Wasteland 2 - Update #13: Less than 40 hours left...

woges

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor
With < 40hrs for Wasteland 2's Kickstarter to go Brian Fargo writes another update with news of an updated $30 tier.
... we have spent some time thinking about and asking fans what we could put into the $30 tier to make it more interesting and to not disrupt what has already been offered. I think we have come up with an interesting list that may persuade a few people to upgrade. Based on your top requests and a forum poll we now offer the following as part of the $30 tier:
  • An extra digital download of the game in any format. Many people wanted to be able to get a Mac AND a PC version, or PC and Linux, or even an extra PC version for a friend. Now you can.
  • Access to a collection of exclusive Ranger portraits that will double the pool of character portraits you have to choose from at the start of the game when you are rolling up your Rangers. This unique image collection will not only give you more Ranger portraits, but more Ranger icons used to display your party location on the world map.
  • Access to a four-episode Video Development Blog that will show you an exclusive behind-the-scenes look at the design and development of Wasteland 2. Sit in on designer meetings and art-review meetings to see the process behind how the game is made. See interviews with Brian Fargo, Chris Avellone, Mike Stackpole, Alan Pavlish, and the rest of the development team as they explain to you what they are doing and why they are doing it.
  • A novella by Chris Avellone based on the universe of Wasteland.
Of course, all backers who are in at higher levels will also get all of these added items too.
Also we will have a live streaming party on Monday night (16th) from 10pm-12am EDT to celebrate the green light of production on the game. Our Kickstarter does not close until 5am the next morning, but we wanted to get some of our friends and family together to celebrate this little bit of history and share it with you. On attendance will be Nolan Bushnell the founder of Atari, Chris Avellone and a few other surprise guests. We will be answering questions received through live chat on the TwitchTV stream as well as from Facebook fans. I will tweet the URL Monday afternoon as well as post it here on Kickstarter.
Thanks again for all the support and faith....
Brian Fargo
More information.

:help: If you loved Wasteland, Fallout 1-2, or Planescape Torment
or any 2D tactical, turn-based rpg… YOU MUST support this game!! :thumbsup:
:deal: Only $15 for a download, or $50 for a boxed copy of Wasteland 2 with a cloth map!
But this deal won't last long… in 33 hours it'll be history!

This experienced team is overflowing with industry vets… Here are a few:

:spotlight-left: Brian Fargo :spotlight-right: - founder of Interplay & inXile - designed or produced: Bard's Tale, Baldur's Gate, Fallout, and of course Wasteland (Fallout 0).

:spotlight-left: Chris Avellone :spotlight-right: - Game designer - Planescape Torment, Fallout 2, Fallout New Vegas, Icewind Dale 1-2, Champions of Norrath, Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance, Neverwinter Nights 2, and KotOR 2.

:spotlight-left: Mark Morgan :spotlight-right: - Music composer - Fallout 1-2 & NewVegas, Planescape Torment.

:spotlight-left: Alan Pavlish :spotlight-right: - Programmer/Designer - Wasteland, Descent 1-3, Battle Chess, Star Trek: 25th Anniversary, Stonekeep, Carmageddon 1-2, and way back when you were in diapers, Galaxian.

:spotlight-left: Mike Stackpole :spotlight-right: - Game Designer/Writer - Wasteland, Bard's Tale III, Star Trek: 25th Anniversary & Judgement Rites. Also, the author of many Star Wars and Battletech books.

:spotlight-left: Jason Anderson :spotlight-right: - Artist/Game Designer/Writer - Designed Fallout's engine, interface, and game world.

Last edited:
Gave $150. They BETTER make a huge world with non-linearity, filled with quests and factions and places to explore or I'm driving out to California and demanding my money back :)

I played Wasteland on a Commodore 64 the year it came out (I was in college, sigh).

:)

I am $250 in since first day....

Nice job Vindicator. i purchased the 50 pack and donated another 25 and requested nothing in return. This game sounds amazing and the concept art looks incredible.This is what we asked for ,screw the big publishers.Like i said all the commercial game sites dont even mention a word about this project ! I beleive the project will inspire Chris to do a spin off foe Planscape.Im actually more excited for Shadowrun Return .The lore is just so uniqe. Im going to give much before the pledge is up.I beleive the guys creating Shadowrun will do the right thing about the DLC drama.

