Amplitude Studios - HUMANKIND will not have Denuvo

I sometimes thought that DRM was just used as an vehicle to show a group's rockstar hackerness … so to say. It's like the "Rockstar Syndrome" : Hackerz get their attention because they hacked a DRM in the first place. I sometimes think that getting attention was their main goal. "Liberating games" was in that theory more an afterthought.

And because hackerz did that in the first place, they started an arms race, I think …

Nowadays, with all of this Steam and Launcher de facto DRMs going on, I bet that most Hackerz groups from decades ago still have no work anymore - at least on the DRM side.
Maybe they found other targets to hack.

Meanwhile I'm ranting on hacking . I never understood why there never were any hackerz boasting they had hacked the account of a criminal …
Criminals seem to the onlooker from the outside to be too hot to be hacked or something … Hackerz were never touching the *real* crime. At least I never read of something boasting about that.

Yeah, I don't know many software creators myself, save back in the days when I was close with some Micropose folks, and of course I knew a few at Beamdog when I lived in Edmonton. They didn't exactly rant about theft/piracy, yet it was a concern of theirs, and I can completely understand. So many people seem to think it's a right or something of theirs to steal from others, a philosophy I find hard to support.

I copied a lot of stuff when I had a C64. I was a kid at school, with no money to spend on games, and initially mostly interested in programming anyway.

The copying part came from friends showing it to me, and it felt natural, we started exchanging tapes and disks. In a twisted logic, it wasn't theft, since I wasn't going to buy those games and I was mostly trying them quickly, then discarding them - I did buy a few when I could, games that mattered to me.

As @Alrik Fassbauer; says, each cracker group used to put a little file with their logo, aliases, names of other cracked games, some bits of news… It was really "hacker creds". I'm sure it's still ongoing; when I looked into the Denuvo phenomenon, some known groups were competing to be the first to crack each game and advertising it on websites.

I haven't done that anymore from the moment I got a job. I even bought back music and movies that I had copied before, to "settle the score". I blame young age and the reckless behaviour that comes with it ;)

Yeah I remember those logo chip tones. Fun fact Denuvo was developed by a few of those old school scene members. They went against the underground to make money.

Nowadays they sold the DRM to a security company called Irdeto.

Yeah, that reminds of the demo scene stuff, like Red Sector.

Nod, when I bought my commodore back in the day, the guy that sold it to me was facing charges for breaking into several facilities via modem technology, and he gave me all that software. When I realized what it was, I chucked all that insidious material. I paid a pretty penny for his library and computer I don't think I had to buy many games, until the gold box era bloomed. He had this really funky modem that worked much better than anything I'd ever used up to that point, that was a keeper, it made using bbs's a complete breeze.

Oh, right. When I say "little file", many even put little demos while the game was loading, or at the intro.

Here are a few. Those guys were probably doing real demos too :)

BBS, it was great but I don't miss that, having to steal a few minutes of the phone line to connect, those were awkward times :lol:

I'll rest easier knowing a few clenchers won't have to have an e-siezure about this in multiple Steam threads. It'll spare many eyes the wasted scan and ignore.

I'm not a fan of the stuff, since I actually pay for my games, but it's incredibly rare that DRM has ever affected me playing a game - and not in the last 20 years. Back in the dark ages of physical media maybe once.

I think this is exaggerated and/or distorted for the most part.

I've played an early version of this a bit - and it looks rather good.

It only took a few decades to meaningfully evolve the Civ formula :)

Well, Call to Power did it in a few significant ways - but, for whatever reason, Civilization itself seems to almost never evolve much at all.

I'm almost certainly getting this.

Oh, and as for Denuvo - I guess I never cared all that much.

Back
Top Bottom