What are you reading?

Before the Fall, by Noah Hawley. I've read one of his other books and I'm a huge fan of his tv work, so I was expecting a decent read with this one. It does not disappoint, from reading the book cover I had one idea about how this novel would go, and I was way off base. If thrillers are something you enjoy, this might be right up your alley.

I'll check this one out. Most of the fantasy genre stuff that gets mentioned on here doesn't do much for me - this looks more like my cup of tea.

I just started The Book of Words trilogy by J.V. Jones. I find she's one of the lesser known, highly underrated authors.

In the past, I was looking for some high quality fantasy after finishing what GRR Martin had finished up to that time with the Game of Thrones saga (this was long before HBO even knew what it was). I tried picking up Wheel of Time since everyone raves about it, and I couldn't make it past half the first book. I'm probably going to get flamed for saying it, but I found the writing much too amateur and characters too "fake".

Then I came across the Sword of Shadows series by J.V. Jones. She created a masterpiece of a fantasy world inspired by Vikings and Inuits, with excellent and very believable, lovable characters. She has yet to release the last 5th book, and has been silent for years, but according to TOR it supposed to be released soon. So instead of waiting, I decided to read this other Trilogy by her, which some say is not nearly as high quality and yet some even liked it more. So i'm trying it out.

Either way, I can't recommend The Sword of Shadows series highly enough to do justice.

If you're a Robin Hobb fan, this series might be for you too.

Read the Discworld City Watch books. I loved them, and I liked them a lot better than the other books (those with Mort and Granny and so on).

Then again, I'd read any City Watch book.

I love Pratchett. The Carpet People was the book that got me into reading Fantasy. Even if his quirky humor style is much different that my usual tastes. Though I shouldn't say quirky, as Douglas Adams and William Goldman have similar feels.

I tried picking up Wheel of Time since everyone raves about it, and I couldn't make it past half the first book. I'm probably going to get flamed for saying it, but I found the writing much too amateur and characters too "fake".
For what it's worth, I wasn't too thrilled about his first book either, because I found it too similar to all the other fantasy I knew back then. It soon expanded into it's own lush, fantastic world though. I'd say, like with Stevenson's Malazan Book of the Fallen, one should at least try and read the first two books before deciding to continue or give up.

Speaking of Malazan, I'm busy reading The Stonewielder by Esslemont. I like it well enough. In the grand scheme of things, it's book #11 of 16, when you read the novels of both authors concurrently. I'm skipping the novellas, because I find them too tangential.

Either way, I can't recommend The Sword of Shadows series highly enough to do justice.
Thanks. Will add to my list.

Last edited:
For what it's worth, I wasn't too thrilled about his first book either, because I found it too similar to all the other fantasy I knew back then. It soon expanded into it's own lush, fantastic world though. I'd say, like with the Stevenson's Malazan Book of the Fallen, one should at least try and read the first two books before deciding to continue or give up.

Speaking of Malazan, I'm busy reading The Stonewielder by Esslemont. I like it well enough. In the grand scheme of things, it's book #11 of 16, when you read the novels of both authors concurrently. I'm skipping the novellas, because I find them too tangential.

Funny you say that, as with Malazan, I actually liked Erikson's writing style and would consider him one of the better writers, but I didn't continue finishing the first book because at the time, his style of fantasy was almost too much (too fantasy-ish? too magic? not sure how to explain). Regardless, i've been told by many to get past the first book of both Malazan and Wheel of Time, so I haven't taken them off my list completely.

Funny you say that, as with Malazan, I actually liked Erikson's writing style and would consider him one of the better writers, but I didn't continue finishing the first book because at the time, his style of fantasy was almost too much (too fantasy-ish? too magic? not sure how to explain). Regardless, i've been told by many to get past the first book of both Malazan and Wheel of Time, so I haven't taken them off my list completely.

Yes, don't judge Wheel of Time by the first book. I actually by accident started on the second book, and it is already much better.

I have read a lot of Fantasy, and WOT is by far the best series ever IMHO, the reason is that RJ has really created a world in amazing detail. The characters is not necessarily his strongest suite, I always though they came out a little flat.

