The TV Series discussion thread

I've just finished The Americans, enjoyed it as much as the first time! The last episodes aren't the easiest to watch, but they took the time to bring it to its proper conclusion.

I'll have a look at The Right Stuff, the 2020 series. The 1983 movie was good, but I'm not sure what Disney made of that, the scores aren't flying as high as Mercury space capsules (sorry, spacecraft ;)).

I've just finished The Americans, enjoyed it as much as the first time! The last episodes aren't the easiest to watch, but they took the time to bring it to its proper conclusion.

I didn't like everything about that last season but there are a couple of all timer scenes that will stick with me forever:
When Philip heart-breakingly demonstrates to Paige that she hasn't a clue about him or what she's gotten into, and of course the train scene.

Oh man, all these posts about the Americans, and I just finished re-watching one of the best episodes of the entire series, A Roy Rogers in Franconia, the twelfth of series four. In this one we see the aftermath of Paige processing what went down with a very violent would-be mugging that almost happened to her and her mum, except Elizabeth broke out some krav maga....and those assailants had a very bad evening. Now THIS is telly worth viewing, this particular episode sees several of the Soviets having serious misgivings about their respective assignments, with Oleg practically warning Stan about a particular goal that the Soviets are working on. There are so many payoffs in this episode, some dating back years in the making, when some shows are riding comfortably and not taking chances in their later to mid series, the Americans turn it up eleven notches!

I didn't like everything about that last season but there are a couple of all timer scenes that will stick with me forever:
When Philip heart-breakingly demonstrates to Paige that she hasn't a clue about him or what she's gotten into, and of course the train scene.

Yeah, those two scenes were quite harsh.
Elizabeth also comes very hard on Paige a few times, completely crushing her. Once when she heard a gun fire and was worried for her mother, and in the last season for that fight in the bar - the same reason Philip did what you mentioned. When I saw him visiting Paige, I first thought he would take his usual, more understanding approach, then instead he does this...
It really shows how precarious their life is, and how they must bear this weigh all the time.

There are so many payoffs in this episode, some dating back years in the making, when some shows are riding comfortably and not taking chances in their later to mid series, the Americans turn it up eleven notches!
It was nice. It's also around those episodes that we get a glimpse about the several layers of the KGB, the decisions coming at a higher level then how it translates on Elizabeth and Philip.

I like the play around Stan, too, he's really a strange character. He keeps getting slapped in the face, but stands firm. It's never obvious what he's thinking, sometimes he looks so naive, but so smart at the same time.

Stan is pretty odd, half the time it's hard to believe he's an actual agent, because he seems so lethargic in his work, and then every so often he flares with absolute brilliance. I really like that actor too, so that helps.

Elizabeth is an odd duck for sure, yet once you realize she simply has no emotional depth, much of her behviour makes perfect sense. She's like a computer running a very complicated program, for most of the show. Knowing the backround of the town she was raised in right after the war also serves to educate the viewers as to how her childhood was fairly unique, when compared to someone raised in North America.

Last night I polished off series four of Americans and series three of the Man in the High Castle. Both are brilliant in these series, Man in the High Castle took a while to get going, yet once it did it delivered some great dividends. Americans, as always, simply never flounders.

Next up will be a re-watch of series six of Downton Abbey, in conjunction with series four of Line of Duty. Britain versus Ireland, natch! (well, Northern Ireland. Don't even get me started on that mess!=p).

I'm on episode 9 of season 5 of Breaking Bad. All's still very solid. But one thing I did not like was the gimmicky way that they handled how Hank starts to investigate Walt.

Really? He just randomly finds the Walt Witman book that the other chemist dude dedicated to Walter? Really? That was so lame.

Also, they frikkin killed off one of my favorite characters. Mike. Fuck

Regardless, I did like how Hank reacts. That felt intense.

Anyway. I have around 8 more episodes it seems. Other than those complaints, I'm still liking it a lot. It's very solid. But to be honest, nothing really groundbreaking. I'm curious how they wrap it up. The season 4 wrapup was pretty great.

Ok, nevermind it’s stupid again.
Walt forgets the book in the bathroom when Hank is visiting, but then Walt remembers to check that the book is still there when he later on vomits. That is really reaching. Anyway, it’s sad that they couldn’t do a better job with this. Really pulls me out of it.

