InXile Entertainment - Working on a Next Generation RPG

Who remembers Stonekeep? Who remembered Wasteland when they decided to revive it and make a sequel? If they can revive Wasteland, they can revive Stonekeep.

You didnt get the point. InXile as independent developer was focused on niche audience. I am implying this will change, or rather, it already changed since they are part of corporate.

Yes, I could believe inXile would be interested in Stonekeep 2 development, but I would be super surprised if MS would be interested in that as well. Thats all.

The Hulk makes a good point. I'd never heard of Wasteland before the fundraising campaign to make Wasteland 2. And you could play with a lot of fun ideas to bring back the Stonekeep feel - a realistic-feeling in-game notebook (I thought this was so freakin cool - and not many games have done it), live acting for that goddess chick...and then the fights. What I loved about Stonekeep was that it wasn't the typical Wizardry dungeon crawler where there was a divide between walking and combat. So you could bring back fun things like throwing rocks and hitting goblins in the head. Adding character customization and cooking/crafting would modernize the world without removing its unique vibe. And if you're daring, you could imagine what I think the original designers at least had in mind - a subterranean world that felt alive. It could really work. But it does seem like something an indie company would be a lot more keen to try than some AAA developer trying to cash in on some console hybrid...thing.

And if it's steampunk, not only is that exciting in its own right, but I'd love to see an Arcanum remake. I'm probably gonna get flak for this but I found the original awkward and difficult to play. If they remade it and it felt even a little bit like Pillars of Eternity (which plays smoothly, no matter if you love it or hate it), that would be something worth wishing for.

And if it's steampunk, not only is that exciting in its own right, but I'd love to see an Arcanum remake. I'm probably gonna get flak for this but I found the original awkward and difficult to play. If they remade it and it felt even a little bit like Pillars of Eternity (which plays smoothly, no matter if you love it or hate it), that would be something worth wishing for.

Kindly hand in your RPG fan card. ;)

In all seriousness, yeah, Arcanum was kind of awkward even back when it was released. It was still a fantastic experience though.

That said, I'm not sure I'd want a remake. I'd rather see something set in the same universe but with more modern gameplay and QOL conveniences.

The Hulk makes a good point. I'd never heard of Wasteland before the fundraising campaign to make Wasteland 2. And you could play with a lot of fun ideas to bring back the Stonekeep feel - a realistic-feeling in-game notebook (I thought this was so freakin cool - and not many games have done it), live acting for that goddess chick…and then the fights. What I loved about Stonekeep was that it wasn't the typical Wizardry dungeon crawler where there was a divide between walking and combat. So you could bring back fun things like throwing rocks and hitting goblins in the head. Adding character customization and cooking/crafting would modernize the world without removing its unique vibe. And if you're daring, you could imagine what I think the original designers at least had in mind - a subterranean world that felt alive. It could really work. But it does seem like something an indie company would be a lot more keen to try than some AAA developer trying to cash in on some console hybrid…thing.

Speaking of Steampunk, a friend of mine thought that Arcanum was the first steampunk rpg for the pc when it came out. I had to tell him there was at least one earlier steampunk rpg for the pc called Thunderscape. He said he would like to try it out someday when he had time but I don't know if he ever got around to it.

I like Arcanum for its exploration, role playing, cities and music. The things I generally had trouble with were its graphics, combat/skill system, and quality of life stuff. Unfortunately for Troika most RPGs are rated for their combat and graphical presentation. I tend to agree with RPGs being rated that way myself. I think of Arcanum as a flawed gem that is best played at an easy difficulty level to avoid annoyances - especially if you go the way of the gun.

Speaking of Steampunk, a friend of mine thought that Arcanum was the first steampunk rpg for the pc when it came out. I had to tell him there was at least one earlier steampunk rpg for the pc called Thunderscape. He said he would like to try it out someday when he had time but I don't know if he ever got around to it.

That's actually on GOG.

https://www.gog.com/game/thunderscape

Kindly hand in your RPG fan card. ;)

In all seriousness, yeah, Arcanum was kind of awkward even back when it was released. It was still a fantastic experience though.

That said, I'm not sure I'd want a remake. I'd rather see something set in the same universe but with more modern gameplay and QOL conveniences.

Yeah, that's totally a valid point. :)

Wow. :eek: Okay, maybe I should hand in my RPG Fan Card like JDR said because this is the first I'm hearing about Thunderscape. ^.^;;

Stonekeep 2 would be fine, but please, no songs this time!

So they finally completed Wasteland 3? :p

Sorry but my first contact with them was really not convincing. I'll watch from a safe distance. :)

I'm confused by your comment....they did release the game...

I'm confused by your comment… they did release the game
I'm sure they claim as much, but I had too many problems such as game freezing, enemy fire through concrete, and the annoying fact it's hard-coded to QWERTY keyboards with an option to remap keys that doesn't work. So to me, it wasn't a release yet. I saw those problems had been reported by quite many other people for a while too.

After trying to reach the support several times and finally being answered they "would maybe consider fixing the issues but no guarantee", and after waiting again but in vain, I ultimately got a refund (first and only time I asked that - gog.com have been nice in that regard).

So that's my first experience with InXile, and needless to say, the last. I can cope with bugs, if they're acknowledged and fixed in due time, but not that attitude of "no support, let them fix the problems by themselves in the forums" on top of it.

Back
Top Bottom