Funny you say that, as with Malazan, I actually liked Erikson's writing style and would consider him one of the better writers, but I didn't continue finishing the first book because at the time, his style of fantasy was almost too much (too fantasy-ish? too magic? not sure how to explain).
For reference, I gave the first book 3 stars. I didn't care much about the characters, everything was fairly chaotic (in media res, as intended) and it left me with a slight "yeah.. OK.." feeling, but I was at least intrigued -- and I knew it was supposed to get better. I rated the second book with 4 stars, and the third 5 …

Characterization doesn't change much, but the series focuses more on epic themes rather than individual characters.

By the way, I just wanted to add The Sword of Shadows to my to-read list, only to find out it's already there. At least it wasn't on my "already read" list. :D

Finished 'Girl on the Train' - took my time and re-read 'Slapstick' by Vonnegut after we decided to put off seeing the film. It was a solid book, shame that the reviews indicate they failed to deliver a decent movie!

Just started reading "Anatomy of a Song" by jazz critic Marc Myers. I love his style of diving into music, and am thoroughly enjoying this one so far.

My first visit to the forums. Cool thread. Always looking for fantasy recommendations, as there is so much drek in the genre. I'll come back when I have more time to sift through them all.

Currently reading: Stalin's Ghost, part of a series about a Russian cop. An entertaining read by an author who can turn a phrase when he wants to.

My fantasy recommendation: Joe Abercrombie. Any fantasy fan should start read his The First Law trilogy, the first book of which is The Blade Itself. Then move on to his other books in the same world. His second trilogy, The Shattered Sea, is intended for younger readers. While still entertaining, they don't hold a candle to The First Law.

My first visit to the forums. Cool thread. Always looking for fantasy recommendations, as there is so much drek in the genre. I'll come back when I have more time to sift through them all.

Currently reading: Stalin's Ghost, part of a series about a Russian cop. An entertaining read by an author who can turn a phrase when he wants to.

My fantasy recommendation: Joe Abercrombie. Any fantasy fan should start read his The First Law trilogy, the first book of which is The Blade Itself. Then move on to his other books in the same world. His second trilogy, The Shattered Sea, is intended for younger readers. While still entertaining, they don't hold a candle to The First Law.

I love Abercrombie. I recently read Heroes (fifth First law book) and it's so far my favorite book from him.I also agree that Shattered sea isn't as good as First law but it's head and shoulders above most Young adult books.

I am currently reading Heir to Novron, last book in Riyria revelation trilogy.Great series, characters and dialogues are just wonderfully done.

Read the Discworld City Watch books. I loved them, and I liked them a lot better than the other books (those with Mort and Granny and so on).

Then again, I'd read any City Watch book.

Also my favorite Discworld series. Sam Vimes is one of my favorite characters ever.

I love Abercrombie. I recently read Heroes (fifth First law book) and it's so far my favorite book from him.I also agree that Shattered sea isn't as good as First law but it's head and shoulders above most Young adult books.

I think you have picked out the single best book, The Heroes. But I do love an epic story, so I also love The First Law trilogy. And then, of course, there is Glockta. Loves me some Glockta.

I am currently reading Heir to Novron, last book in Riyria revelation trilogy.Great series, characters and dialogues are just wonderfully done.

Also my favorite Discworld series. Sam Vimes is one of my favorite characters ever.

I have certainly heard of both these series before but have yet to pull the trigger. Since you've correctly identified The Heroes as Abercrombie's best book, I'll pull it now. Theft of Swords is next in the audiobook queue and The Colour of Magic on the Kindle.

Just finished "All the Birds in the Sky" by Charlie Jane Anders, a very interesting mix of SF & Fantasy, brilliant ideas and concepts, some of the writing was patchy but worth a read
Also finished this week "Vigil" by Angela Slatter. A very nicely done urban fantasy set in Brisbane, australia. Some common tropes are well handled and there are some interesting twists on others. Most enjoyable. Also while it is listed as first in a series it does actually stand well by itself.

I think you have picked out the single best book, The Heroes. But I do love an epic story, so I also love The First Law trilogy. And then, of course, there is Glockta. Loves me some Glockta.
I have certainly heard of both these series before but have yet to pull the trigger. Since you've correctly identified The Heroes as Abercrombie's best book, I'll pull it now. Theft of Swords is next in the audiobook queue and The Colour of Magic on the Kindle.

