Kingdom Come - The Good, the Bad, and the So So

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
techquila wrote about Kingdom Come: Deliverance describing where it went good and where it went bad.

Kingdom Come Deliverance: The Baaad

Henry is sad. He’s a badass now…but there are no bad guys left

Speaking of a hurried release, the game was plagued by technical issues at launch, but a lot of them have been ironed out. Unfortunately despite Warhorse’s earnest efforts, there are still a lot of bugs and clipping issues. The lip sync is way off, the AI of the characters is Skyrim bad and they get stuck every now and then.

Even the combat at times is marred by bugs. The player will randomly get stuck, or your foes will teleport, or lay motionless on the ground while you hear them taunting you. Reloading an older save often fixes this but it still makes the whole experience bitter.

Lack of content is a major bummer in Kingdom Come Deliverance. It takes a while (and I really mean a long while) to adapt to the harsh mechanics of the game, but by the time you get used to them most of the main story and enjoyable side quests are over. This leaves the player with activities that are essentially fetch quests. These are more or less randomly generated and are a bore.

[...]
Thanks Farflame!

More information.

didnt play yet. Is the game really lacking quests with out balls ?

didnt play yet. Is the game really lacking quests with out balls ?
Well the main quests follow a certain path, but the rest like the article says are mostly fetch quests. You also get the assassinate bandits and such like every other RPG game.

Also don't get me started on the amount of bugs, but they do patch the game. As you can guess this also breaks the game by introducing more bugs they have to fix.

Bottom line is they ran out of funds and released to early. Now if you can look past all this the game is essentially a flawed gem you might enjoy. Just wait for a sale.

Is the game really lacking quests with out balls ?
No. I'm not sure what game did that techquila play, but that game is not KCD.
Well the main quests follow a certain path, but the rest like the article says are mostly fetch quests.
No. I mean, yes, in a sidequest you'll go "fetch" a bottle of wine from a cellar, but there is a whole lot of story and humor behind it for example. There is kill dozens of rabbits for sakes of grind like in Dragon Dogma sidequest, but cmon, we know who is that rubbish for and why is it in the game. While those "pro" reviewers will adore rabbit kills like in overrated Dragon Dogma, you'll skippit.
Also don't get me started on the amount of bugs, but they do patch the game. As you can guess this also breaks the game by introducing more bugs they have to fix.

Bottom line is they ran out of funds and released to early. Now if you can look past all this the game is essentially a flawed gem you might enjoy. Just wait for a sale.
Yes.
If we voted today, regardless of those bugs, KCD would be my GOTY. There are more upcoming games in this year and it's still possible another title would be better, but IMO the game outclasses both "usual suspects" NNK2 or FF15.

Last edited:
Don't know what game you played Joxer but once you finish the main quest line it stagnant's. Whats left is fetch quests, bounty's, and other usual RPG quests.

Anyway I like playing it but I hated travailing to point A and B halfway across the map to finish a random quest. It's still a good game but I'm very picky lately playing RPGs.

I like to call it Bethesda fatigue as I played to much Fallout & Skyrim lately.

Whatever, I finished the main quest line only after I was done with all sides (that were finishable as some were broken).
Rushing the main quest to the end and ignoring everything else is IGN style, not mine.

Does it still need more patching. Yes I know from Joxer it is playable but is it pretty clean now or still worth waiting a bit ?
Still needs patching as Daniel Vávra admitted this after patch 1.4.3. As I said above each patch released keeps breaking the game so hot-fixes are needed after patching.
At the Reboot Develop, Daniel Vávra, the medieval RPG’s director, said the following:"We change one quest and it somehow f*cks up another quest. To test it properly you would have to play it for 600 hours. After release, we saw bugs we’ve never seen.”
This is why you don't see many huge open world RPGs.

It's playable and finishable but there are still questbreaking bugs inside it. Some bugs have workarounds, but some don't. Currently, assuming you don't work for IGN, it's not possible to finish all existing quests and even those you can finish require taking a certain path and not some other (all quests are supposed to be possible to solve in different ways, some paths bug 'em though).

Also, the dog and some more stuff are supposed to get added.
I'm waiting for at least 1.5 to replay it.

thank you Couchpotato and Joxer for your opinions. Good enough for me to play this game.

Good enough for me to play this game.

Wait for another patch or two and a sale. If you have at least a passing interest in ARPGS and aren't put off too much by things like feeding yourself and bathing for the sake of realism (they don't take very long to do), you aren't likely to regret it. Like Joxer, this is my GotY so far, and I don't even like ARPGS all that much these days. :)

Yes, this first version seems to be held together with paper clips and duct tape, but it seems to have been a decent success. I'm hoping they keep refining it, and deliver something even better as a sequel. The advantage of the Cryengine base is that they can just keep iterating from this engine, and quite easily stay cutting edge.

I'm currently playing it and it's fun (though so far I've managed to avoid most fighting as I suck at melee combat). I found one bug I managed to avoid, but for a game where you can't save at will (unless you spend a bunch of money on the diarrhea potions), I fear the moment I find a bug that makes me lose an hour or more of played game it's return time for me.

This was a 'wait' for me when it was announced, and an 'unlikely' now with the issues.

Good news is I just started Elex, and I never thought that would happen, so there's that.

I read on the internet that this game is for nazis.

I read on the internet that this game is for nazis.

So I think I am a nazi… :)

KCD is my game of the year.

Finished it, had very few bugs, no plot stoppers.

Really enjoyed it, and I played hundreds CRPGs (literally)

I wouldn't say that there is not enough sidequests. Maybe people just expect a game where the main story just makes 10% of the game, which isn't the case in Kingdom, where the main quest actually makes about 50% of all quests in the game.

There are also 2 kinds of sidequests. Some which are somewhat good, but mostly had an somewhat unsatisfying ending. And some, like hunting deer or killing bandits which are pure "grind" quests, which are neither any interesting nor any rewarding. I recommend to just skip the latter.

I've started it some days ago and I'm now about 15 hours in. Really enjoying it so far.

Back
Top Bottom