What games are you playing now?

Just avoid grinding!
Some mobs are not skippable, those you can outrun, do it.

Any settings / fan patches or mods that I should install?

I am having some issues with being stuck between NPC's and unable to move... have to reload, also the game crashed on me. Also I am going nuts with the camera rotation... sometimes I don't even know what direction I am going....

Apart from obviously playing FO4 - I've played quite a lot of ESO with the GF.

After playing it with her, I'm reminded of why I originally loved it. The amount of content is almost absurd, considering the rather generous business model, and they've added quite a bit of significant stuff since release. The recent Orsinium DLC pack is just about the most impressive piece of non-expansion content for any MMO I've played - and I've played more than most.

Also, they've polished it up nicely and it's definitely my favorite MMO at this point in time.

Any settings / fan patches or mods that I should install?

I am having some issues with being stuck between NPC's and unable to move… have to reload, also the game crashed on me. Also I am going nuts with the camera rotation… sometimes I don't even know what direction I am going….

Not that I know of.
The game worked on my side without a glitch.

Apart from obviously playing FO4 - I've played quite a lot of ESO with the GF.

After playing it with her, I'm reminded of why I originally loved it. The amount of content is almost absurd, considering the rather generous business model, and they've added quite a bit of significant stuff since release. The recent Orsinium DLC pack is just about the most impressive piece of non-expansion content for any MMO I've played - and I've played more than most.

Also, they've polished it up nicely and it's definitely my favorite MMO at this point in time.

Euro server? Ah well...

Morning all, just signed up so thought I'd say hello.

Just playing through Lost Odyssey, on the 3rd CD and really enjoying it. Also have just started Risen 3. I absolutely loved Risen 2, very funny and absorbing despite it's flaws.

Ah! Nice to see another Lost Odyssey fan. I can't wait until Xbox 360 emulation happens so I can replay that game. What a brilliant gem, that one.

Blue Dragon is good, too. Very good, actually. Enchanted Arms is another 360 exclusive that features a tactical combat system that is a lot of fun to play. Have you played either of these?

Risen 2 was great, too. I prefer the first Risen overall but Risen 2 is much better than I expected. Great game. :)

Blue Dragon is good, too. Very good, actually. Enchanted Arms is another 360 exclusive that features a tactical combat system that is a lot of fun to play. Have you played either of these?
I played Enchanted Arms in my PS3, so if it was exclusive at one point, it isn't anymore (wish I could say the same thing about Lost Odyssey).

I played Enchanted Arms in my PS3, so if it was exclusive at one point, it isn't anymore (wish I could say the same thing about Lost Odyssey).

Right.

What did you think of Enchanted Arms? I really enjoyed the combat system and the collecting of various monsters to use in battle. The story also was quite interesting and I felt the atmosphere and mood of the game were done very well.

I'm currently playing Paper Sorcerer. I'm kind-of enjoying it and kind-of bored by it. In my first binge I completed the first 4 levels, thinking that was the end of the game after the lady telling me I needed to cut 4 bindings or something or other combined with 4 levels feeling like I'd seen everything the game had to offer. However, looking on-line at a review I saw it went on to 10 levels.

The second binge I completed levels 5-7 and in my third binge I completed levels 8-9, so just the last level to go, each binge mimicking my gradual declining interest by one level per binge. However, when I'm away from the game I'm still motivated to play-on and look forward to my next binge, even if during each binge the motivation ends quicker each time.

Most of this can be put down to me playing on easy. I'm not really playing it as much as casing the joint, mapping everything out so that when I switch to 80s difficulty I don't get derailed by some obnoxious element that derives from lack of experience rather than actual gameplay (such as wasting my Silver Key ;) ). So I'm just going through the motions really, not doing any Catacombs bar the first two levels, which probably explains a lot. I'm really looking forward to finishing level 10 so that I can spend the next 6 months gradually chipping away at 80s difficulty, with half a level amounting to a full binge session. Whether that turns out to be as fun as I imagine I shall wait and see.

Started with SW:TOR again after the release of the latest expansion. Still a fun game to play once in a while. Also trying to put the Uruk's in their proper place in Shadow of Mordor :)

Played through all the Age of Wonders III and expansions campaigns.

Sony just released the SNES Classic Super Star Wars ... I grabbed it on the PS Vita for way too much ($9.99) but am having some retro fun ...

Sony just released the SNES Classic Super Star Wars … I grabbed it on the PS Vita for way too much ($9.99) but am having some retro fun …

Ah I remember that one. :) Iirc, they released two sequels on the SNES.

I'm still playing FO4 of course, and I just received my Steam key for Hard West. I'll post some impressions later if I have time to try it.

Ah I remember that one. :) Iirc, they released two sequels on the SNES.

I'm still playing FO4 of course, and I just received my Steam key for Hard West. I'll post some impressions later if I have time to try it.

Yeah - still playing FO4 as well. :)

As I have said before, one thing I like about handheld game systems is it allows me a window into the console world I never touched (and still don't - the X360 hasn't been touched since my son left for college :) ). So I never played these on SNES (or had any Nintendo systems until we bought 'Cube & Wii for the kids), and it is now fun goingn back.

I'm in a bit of a gaming funk at the moment. I'm still, surprisingly, going strong in Secret World, having just finished up the original content. I may start dabbling with a new character and see what the Dragon faction's like.

