Mortal Shell - Beta Impressions

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Way Too Many Games share their impressions about the beta for Mortal Shell.

The brief tutorial area takes you through three quick battles that introduce the Hardening mechanic and give players a bit of practice before the beta demo opens up into the larger arena. A hooded knight is the first enemy that takes aim at you, swinging a two handed broadsword toward you, and a pop up instructs you to hold the left trigger down to Harden. At first I giggled a bit, thinking about the famously useless Metapod Harden ability from Pokemon, but I obliged. My character immediately turned to stone and froze in place, but took no damage when the knight's broadsword collided with me.

I immediately changed my attitude toward Harden and took a few swings at the knight. After a few successful blows, he withdrew his weapon, faded into the shallow pool below, and then the next gate opened. I proceeded down the road expecting another tutorial prompt and was met with just that.

This time I was greeted with a statue holding a broadsword similar to the one that was previously used against me. Approaching the statue, I picked up the sword and a new knight appeared. This time the game prompted me to Harden mid-attack. I expected to see an over-the-top animated special attack, but instead froze mid-swing. When the knight attacked me and made contact, it broke the Harden and immediately completed my broadsword's arc landing a surprise counter-attack. For the second time in the first few minutes of the tutorial Mortal Shell showed me that I underestimated how clever it was.

[...]
Thanks Farflame!

More information.

There's some talent in the art direction. Maybe a bit too Dark Souls, but it does look a cut above mediocrities like Hellpoint.

Yeah, the art direction does stand out. It strikes me as Dark Souls with a dash of Dead Space.

I've never heard of the developer, but this looks like it's at least worth keeping an eye on.

Finished the beta twice and it was a pleasure to play. The atmosphere and the world building is excellent - you feel it is a living world that you are trespassing. The art and sound are also well done. I enjoyed the combat even more and its mechanics require strategic thinking.

Make no mistake, it is still hard like Dark Souls and you will die a lot, but the gameplay mechanics are different and more related to action adventure games of the past. In particular gone is the min-maxing nightmare that I used to have with dark souls (searching for the next 0.1 damage weapon that is countered by the nice and shiny armour that you just found), and replaced by shells with varying set of attributes (stamina and health mainly in the beta) with distinct perk to each of the shells you apply when you level up to suit your playstyle.

Even though there are limited number of weapons (at least in the beta), they can be upgraded/enhanced using upgrade tables with crafting items. You also need to learn about the purpose of items you find in the world through repeated use.

Absolutely looking forward to this.

I'm probably missing out on good games as I don't enjoy Dark Soul clones, and it feels like the 90's all over again with all the Diablo clones. Anyway I'm happy for those that do.

I played the beta and it will be a serious combatant in Souls arena when it will be released. That's for sure.

Back
Top Bottom