference. And I think Washington over the Rangers.

I'd like to see Washington and Anaheim in the finals, over my shear hatred of Cow and Sausage towns. I'd love to see Ovechkin get a cup finally.

As an ex-pat Canadian I've started taking an outside view and starting to get sick of the commentary that somehow Americans are ruining "our game". For example, I honestly think having a franchise in Winnipeg is a bad idea. Do you honestly expect that team to survive? There were huge problems with players not wanting to go there and especially to QC.

Canada as a market is saturated with teams. In fact, as a market it divides itself into a few American properties. I know a few Boston, Detroit and Chicago fans that live in Canada.

Whereas, in say here in California, hockey (as a market) has become so popular that two of our ECHL teams have moved to the AHL and they are launching two more AHL teams.

You are welcome to your thoughts to the above though they are not based on facts.

I have no idea what you are talking about.

I have no idea what you are talking about.

I honestly think having a franchise in Winnipeg is a bad idea. Do you honestly expect that team to survive?

Yes!!! and it is a strong franchise with a strong fan base.

There were huge problems with players not wanting to go there and especially to QC.
What facts do you have to back this up as it is one of the most story teams in the NHL. There is talk of putting another team in Quebec City.

Canada as a market is saturated with teams
I have no idea where you get this stat. Toronto alone could sell out two teams nightly.

QC had a team years ago, the Nordiques. They no longer exist as such. Canada has always struggled to compete on a level playing field with the US, especially with salaries since the $C is usually worth less than the $A. The other problem with places like QC is the language barrier. How many Americans, for example, speak fluent French? The last time I visited Quebec, I had a hard time finding anyone who was willing to speak English without a great deal of hassle. Just not worth it!!

Last edited:
I not only have children in hockey played hockey but live in a city that has had more JR players play here and make the NHL than any other city in the world. I also for the last 20 years of being on the road listen to sports radio for almost 8 hours a day, 5 days a week for 20 years.

Though I will stay out of this subject as I have posted facts and just might know a little about this subject.

Edit my parents still have 8mm film of one of the best Montreal players and GM teaching me to skate in my back yard in the early 70's and no I am not from Quebec.

The other problem with places like QC is the language barrier. How many Americans, for example, speak fluent French? The last time I visited Quebec, I had a hard time finding anyone who was willing to speak English without a great deal of hassle. Just not worth it!!

I don't see how that's a problem considering that there are more Canadian players in the NHL than American. :)

I don't see how that's a problem considering that there are more Canadian players in the NHL than American. :)

These players go play for American clubs to pay less taxes.

I grew up in Canada, and not only do I not speak fluent French, but the French they taught me in school is NOT what they speak in Quebec. When I tried my high school French, I got laughed at!! :(

These players go play for American clubs to pay less taxes.

You might be right about the impact of taxes ... just not about WHERE players are going ...

From a tax standpoint, U.S. states are becoming less competitive compared to Canadian provinces: Six of the seven Canadian teams went up in the rankings between 2012 and 2014. Interestingly, Alberta’s combined federal and provincial taxes are now lower than the states that have no state income taxes. Of the 23 American teams, 21 of them fell in the rankings of best places to play between 2012 and 2014. Florida, Tampa Bay, Dallas, and Nashville fell from the top spot in 2012 to third best locations in 2014 to play from an income tax standpoint.

And

The “disparities” in tax rates do vary widely among the states and provinces where NHL teams are located. For example, in 2013-14, the NHL’s pay cap was $12.8 million. After a player paid at that rate subtracts taxes, take-home pay could vary from $5.8 million in California to $7.8 million in Alberta.

“Is living in California worth a $2 million dollar pay cut?” the report asked.

It's very misleading to present the taxes of Alberta on equal footing with the other provinces. Alberta is the province with the lowest taxes by far due to all the money made on tar sand oils. It is equivalent to a state like Texas or Tennessee in this regard.

The other provinces like Quebec and Ontario are higher than any US state, there is no comparison.

aaaaaaaaaaaand the Rangers are out. Woohoo!!!

Well looks like my home team won again. Congratulations Chicago Blackhawks.:celebrate:

Back
Top Bottom