Well I didn't give $150, but I think it's kind of cheap to give people who paid for the game only half the available portraits. That kind of micromanagement sounds a lot like DLC.

i am more interested in developer updates versus war drumming for (more) cash.

I agree that Fargo went wayyy overboard with his boosting. If they could make the game with $1million, I don't think $2million means we're going to get twice the game. On the other hand, everyone is new to the Kickstarter funding model so you have to give him some slack.

I agree that Fargo went wayyy overboard with his boosting. If they could make the game with $1million, I don't think $2million means we're going to get twice the game. On the other hand, everyone is new to the Kickstarter funding model so you have to give him some slack.

Engine development (or the learning curve to use an existing one) probably is going to suck up a mostly-flat chunck of cash per employee while development time scales linearly. It does mean we will be getting somewhere close to twice the man-hours spent developing the game (very roughly) but yeah its hard to map that directly to content production because the complexity of the content along with the amount of it in total (as they have said it will be non-linear) will have a geometric relationship with the amount of time and effort that will be needed for (proper & thorough) quality assurance as well.

Anyways, the extra budget does at least offer a buffer against cost overruns and unforseen obstacles that are almost inevitable in this sort of project. So I see it more as "the more funding, the more likely it will be to actually get made and be worthwhile" rather than "more money = proportionally more game." So yeah I agree with you on that one.

I am $250 in since first day….

Not to be outdone, I increased my pledge to $250 as well.
I have a feeling an unopened signed collector’s edition will be a good investment.

Now back to drawing my Grimrock maps...

Last edited:
T minus 14 hours. Somehow I don't think they'll reach 3 million, but who knows? Finally contributed myself.

They're going to get pretty close to 3 million (adding in Paypal). Also, over the past two months kickstarter's share of pledges looks to be in the neighborhood of their entire first 2 years of shares combined. I wish I owned a stake in that company - wow.

They're going at about a rate of 100 dollars a minute - though it is likely to change as different time zones go to sleep and others wake up. But at the current rate they'd end just about 60k short of 3 million (kickstarter and paypal combined.) Since that rate is going to fluctuate like crazy, this is just a rougher-than-rough guess though. Still, it's going to be really close. Hope they make it - for the sake of more funding but also because "over 3 million" will probably generate more coverage and find itself in more headlines than "just shy of 3 million."

EDIT: Err it's picked up a little bit, still going to be close but over 3 million is looking more and more likely.

Last edited:
Well, at least we know our hard earned cash didn't go for some wild launch party. :(

+1 Chris Avellone for playing Legend of Grimrock.

I've learned more about Pong than I ever wanted to know.

The last time I saw a party this dead I had to reload.

Ugh… 50 minutes in… they've forgotten about us… Watching paint dry is more fun…. time to tune out.

Note to Harebrained Schemes - There's a lesson here… Leave your family at home… your Shadowrun Returns launch party must have booze and strippers! The fans watching at home deserve no less!

Last edited:
Well Brian Fargo said that they start working tomorrow, so maybe they were just keeping it tame enough so they can make it to the office by 8 AM...

Looking forward to seeing how the project turns out!

Yeah they probably should have handled it a little more like the double-fine people did. They also managed to raise somewhere around 400k during their live stream because they were willing to take dares for cash - whether they really needed the money or not it made the live-stream a heck of a lot more entertaining. BF said their families would be there so I guess it would have made sense to expect a less crazy party. Oh well.

Yeah, those Double Fine characters are pretty good with crowds.

It will be interesting to see if it can hit the $3M mark now. We're getting into the wee hours in the US, so donations will be limited to the night owls and the overseas market. It needs about $55,000 with 7 hours still left. I will have to wait until the morning to see if it makes it.

getting into the wee hours in the US, so donations will be limited to the night owls and the overseas market. It needs about $55,000 with 7 hours still left. I will have to wait until the morning to see if it makes it.

How fortunate that "the overseas" market is several times larger than yours.

Last edited:
They are up to 2.96 million combined paypal+kickstarter. 3 mil is starting to look likely.

Back
Top Bottom