Last edited:
Yeah I really liked the Hank character, yet sadly they play him as some brain-dead wanker for ninety percent of the entire series. I also quite enjoy the actor, Dean Norris I think's the name?

I watched episode one of series four, Line of Duty last night, and daaammmmmnnn...that ending with the forensic bloke holding a bone saw over the detective...gave me some serious willies. Just when I think I've seen it all, this darn show cranks it up a notch and makes me say, "golly".

I finished the Ozymandias episode. I think I heard about this one a long time ago.

And this episode really pushed Walt into definite "evil" territory. Especially how he treated Jesse. God damn.

The weird thing is, I'm not sure I understood why he just wanted to turn the proverbial blade inside Jesse by telling him he let Jane die.

Why? Did he really have that much of an attachment to Hank? I really did not get his whole turn when he realizes that Hank and Gomez are with Jesse looking for him. I'd imagine he'd have more o a personal connection with Jesse than with Hank.

I expected him to let the nazi mercenaries leave, and for him then to leave with Jesse. And not reveal Jesse to the nazis. Maybe I was naive.

Anyway, really intense episode.

Maybe start its own thread if you're going to post about every episode? Just a thought. ;)

*Edit* Nevermind, I just realized you're only 2 episodes from the end. Should be interesting to see what you think about the finale.

Last edited:
Again, Walter White folks, one of the biggest and nastiest villains ever created for the silver screen. Watch this endangered animal in its' natural habitat, consuming others at will with no regard whatsoever, other than his own pathetic agenda. He honestly makes Tepes, Stalin, and Hitler look like novices. His scale is just a tad bit smaller.

You can quote me.

So I finished Breaking Bad. Still have to watch El Camino.

Overall a very enjoyable experience. Though I have to say, I think the last season is probably the worst one. They lost so many of the characters or the dynamics between them that made the show great. Gus and Mike in particular.

I liked the ending, but it felt a bit tame. I liked that they didn't corrupt Jesse, and left him "pure" and didn't just turn him into a vengeful prick. But man the scriptwriters really tortured that guy. Throughout the whole series he's constantly getting beatup, loses close ones, gets tortured. Holy hell.

I also liked that during Walt's chat with Skyler, he was finally more truthful in what motivated him through all of this. His ego, he went powerhungry and selfishness. And I'm sure a lot of the worst people in the world follow a similar path.

Great series overall. But it still doesn't trump Mr. Robot. But it's probably up there, top 5 series of mine. Now onto El Camino, and probably Better Call Saul.

What I'm happy about Better Call Saul is that I see that all my favorite seconday characters in BB seem to be very prominent in BCS. Mike, Gus and Saul.

Again, Walter White folks, one of the biggest and nastiest villains ever created for the silver screen. Watch this endangered animal in its' natural habitat, consuming others at will with no regard whatsoever, other than his own pathetic agenda. He honestly makes Tepes, Stalin, and Hitler look like novices. His scale is just a tad bit smaller.

You can quote me.

Are you sure you don't want to repeat how you feel about him a few more times? Some of us might not have a clear picture yet.

So I finished Breaking Bad. Still have to watch El Camino.

Overall a very enjoyable experience. Though I have to say, I think the last season is probably the worst one. They lost so many of the characters or the dynamics between them that made the show great. Gus and Mike in particular.

I liked the ending, but it felt a bit tame. I liked that they didn't corrupt Jesse, and left him "pure" and didn't just turn him into a vengeful prick. But man the scriptwriters really tortured that guy. Throughout the whole series he's constantly getting beatup, loses close ones, gets tortured. Holy hell.

I also liked that during Walt's chat with Skyler, he was finally more truthful in what motivated him through all of this. His ego, he went powerhungry and selfishness. And I'm sure a lot of the worst people in the world follow a similar path.

I actually didn't like the finale. I felt like what he managed to pull off was just too much of a stretch. I agree it's a great show though.

I actually didn't like the finale. I felt like what he managed to pull off was just too much of a stretch. I agree it's a great show though.

They did play it very much safe with the ending. They tied everything up with a nice bow.

And especially since Walt dies from a stray bullet of his own contraption.

But even though it was safe, I was just happy that in the end Walt and Jesse kind of buried their hatchet. They had great chemistry throughout the show, even though Walt was constantly "working" Jesse and trying to manipulate him with every opportunity.

I think it's very risky to attempt to pull the rug off from people that invest years in watching your series. In an attempt to have a twist, or something different than expected. You have to have it planned out very well, and even then it's a gamble.