Glokta is also one of my favorite characters if not the favorite ever but Wirrun is also close..

I liked Color of magic but keep in mind that it's far from the best of Discworld series only gets better.

Let me be another person to recommend the works of J.V. Jones. I've read everything available and enjoyed it all.

Finished Stonewielder. It was a good read, but sadly Esslemont's books (so far) haven't grabbed me as much as Erikson's. Going to continue reading his series though, just because it does flesh out the Malazan universe.

I also read The Neverending Story. Wanted to like it, because in theory it's right up my alley, but was disappointed. The first half is what the 80s movie was about, which I liked (though not loved) even as a kid, but the second half was, except for the ending parts perhaps, rather boring.

Continued with Ancillary Sword and Ancillary Mercy, books 2 and 3 of the trilogy. Good reads. Lots and lots of tea drinking. I liked the series as a whole, though it didn't exactly blow me away.

Now going to enter the final Malazan stretch with Dust of Dreams, Erikson's book #9.

I'm reading Daniel Abraham, "the dragon's path". The first installment of the dagger and the coin five book story.
I like it a lot until now.

Still bouncing between the Wild Card series and the lesser series that Martin is known for, those throne books. After refinishing these I'll most likely look for some new series to check out.

Reading 6th Malazan book, Bonehunters.

I recently finished The Vagrant. Post-apocalyptic science fantasy book with mute protagonist. It was great and refreshing read.

I've been busy on Goodreads mostly, but here's what I read since my last update

The Fifth Season by N.K. Jemisin
I fine read. Made me think a lot, even after I finished it. Several things often reminded me of the Anime three-parter Green Legend Ran -- check it out if you like post-apocalyptic settings (the story itself was fairly standard, IIRC). Back to the Fifth Season: I enjoyed the world building. The POV thing took some getting used to, but worked quite well. The book tackles some important themes. I'm definitely going to read the sequels, although I guess I'll wait until the final part is out before continuing. 4/5

Foundation's Edge (Foundation #4) by Isaac Asimov
Thoroughly enjoyed this one and even more so than the original trilogy. A real page-turner, intricately plotted with various layers, and even though some themes seemed familiar and I could guess at some things, it was a very fun read. I liked how the story was continued, even though this is a standalone (with a mild cliffhanger). 5/5

Foundation and Earth (Foundation #5) by Isaac Asimov
I felt relatively disappointed. Foundation's Edge had multiple POVs, new behind-the-scenes mysteries to pop up in every chapter, converging stories and interesting musings, all against the backdrop of the Seldon Plan.
This book lacked almost all of those. There's only one POV and instead of a grand mystery we get a smallish feeling adventure journey with mostly bickering protagonists. I liked the ending though and I'm looking forward to continue reading the series after a break: next up will be Robots and Empire and The End of Eternity, followed at some point by the two Foundation prequels. 2/5

Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson
Typical Sanderson and as such very likable, although it seemed more subdued than his other books. It didn't help that most of the characters were either rather clueless and naive most of the time (part of the setting) or chose not to reveal anything (part of the plot), so for me there was never any real sense of urgency or direction until the final chapters.
Or maybe I just prefer longer books / series. 3/5

Matter (Culture #8) by Iain M. Banks
I love reading about the Culture. Luckily I still have two books ahead of me. This one had some purely medieval bits in it in the beginning, which I find I don't enjoy as much as the high tech stuff (not when I'm reading SciFi anyway -- Inversions was my least favorite so far because of this; as opposed to The Player of Games and Excession, which I loved). But it serves as another edge case scenario that puts the Culture in context, shedding some additional light on the different stages of civilizations and how they can be intertwined. 4/5

The State of the Art (short story collection) by Iain M. Banks
I only read the two Culture stories, "A Gift from the Culture" and "The State of the Art". The former was too short for me to form an opinion, really. The titular story was pretty interesting and had some nice musings on Earth and Humanity. 3/5

.. and then I decided to take a break from Fantasy & SciFi, so I'm currently busy reading The Far Pavilions by M. M. Kaye, a loooong Adventure novel of British-Indian history with romantic elements. I'm three chapters in and it's a very nice and smooth reading experience so far.

Back
Top Bottom