Other than that, I'm floundering a bit. My PC is too old to run FO4, and it'll be over a year before I'm in a position to change that, so I reinstalled FO3 to get some post-apocalyptic scavving in, but it's lost a lot of its charm over the years and I'm not sure how long it'll hold me.

I've got a lot of heavy brain work coming up soon and I really need something that's easy to pick up and play around in without having to devote a lot of mental energy to.

I'm in a bit of a gaming funk at the moment. I'm still, surprisingly, going strong in Secret World, having just finished up the original content. I may start dabbling with a new character and see what the Dragon faction's like.

Other than that, I'm floundering a bit. My PC is too old to run FO4, and it'll be over a year before I'm in a position to change that, so I reinstalled FO3 to get some post-apocalyptic scavving in, but it's lost a lot of its charm over the years and I'm not sure how long it'll hold me.

I've got a lot of heavy brain work coming up soon and I really need something that's easy to pick up and play around in without having to devote a lot of mental energy to.

FYI:

The amount of faction-specific content in Secret World is pretty minimal beyond the starting areas and some minor differences during story quests, IIRC. There's some, but not at all what one might expect.

Just in case you don't already know.

FYI:

The amount of faction-specific content in Secret World is pretty minimal beyond the starting areas and some minor differences during story quests, IIRC. There's some, but not at all what one might expect.

Just in case you don't already know.

Yeah, I know, and I know my handler won't be nearly as much fun as the Illuminati one, but it's the one faction I've not seen any of. Plus, it'll give me a chance to play around with a different set of weapons. I can do that now, since I've got most weapons reasonably unlocked with this character, but it's not the same as building up from scratch with a new one. I doubt I'd play much beyond Kingsmouth in any case.

From what I can gather from the last few months of lurking, you've basically described Sword Coast Legends. Or practically any game which has easy or storytelling difficulty settings.

Well, I started my '1980s' run of Paper Sorcerer and had my first binge and it's not really what I was expecting. The two first battles were really tough, I even needed Revive potions for the second one, but after that it all seemed to get very easy, until the end boss of the first stage, which was over-the-top hard, but I just managed to beat him first time, literally by the skin of my sorcerer's teeth, 2 out of my four characters left alive with under 30HP each.

And then it got easy again, all the way to the end-boss of stage 2. Well, Fighters were hard, until I had over 70 Defence per character, then they too became easy. But then that end-boss was brutal and my entire team died in about 4 turns. There could be many reasons for this, from character choices to character level to skill points to equipment, but at character level 10 it seems somewhat impossible, not just challengingly hard. And this brings me to my three main beefs with the game:

1. The phased combat is not at all helpful for applying heals and the like. At the beginning of the round I haven't a clue which of my characters is going to get hit the most and if my Cultist goes last I can't assign a heal in the first round but waiting until the last turn of the second round is waaay too down the line for anything approaching 'tactical' play. It's more finger's crossed reactionary play than forward planning. It has many options to force the enemy to attack one specific character, but I don't want one character to be wailed on, that's what I'm hoping they wont do.

2. The game doesn't give any indication of what's actually going on during combat. Again, its an awful lot of guesswork and finger's crossed. It says Defence is deducted before damage, but most of the time you'll get and give both damage and defence reduction at the same time, turn after turn. So how's it calculating that? Also, Resistances aren't statisised, so I have no idea how much Physical Resistance anyone has, whether the physical resistance spell is making much of a difference nor whether the purchased skills for this are either worth it or making a difference. Again, not really tactical decisions, but rather just finger's crossed decisions.

3. Like many of the 'casual' games that we mock the difficulty in this game seems to be entirely based on random spike damage and not a lot else, whether you're on easy difficulty or 1980s difficulty, the only real dangers are sudden influxes of ridiculously out of proportion spike damage and that this comes from a very small proportion of enemies to which it's either that or virtually no damage from very easy enemies. The kind of thing people complain about in Diablo-likes every day after a patch or expansion.

I have lots of other quibbles, mainly surrounding the awkward UI and lack of music options etc etc, but I could cope with all of those if the gameplay just felt more involving and understandable.

I've kind-of quit, but at the same time I want to experiment with some ways to see if I can beat this boss, it does at least have the challenge factor, which is always a strong motivator, but if the design of the game is a need to grind the respawning side-dungeons in order to manipulate character level rather than simply playing well at the correct character level then I doubt I'll be able to cope with grinding the game out, the main nonrespawning dungeons are grindy enough even without respawns.

From what I can gather from the last few months of lurking, you've basically described Sword Coast Legends. Or practically any game which has easy or storytelling difficulty settings.

Having just bought and started to play Sword Coast Legends, it wouldn't said that it fall into the "easy to pick up" category if you play the solo campaign. It's like if Pillars of Eternity, NWN and Dragon Age Origins had a baby and the AI isn't that smart (like my Cleric not using her heal off-cooldown to heal critically damaged party members, sometimes she do it, some times she doesn't).

Also, I'm starting to think that Unity is just bad at pathfinding too…

I like the game though, not as bad as some people made it out to be and I totally accepted it wasn't D&D before starting playing, so I was surprised to see it was more D&D than not.

Having just bought and started to play Sword Coast Legends, it wouldn't said that it fall into the "easy to pick up" category if you play the solo campaign.

It's waaaay too expensive for me to pick up right now. I think I'll wait for the inevitable Steam sale for that one.

I've decided to give Borderlands: the Pre-Sequel another shot as Claptrap (might as well embrace the crazy). It's suitably mindless and blasty.

Back
Top Bottom