I think that's why I consider Mr. Robot my top series of all time. Besides being very original and smart throughout, they also manage a fantastic ending that you do not expect at all. Just thinking about it now gave me goosebumps.

I don't think they played it that safe considering the outcome.
I think that's why I consider Mr. Robot my top series of all time. Besides being very original and smart throughout, they also manage a fantastic ending that you do not expect at all. Just thinking about it now gave me goosebumps.

I haven't seen Mr Robot yet, but wasn't that cancelled?

Mr Robot finished as planned. Was always going to be just a few seasons!!

I don't think they played it that safe considering the outcome.

I think the outcome is pretty much what I think most people would have expected. Not sure how else it could have ended. Of course, I can't say much more on this, since the ending was spoiled for me. That was awful btw. Throughout the last 2 or 3 episodes I was hyperaware of expecting the spoiled ending. Wasn't a good experience.

I think the only different thing that could have been different is who kills him. This way, it's somewhat random and no one claims that responsibility. I was really expecting them to just pull off a "Jesse kills him in the end". Glad it didn't happen that way. But him dying from a stray bullet isn't that much better either. Not sure who would've been best to kill him. Not Jesse, that's for sure.

Of course, theoretically you could have had Walt continue his drug empire in a different country? But that would've been even more deflating. Plus it would lack an actual end to the character.
I haven't seen Mr Robot yet, but wasn't that cancelled?

Yeah, I keep hearing that, but I'm not sure where that idea spawned from. I don't think it was ever cancelled. From what I've read, Mr. Robot was initially intended as a movie script, but the creator failed to get funding. But later on somehow got funding for a tv series. It was planned for 4-5 seasons. And I think due to low viewership it was decided that the 4th one would be the last season. But this was before work on the 4th season started. So they had plenty of time to wrap everythin up nicely. And, not just nicely. Fantastically, imo. Best ending to a tv series imo.

It's definitely not a mainstream kind of tv series, though it does deal in plenty of mainstream ideas. But I hear from a lot of people that give up after the first season. No idea why though. I loved it to the end. It does deal with plenty of depressive subject matter. And the main character suffers from some serious mental issues. But I found myself in him quite a bit, so I'm not sure what that says about me. :D

Another distrinctive thing about Mr Robot is that the whole script and the whole show is directed by the creator, Sam Esmail. It also has a very distinctive look and feel.

I think the outcome is pretty much what I think most people would have expected. Not sure how else it could have ended. Of course, I can't say much more on this, since the ending was spoiled for me. That was awful btw. Throughout the last 2 or 3 episodes I was hyperaware of expecting the spoiled ending. Wasn't a good experience.

I think the only different thing that could have been different is who kills him. This way, it's somewhat random and no one claims that responsibility. I was really expecting them to just pull off a "Jesse kills him in the end". Glad it didn't happen that way. But him dying from a stray bullet isn't that much better either. Not sure who would've been best to kill him. Not Jesse, that's for sure.

Of course, theoretically you could have had Walt continue his drug empire in a different country? But that would've been even more deflating. Plus it would lack an actual end to the character.
Yeah, I don't think most people necessarily expected that, and there are definitely ways they could have played it safer. Everyone will have a different view though.

Yeah, I keep hearing that, but I'm not sure where that idea spawned from. I don't think it was ever cancelled. From what I've read, Mr. Robot was initially intended as a movie script, but the creator failed to get funding. But later on somehow got funding for a tv series. It was planned for 4-5 seasons. And I think due to low viewership it was decided that the 4th one would be the last season. But this was before work on the 4th season started. So they had plenty of time to wrap everythin up nicely. And, not just nicely. Fantastically, imo. Best ending to a tv series imo.

I'll have to check it out. I recently watch 'The Little Things' with Rami Malek, and he was pretty good in that even though Jared Leto stole the show. I see Christian Slater is in it too, and I've always liked him.

I'll have to check it out. I recently watch 'The Little Things' with Rami Malek, and he was pretty good in that even though Jared Leto stole the show. I see Christian Slater is in it too, and I've always liked him.

Yeah, Rami absolutely steals the show in Mr. Robot. He also has the perfect face for the type of character he plays.

Mr. Robot was a good show, I thought it started off a tad slow yet grew into something quite special. Apologies in advance if I've praised the show before!

Back
Top Bottom